- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 420156, 9 pages
The Impact of Host Metabolic Factors on Treatment Outcome in Chronic Hepatitis C
14th Department of Internal Medicine, Hippokration General Hospital of Thessaloniki, Medical School of Aristotle University, 54642 Thessaloniki, Greece
2Department of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases Hospital of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
32nd Department of Internal Medicine, Hippokration General Hospital of Athens, University of Athens Medical School, 11527 Athens, Greece
4Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Patras, 26504 Rio Patras, Greece
Received 31 October 2011; Revised 23 January 2012; Accepted 1 February 2012
Academic Editor: Edoardo G. Giannini
Copyright © 2012 Savvidou Savvoula et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. P. Manns, J. G. McHutchison, S. C. Gordon, et al., “Peginterferon α-2b in combination with ribavirin compared to interferon α-2b plus ribavirin for initial treatment of chronic hepatitis C: results of a randomized trial,” The Lancet, vol. 358, pp. 958–965, 2001.
- M. W. Fried, M. L. Shiffman, K. Rajender Reddy et al., “Peginterferon α-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 13, pp. 975–982, 2002.
- S. J. Hadziyannis, H. Sette, T. R. Morgan et al., “Peginterferon-α2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized study of treatment duration and ribavirin dose,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 346–I67, 2004.
- P. Marcellin, T. Asselah, and N. Boyer, “Fibrosis and disease progression in hepatitis C,” Hepatology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. S47–S56, 2002.
- F. Negro, “Hepatitis C virus and liver steatosis: when fat is not beautiful,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 533–535, 2004.
- H. M. Patton, K. Patel, C. Behling et al., “The impact of steatosis on disease progression and early and sustained treatment response in chronic hepatitis C patients,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 484–490, 2004.
- A. Lonardo, P. Loria, L. E. Adinolfi, N. Carulli, and G. Ruggiero, “Hepatitis C and steatosis: a reappraisal,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 73–80, 2006.
- A. Lonardo, L. E. Adinolfi, P. Loria, N. Carulli, G. Ruggiero, and C. P. Day, “Steatosis and hepatitis C virus: mechanisms and significance for hepatic and extrahepatic disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 586–597, 2004.
- L. E. Adinolfi, E. Durante-Mangoni, R. Zampino, and G. Ruggiero, “Review article: hepatitis C virus-associated steatosis-pathogenic mechanisms and clinical implications,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 52–55, 2005.
- T. Poynard, V. Ratziu, J. McHutchison et al., “Effect of treatment with peginterferon or interferon α-2b and ribavirin on steatosis in patients infected with hepatitis C,” Hepatology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 75–85, 2003.
- A. R. El-Zayadi, “Hepatic steatosis: a benign disease or a silent killer,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 26, pp. 4120–4126, 2008.
- T. Asselah, L. Rubbia-Brandt, P. Marcellin, and F. Negro, “Steatosis in chronic hepatitis C: why does it really matter?” Gut, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 123–130, 2006.
- L. Castera, P. Chouteau, C. Hezode, E. S. Zafrani, D. Dhumeaux, and J. M. Pawlotsky, “Hepatitis C virus-induced hepatocellular steatosis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 711–715, 2005.
- S. A. Harrison, E. M. Brunt, R. A. Qazi et al., “Effect of significant histologic steatosis or steatohepatitis on response to antiviral therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 604–609, 2005.
- A. J. Sanyal, M. J. Contos, R. K. Sterling et al., “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in patients with hepatitis C is associated with features of the metabolic syndrome,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 9, pp. 2064–2071, 2003.
- L. Rubbia-Brandt, R. Quadri, K. Abid et al., “Hepatocyte steatosis is a cytopathic effect of hepatitis C virus genotype 3,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 106–115, 2000.
- D. Kumar, G. C. Farrell, C. Fung, and J. George, “Hepatitis C virus genotype 3 is cytopathic to hepatocytes: reversal of hepatic steatosis after sustained therapeutic response,” Hepatology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1266–1272, 2002.
- S. T. Shi, S. J. Polyak, H. Tu, D. R. Taylor, D. R. Gretch, and M. M. C. Lai, “Hepatitis C virus NS5A colocalizes with the core protein on lipid droplets and interacts with apolipoproteins,” Virology, vol. 292, no. 2, pp. 198–210, 2002.
- L. Castera, C. Hezode, F. Roudot-Thoraval et al., “Effect of antiviral treatment on evolution of liver steatosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C: indirect evidence of a role of hepatitis C virus genotype 3 in steatosis,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 420–424, 2004.
- K. Moriya, H. Yotsuyanagi, Y. Shintani et al., “Hepatitis C virus core protein induces hepatic steatosis in transgenic mice,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 78, no. 7, pp. 1527–1531, 1997.
- F. Negro and A. J. Sanyal, “Hepatitis C virus, steatosis and lipid abnormalities: clinical and pathogenic data,” Liver International, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 26–37, 2009.
