- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 425079, 6 pages
The Role of Serum Cytokines in the Pathogenesis of Hepatic Osteodystrophy in Male Cirrhotic Patients
1Department of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
2Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
3Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Acıbadem University, 34848 Istanbul, Turkey
4Department of Oncology, Ankara Oncology Hospital, 06200 Ankara, Turkey
5Health Services Vocational School, Trakya University, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
6Department of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
Received 15 July 2012; Revised 10 September 2012; Accepted 10 September 2012
Academic Editor: Gianfranco D. Alpini
Copyright © 2012 Ali Riza Soylu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. D. Leslie, C. N. Bernstein, and M. S. Leboff, “AGA technical review on osteoporosis in hepatic disorders,” Gastroenterology, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 941–966, 2003.
- T. H. Diamond, D. Stiel, M. Lunzer, D. McDowall, R. P. Eckstein, and S. Posen, “Hepatic osteodystrophy. Static and dynamic bone histomorphometry and serum bone Gla-protein in 80 patients with chronic liver disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 213–221, 1989.
- J. A. Cuthbert, C. Y. C. Pak, J. E. Zerwekh, K. D. Glass, and B. Combes, “Bone disease in primary biliary cirrhosis: increased bone resorption and turnover in the absence of osteoporosis or osteomalacia,” Hepatology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 1984.
- A. J. Stellon, A. Webb, and J. E. Compston, “Bone histomorphometry and structure in corticosteroid treated chronic active hepatitis,” Gut, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 378–384, 1988.
- B. C. Lalor, M. W. France, D. Powell, P. H. Adams, and T. B. Counichan, “Bone and mineral metabolism and chronic alcohol abuse,” Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 59, no. 229, pp. 497–511, 1986.
- G. W. McCaughan and R. B. Feller, “Osteoporosis in chronic liver disease: pathogenesis, risk factors, and management,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 223–231, 1994.
- R. Lindsay and F. Cosman, “Osteoporosis,” in Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, E. Braunwald, A. S. Fauci, D. L. Casper, et al., Eds., chapter 348, p. 2405, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- J. Pfeilschifter, C. Chenu, A. Bird, G. R. Mundy, and G. D. Roodman, “Interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor stimulate the formation of human osteoclastlike cells in vitro,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 113–118, 1989.
- G. van der Pluijm, W. Most, L. van der Wee-Pals, H. de Groot, S. Papapoulos, and C. Lowik, “Two distinct effects of recombinant human tumor necrosis factor-α on osteoclast development and subsequent resorption of mineralized matrix,” Endocrinology, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 1596–1604, 1991.
- D. R. Bertoli, G. E. Nedwin, and T. S. Bringman, “Stimulation of bone resorption and inhibition of bone formation in vitro by human tumour necrosis factors,” Nature, vol. 319, no. 6053, pp. 516–518, 1986.
- B. M. Thomson, G. R. Mundy, and T. J. Chambers, “Tumor necrosis factors α and β induce osteoblastic cells to stimulate osteoclastic bone resorption,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 775–779, 1987.
- A. H. Tashjian Jr., E. F. Voelkel, M. Lazzaro, D. Goad, T. Bosma, and L. Levine, “Tumor necrosis factor-α (cachectin) stimulates bone resorption in mouse calvaria via a prostaglandin-mediated mechanism,” Endocrinology, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 2029–2036, 1987.
- A. M. Diehl, “Cytokine regulation of liver injury and repair,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 174, pp. 160–171, 2000.
- H. Tilg, A. Wilmer, W. Vogel et al., “Serum levels of cytokines in chronic liver diseases,” Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 264–274, 1992.
- A. Khoruts, L. Stahnke, C. J. McClain, G. Logan, and J. I. Allen, “Circulating tumor necrosis factor, interleukin-1 and interleukin-6 concentrations in chronic alcoholic patients,” Hepatology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 267–276, 1991.
- J. L. Gonzalez-Calvin, F. Gallego-Rojo, R. Fernandez-Perez, F. Casado-Caballero, E. Ruiz-Escolano, and E. G. Olivares, “Osteoporosis, mineral metabolism, and serum soluble tumor necrosis factor receptor p55 in viral cirrhosis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 4325–4330, 2004.
- J. Dai, D. Lin, J. Zhang et al., “Chronic alcohol ingestion induces osteoclastogenesis and bone loss through IL-6 in mice,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 887–895, 2000.
- WHO Study Group, “Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopauseal osteoporosis,” Tech. Rep. SR 843, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1994.
- E. Gielen, D. Vanderschueren, F. Callewaert, and S. Boonen, “Osteoporosis in men,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 321–335, 2011.
- M. I. Nevah and M. B. Fallon, “Hepatic encephalopathy, hepatorenal syndrome, hepatopulmonary syndrome, and systemic complications of liver disease,” in Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease Pathophysiology/Diagnosis/Management, M. Feldman, L. S. Friedman, and L. J. Brandt, Eds., chapter 92, section 9, p. 1554, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 9th edition, 2010.
- G. G. Gordon, J. Olivo, F. Rafil, and A. L. Southren, “Conversion of androgens to estrogens in cirrhosis of the liver,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1018–1026, 1975.
- M. Gowen and G. R. Mundy, “Actions of recombinant interleukin 1, interleukin 2, and interferon-γ on bone resorption in vitro,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 136, no. 7, pp. 2478–2482, 1986.
- R. L. Carithers and C. J. McClain, “Alcoholic liver disease,” in Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease Patophysiology/Diagnosis/Management, M. Feldman, L. S. Friedman, and L. J. Brandt, Eds., chapter 84, section 9, p. 1387, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 9th edition, 2010.
- R. Mitchell, J. McDermid, M. M. Ma, and C. L. Chik, “MELD score, insulin like growth factor 1 and cytokines on bone density in endstage liver disease,” World Journal of Hepatology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 157–163, 2011.
- J. L. González-Calvin, J. L. Mundi, F. J. Casado-Caballero, A. C. Abadia, and J. J. Martin-Ibañez, “Bone mineral density and serum levels of soluble tumor necrosis factors, estradiol, and osteoprotegerin in postmenopausal women with cirrhosis after viral hepatitis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 4844–4850, 2009.
- V. Goral, M. Simsek, and N. Mete, “Hepatic osteodystrophy and liver cirrhosis,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 13, pp. 1639–1643, 2010.
- A. Díez-Ruiz, P. L. García-Saura, P. García-Ruiz, J. L. González-Calvin, F. Gallego-Rojo, and D. Fuchs, “Bone mineral density, bone turnover markers and cytokines in alcohol-induced cirrhosis,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 45, no. 5, Article ID agq037, pp. 427–430, 2010.
- J. L. Gonzalez-Calvin, A. Garcia-Sanchez, V. Bellot, M. Muñoz-Torres, E. Raya-Alvarez, and D. Salvatierra-Rios, “Mineral metabolism, osteoblastic function and bone mass in chronic alcoholism,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 571–579, 1993.
- D. T. Baran, S. L. Teitelbaum, and M. A. Bergfeld, “Effect of alcohol ingestion on bone and mineral metabolism in rats,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. E507–E510, 1980.