- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 463985, 6 pages
7-Day Nonbismuth-Containing Concomitant Therapy Achieves a High Eradication Rate for Helicobacter pylori in Taiwan
1Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung 813, Taiwan
2Department of Pathology, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung 813, Taiwan
3Department of Nuclear Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung 813, Taiwan
Received 31 March 2012; Accepted 14 June 2012
Academic Editor: Deng-Chyang Wu
Copyright © 2012 Sung-Shuo Kao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- IARC Working Group on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, “Infection with Helicobacter pylori,” IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, vol. 61, pp. 177–240, 1994.
- P. Malfertheiner, F. Megraud, C. O'Morain et al., “Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Maastricht III Consensus Report,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 772–781, 2007.
- S. K. Lam and N. J. Talley, “Report of the 1997 Asia Pacific Consensus Conference on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1998.
- P. I. Hsu, K. H. Lai, C. K. Lin et al., “A prospective randomized trial of esomeprazole- versus pantoprazole-based triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 11, pp. 2387–2392, 2005.
- R. J. F. Laheij, L. G. M. Van Rossum, J. B. M. J. Jansen, H. Straatman, and A. L. M. Verbeek, “Evaluation of treatment regimens to cure Helicobacter pylori infection—a meta-analysis,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 857–864, 1999.
- D. Y. Graham and L. Fischbach, “Helicobacter pylori treatment in the era of increasing antibiotic resistance,” Gut, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1143–1153, 2010.
- E. Rimbara, L. A. Fischbach, and D. Y. Graham, “Optimal therapy for Helicobacter pylori infections,” Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 79–88, 2011.
- A. Zullo, V. De Francesco, C. Hassan, S. Morini, and D. Vaira, “The sequential therapy regimen for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a pooled-data analysis,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 1353–1357, 2007.
- N. S. Jafri, C. A. Hornung, and C. W. Howden, “Meta-analysis: sequential therapy appears superior to standard therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection in patients naive to treatment,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 12, pp. 923–931, 2008.
- Y. Gumurdulu, E. Serin, B. Özer et al., “Low eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori with triple 7-14 days and quadriple therapy in Turkey,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 668–671, 2004.
- M. A. Bigard, J. C. Delchier, G. Riachi, P. Thibault, and P. Barthelemy, “One-week triple therapy using omeprazole, amoxycillin and clarithromycin for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori in patients with non-ulcer dyspepsia: influence of dosage of omeprazole and clarithromycin,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 383–388, 1998.
- F. W. Tsay, H. H. Tseng, P. I. Hsu et al., “Sequential therapy achieves a higher eradication rate than standard triple therapy in Taiwan,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 27, pp. 498–503, 2012.
- P. I. Hsu, K. H. Lai, H. H. Tseng et al., “Correlation of serum immunoglobulin G Helicobacter pylori antibody titers with histologic and endoscopic findings in patients with dyspepsia,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 587–591, 1997.
- A. Zullo, V. Rinaldi, S. Winn et al., “A new highly effective shout-term therapy schedule for Helicobacter pylori eradication,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 715–718, 2000.
- J. P. Gisbert, X. Calvet, A. O'Connor, F. Mégraud, and C. A. O'Morain, “Sequential therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a critical review,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 313–325, 2010.
- L. Gatta, N. Vakil, G. Leandro, F. Di Mario, and D. Vaira, “Sequential therapy or triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in adults and children,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 104, no. 12, pp. 3069–3079, 2009.
- W. H. Choi, D. I. Park, S. J. Oh et al., “Effectiveness of 10 day-sequential therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication in Korea,” The Korean Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 280–284, 2008.
- D. Y. Graham and E. Rimbara, “Understanding and appreciating sequential therapy for helicobacterpylori eradication,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 309–313, 2011.
- D. Y. Graham, H. Lu, and Y. Yamaoka, “Therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection can be improved: sequential therapy and beyond,” Drugs, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 725–736, 2008.
- A. S. Essa, J. R. Kramer, D. Y. Graham, and G. Treiber, “Meta-analysis: four-drug, three-antibiotic, non-bismuth-containing "concomitant therapy" versus triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication,” Helicobacter, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 109–118, 2009.
- J. P. Gisbert and X. Calvet, “Review article: non-bismuth quadruple (concomitant) therapy for eradication of Helicobater pylori,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 34, pp. 604–617, 2011.
- G. Treiber, S. Ammon, E. Schneider, and U. Klotz, “Amoxicillin/metronidazole/omeprazole/clarithromycin: a new, short quadruple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication,” Helicobacter, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 54–58, 1998.
- M. Okada, K. Oki, T. Shirotani et al., “A new quadruple therapy for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Effect of pretreatment with omeprazole on the cure rate,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 640–645, 1998.
- D. C. Wu, P. I. Hsu, J. Y. Wu et al., “Sequential and concomitant therapy with four drugs is equally effective for eradication of H. pylori infection,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 2010.
- E. R. Greenberg, G. L. Anderson, D. R. Morgan et al., “14-day triple, 5-day concomitant, and 10-day sequential therapies for Helicobacter pylori infection in seven Latin American sites: a randomised trial,” The Lancet, vol. 378, pp. 507–514, 2011.
- P. I. Hsu, K. H. Lai, E. J. Chien et al., “Impact of bacterial eradication on the cell proliferation and p53 protein accumulation in Helicobacter pylori-associated gastritis,” Anticancer Research, vol. 20, no. 2 B, pp. 1221–1228, 2000.
- N. J. Peng, K. H. Lai, R. S. Liu et al., “Clinical significance of oral urease in diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection by 13C urea breath test,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1772–1778, 2001.
- C. Kongchayanun, V. Mahachai, B. Pornthisarn, S. Amornsawadwattana, and R. K. Vilaichone, “Efficacy of 10-day and 5-day concomitant therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication in Thai patients with non ulcer dyspepsia,” Gastroenterology, vol. 140, Supplement 1, p. 879, 2011.
- S. Y. Kim, S. W. Lee, B. S. Kwon, et al., “Comparative study of Helicobacter pylori eradication rates of 5-day quadruple ‘Concomitant’therapy and 7-day standard triple therapy.,” Gastroenterology, vol. 140, Supplement 1, p. 878, 2011.
- S. Georgopoulos, V. Papastergiou, E. Xirouchakis et al., “Evaluation of a four-drug, three-antibiotic, nonbismuth-containing ‘concomitant’therapy as firstline Helicobacter pylori eradication regimen in Greece,” Helicobacter, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 49–53, 2012.
- T. Suzuki, K. Matsuo, H. Ito et al., “Smoking increases the treatment failure for Helicobacter pylori eradication,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 217–224, 2006.
- P. Midolo and B. J. Marshall, “Accurate diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori: urease tests,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 871–878, 2000.