- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 431451, 6 pages
Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Radiofrequency Ablation (EUS-RFA) of the Pancreas in a Porcine Model
1Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
2School of Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22903, USA
3Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Received 13 April 2012; Accepted 21 August 2012
Academic Editor: Salem Omar
Copyright © 2012 Monica Gaidhane et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Niederhuber, M. F. Brennan, and H. R. Menck, “The National Cancer Data Base report on pancreatic cancer,” Cancer, vol. 76, pp. 1671–1677, 1995.
- A. L. Warshaw and C. Fernandez-del Castillo, “Medical progress: pancreatic carcinoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 326, no. 7, pp. 455–465, 1992.
- D. Li, K. Xie, R. Wolff, and J. L. Abbruzzese, “Pancreatic cancer,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9414, pp. 1049–1057, 2004.
- S. Carrara, P. G. Arcidiacono, L. Albarello et al., “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided application of a new hybrid cryotherm probe in porcine pancreas: a preliminary study,” Endoscopy, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 321–326, 2008.
- Y. Wu, Z. Tang, H. Fang et al., “High operative risk of cool-tip radiofrequency ablation for unresectable pancreatic head cancer 1,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 392–395, 2006.
- J. D. Spiliotis, A. C. Datsis, N. V. Michalopoulos, S. P. Kekelos, A. Vaxevanidou, and A. G. Rogdakis, “High operative risk of cool-tip radiofrequency ablation for unresectable pancreatic head cancer,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 89–90, 2007.
- P. Figueroa-Barojas, M. R. Bakhru, N. Habib, K. Ellen, M. Gaidhane, and M. Kahaleh, “387 safety and efficacy of radiofrequency ablation in the management of unresectable bile duct and pancreatic cancer: a novel palliation technique,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 73, article AB127, 2011.
- Y. Matsui, A. Nakagawa, Y. Kamiyama, K. Yamamoto, N. Kubo, and Y. Nakase, “Selective thermocoagulation of unresectable pancreatic cancers by using radiofrequency capacitive heating,” Pancreas, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 14–20, 2000.
- D. Elias, O. Baton, L. Sideris, P. Lasser, and M. Pocard, “Necrotizing pancreatitis after radiofrequency destruction of pancreatic tumours,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 85–87, 2004.
- A. K. Siriwardena, “Radiofrequency ablation for locally advanced cancer of the pancreas,” Journal of the Pancreas, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2006.
- J. D. Spiliotis, A. C. Datsis, N. V. Michalopoulos et al., “Radiofrequency ablation combined with palliative surgery may prolong survival of patients with advanced cancer of the pancreas,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 392, no. 1, pp. 55–60, 2007.
- E. R. Cosman, B. S. Nashold, and J. Ovelman-Levitt, “Theoretical aspects of radiofrequency lesions in the dorsal root entry zone,” Neurosurgery, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 945–950, 1984.
- S. N. Goldberg, S. Mallery, G. S. Gazelle, and W. R. Brugge, “EUS-guided radiofrequency ablation in the pancreas: results in a porcine model,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 392–401, 1999.
- A. W. Steel, A. J. Postgate, S. Khorsandi et al., “Endoscopically applied radiofrequency ablation appears to be safe in the treatment of malignant biliary obstruction,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 149–153, 2011.
- S. Rossi, E. Buscarini, F. Garbagnati et al., “Percutaneous treatment of small hepatic tumors by an expandable RF needle electrode,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 170, no. 4, pp. 1015–1022, 1998.
- L. Solbiati, S. N. Goldberg, T. Ierace et al., “Hepatic metastases: percutaneous radio-frequency ablation with cooled- tip electrodes,” Radiology, vol. 205, no. 2, pp. 367–373, 1997.
- Y. Anzai, R. Lufkin, A. DeSalles et al., “Preliminary experience with MR-guided thermal ablation of brain tumors,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 39–52, 1995.
- M. H. Chen, W. Yang, K. Yan et al., “Treatment efficacy of radiofrequency ablation of 338 patients with hepatic malignant tumor and the relevant complications,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 40, pp. 6395–6401, 2005.
- M. Toyoda, S. Kakizaki, K. Horiuchi et al., “Computed tomography-guided transpulmonary radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma located in hepatic dome,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 608–611, 2006.
- B. E. B. J. Van Goethem, K. W. Rosenveldt, and J. Kirpensteijn, “Monopolar versus bipolar electrocoagulation in canine laparoscopic ovariectomy: a nonrandomized, prospective, clinical trial,” Veterinary Surgery, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 464–470, 2003.
- J. M. Lee, J. K. Han, S. H. Choi et al., “Comparison of renal ablation with monopolar radiofrequency and hypertonic-saline-augmented bipolar radiofrequency: in vitro and in vivo experimental studies,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 184, no. 3, pp. 897–905, 2005.
- A. Hines-Peralta, C. Y. Hollander, S. Solazzo, C. Horkan, Z. J. Liu, and S. N. Goldberg, “Hybrid radiofrequency and cryoablation device: preliminary results in an animal model,” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1111–1120, 2004.
- S. N. Goldberg, G. S. Gazelle, S. L. Dawson, W. J. Rittman, P. R. Mueller, and D. I. Rosenthal, “Tissue ablation with radiofrequency: effect of probe size, gauge, duration, and temperature on lesion volume,” Academic Radiology, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 399–404, 1995.
- S. N. Goldberg, G. S. Gazelle, E. F. Halpern, W. J. Rittman, P. R. Mueller, and D. I. Rosenthal, “Radiofrequency tissue ablation: importance of local temperature along the electrode tip exposure in determining lesion shape and size,” Academic Radiology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 212–218, 1996.
- C. L. Tillotson, A. E. Rosenberg, and D. I. Rosenthal, “Controlled thermal injury of bone. Report of a percutaneous technique using radiofrequency electrode and generator,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 888–892, 1989.
- J. P. McGahan, J. M. Brock, H. Tesluk, W. Z. Gu, P. Schneider, and P. D. Browning, “Hepatic ablation with use of radio-frequency electrocautery in the animal model,” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 291–297, 1992.
- S. N. Goldberg, G. S. Gazelle, C. C. Compton, and T. C. McLoud, “Radiofrequency tissue ablation in the rabbit lung: efficacy and complications,” Academic Radiology, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 776–784, 1995.
- S. Varadarajulu, N. C. Jhala, and E. R. Drelichman, “EUS-guided radiofrequency ablation with a prototype electrode array system in an animal model (with video),” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 372–376, 2009.