- M. Soresi, S. Tripi, V. Franco et al., “Impact of liver steatosis on the antiviral response in the hepatitis C virus-associated chronic hepatitis,” Liver International, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1119–1125, 2006.
- K. C. Thomopoulos, G. J. Theocharis, A. C. Tsamantas et al., “Liver steatosis is an independent risk factor for treatment failure in patients with chronic hepatitis C,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 149–153, 2005.
- R. Yaginuma, K. Ikejima, K. Okumura et al., “Hepatic steatosis is a predictor of poor response to interferon α-2b and ribavirin combination therapy in Japanese patients with chronic hepatitis C,” Hepatology Research, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 2006.
- C. Y. Dai, J. F. Huang, M. Y. Hsieh et al., “Insulin resistance predicts response to peginterferon-α/ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C patients,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 712–718, 2009.
- B. L. Bressler, M. Guindi, G. Tomlinson, and J. Heathcote, “High body mass index is an independent risk factor for nonresponse to antiviral treatment in chronic hepatitis C,” Hepatology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 639–644, 2003.
- M. J. Walsh, J. R. Jonsson, M. M. Richardson et al., “Non-response to antiviral therapy is associated with obesity and increased hepatic expression of suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 (SOCS-3) in patients with chronic hepatitis C, viral genotype 1,” Gut, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 529–535, 2006.
- M. Romero-Gomez, M. Del Mar Viloria, R. J. Andrade et al., “Insulin resistance impairs sustained response rate to peginterferon plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C patients,” Gastroenterology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 636–641, 2005.
- R. D'Souza, C. A. Sabin, and G. R. Foster, “Insulin resistance plays a significant role in liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C and in the response to antiviral therapy,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 1509–1515, 2005.
- A. Zekry, J. G. McHutchison, and A. M. Diehl, “Insulin resistance and steatosis in hepatitis C virus infection,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 903–906, 2005.
- P. Bedossa and T. Poynard, “An algorithm for the grading of activity in chronic hepatitis C. The METAVIR cooperative study group,” Hepatology, vol. 24, pp. 289–293, 1996.
- E. M. Brunt, “Grading and staging the histopathological lesions of chronic hepatitis: the Knodell histology activity index and beyond,” Hepatology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 241–246, 2000.
- E. M. Brunt, C. G. Janney, A. M. Di Bisceglie, B. A. Neuschwander-Tetri, and B. R. Bacon, “Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: a proposal for grading and staging the histological lesions,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 2467–2474, 1999.
- D. B. Strader, T. Wright, D. L. Thomas, and L. B. Seeff, “Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C,” Hepatology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1147–1171, 2004.
- M. Khattab, M. Eslam, M. A. Sharwae, M. Shatat, A. Ali, and L. Hamdy, “Insulin resistance predicts rapid virologic response to peginterferon/ribavirin combination therapy in hepatitis C genotype 4 patients,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 9, pp. 1970–1977, 2010.
- H. El Makhzangy, G. Esmat, M. Said et al., “Response to pegylated interferon α-2a and ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C genotype 4,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 1576–1583, 2009.
- G. López-Alonso, M. Agreda, M. J. Devesa et al., “Results of the treatment of chronic hepatitis C genotype 4: a comparative analysis with genotype 1,” Revista Espanola de Enfermedades Digestivas, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 208–211, 2008.
- D. Roulot, V. Bourcier, V. Grando et al., “Epidemiological characteristics and response to peginterferon plus ribavirin treatment of hepatitis C virus genotype 4 infection,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 460–467, 2007.
- S. Savvidou, I. Goulis, D. Chrysagis, et al., “Patients with genotype 4 HCV infection respond worse to 48week combination therapy with peginterferon α plus ribavirin when compared to patients with genotype 1: the greek experience,” Hepatology, vol. 52, supplement 1, p. 792A, 2010.
- K. R. Reddy, S. Govindarajan, P. Marcellin et al., “Hepatic steatosis in chronic hepatitis C: baseline host and viral characteristics and influence on response to therapy with peginterferon α-2a plus ribavirin,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 129–136, 2008.
- C. A. L. Matos, R. M. Perez, M. S. Pacheco et al., “Steatosis in chronic hepatitis C: relationship to the virus and host risk factors,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1236–1239, 2006.
- M. Romero-Gomez, V. M. Castellano-Megias, L. Grande et al., “Serum leptin levels correlate with hepatic steatosis in chronic hepatitis C,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 1135–1141, 2003.
- L. E. Adinolfi, M. Gambardella, A. Andreana, M. F. Tripodi, R. Utili, and G. Ruggiero, “Steatosis accelerates the progression of liver damage of chronic hepatitis C patients and correlates with specific HCV genotype and visceral obesity,” Hepatology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1358–1364, 2001.
- L. Fartoux, A. Poujol-Robert, J. Guéchot, D. Wendum, R. Poupon, and L. Serfaty, “Insulin resistance is a cause of steatosis and fibrosis progression in chronic hepatitis C,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1003–1008, 2005.