- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 506571, 5 pages
Preliminary Results of Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Intraoperative Chemotherapy as an Adjuvant in Resectable Pancreatic Cancer
1Surgical Department, Didimotichon General Hospital, Didimotichon 68300, Greece
2Department of Clinical Oncology, Alexandroupolis General Hospital, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
3Department of Anesthesiology, Didimotichon General Hospital, Greece
4Department of Radiology, Alexandroupolis General Hospital, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
Received 25 February 2012; Accepted 26 March 2012
Academic Editor: Paul H. Sugarbaker
Copyright © 2012 Antonios-Apostolos K. Tentes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. R. Bramhall, W. H. Allum, A. G. Jones, A. Allwood, C. Cummins, and J. P. Neoptolemos, “Treatment and survival in 13 560 patients with pancreatic cancer, and incidence of the disease, in the West Midlands: an epidemiological study,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 111–115, 1995.
- A. Jemal, A. Thomas, T. Murray, and M. Thun, “Cancer statistics,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 23–47, 2002.
- H. G. Beger, B. Rau, F. Gansauge, G. Leder, M. Schwarz, and B. Poch, “Pancreatic cancer–low survival rates,” Deutsches Arzteblatt, vol. 105, no. 14, pp. 255–262, 2008.
- J. E. Lim, M. W. Chien, and C. C. Earle, “Prognostic factors following curative resection for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a population-based, linked database analysis of 396 patients,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 237, no. 1, pp. 74–85, 2003.
- J. L. Cameron, T. S. Riall, J. Coleman, and K. A. Belcher, “One thousand consecutive pancreaticoduodenectomies,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 244, no. 1, pp. 10–15, 2006.
- G. Schneider, J. T. Siveke, F. Eckel, and R. M. Schmid, “Pancreatic cancer: basic and clinical aspects,” Gastroenterology, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 1606–1625, 2005.
- R. J. Geer, M. F. Brennan, J. Cameron et al., “Prognostic indicators for survival after resection of pancreatic adenocarcinoma,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 1993.
- S. S. Nitecki, M. G. Sarr, T. V. Colby, and J. A. van Heerden, “Long-term survival after resection for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas: is it really improving?” Annals of Surgery, vol. 221, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 1995.
- J. D. Birkmeyer, A. L. Warshaw, S. R. G. Finlayson, M. R. Grove, and A. N. A. Tosteson, “Relationship between hospital volume and late survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy,” Surgery, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 178–183, 1999.
- M. H. Kalser and S. S. Ellenberg, “Pancreatic cancer. Adjuvant combined radiation and chemotherapy following curative resection,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 120, no. 8, pp. 899–903, 1985.
- J. H. Klinkenbijl, J. Jeekel, T. Sahmoud et al., “Adjuvant radiotherapy and 5-fluorouracil after curative resection of cancer of the pancreas and periampullary region: phase III trial of the EORTC gastrointestinal tract cancer cooperative group,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 230, no. 6, pp. 776–784, 1999.
- J. P. Neoptolemos, D. D. Stocken, H. Friess, et al., “A randomized trial of chemoradiotherapy and chemotherapy after resection of pancreatic cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 12, pp. 1200–1210, 2004.
- C. C. Hsu, J. M. Herman, M. M. Corsini et al., “Adjuvant chemoradiation for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: the johns hopkins hospital-mayo clinic collaborative study,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 981–990, 2010.
- A. L. Warshaw and C. Fernández-del Castillo, “Pancreatic carcinoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 326, no. 7, pp. 455–465, 1992.
- P. Sugarbaker, “Observations concerning cancer spread within the peritoneal cavity and concepts supporting an ordered pathophysiology,” in Peritoneal Carcinomatosis: Principles and Practice of Management, P. Sugarbaker, Ed., pp. 79–100, Kluwer Academic, Boston, Mass, USA, 1996.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “Peritonectomy procedures,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 221, no. 1, pp. 29–42, 1995.
- P. Jacquet and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Clinical research methodologies in diagnosis and staging of patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis,” in Peritoneal Carcinomatosis: Principles and Practice of Management, P. Sugarbaker, Ed., pp. 369–374, Kluwer Academic, Boston, Mass, USA, 1996.
- R. L. Dedrick, “Theoretical and experimental bases of intraperitoneal chemotherapy,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 12, no. 3, supplement 4, pp. 1–6, 1985.
- H. Oettle, S. Post, P. Neuhaus et al., “Adjuvant chemotherapy with gemcitabine vs observation in patients undergoing curative-intent resection of pancreatic cancer: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 3, pp. 267–277, 2007.
- K. Ridwelski, F. Meyer, A. Hribaschek, U. Kasper, and H. Lippert, “Intraoperative and early postoperative chemotherapy into the abdominal cavity using gemcitabine may prevent postoperative occurence of peritoneal carcinomatosis,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2002.
- T. C. Gamblin, M. J. Egorin, E. G. Zuhowski et al., “Intraperitoneal gemcitabine pharmacokinetics: a pilot and pharmacokinetic study in patients with advanced adenocarcinoma of the pancreas,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 647–653, 2008.
- S. R. Pestieau, O. A. Stuart, D. Chang, P. Jacquet, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Pharmacokinetics of intraperitoneal gemcitabine in a rat model,” Tumori, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 706–711, 1998.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, J. T. Mora, P. Carmignani, O. A. Stuart, and D. Yoo, “Update on chemotherapeutic agents utilized for perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy,” Oncologist, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 112–122, 2005.
- P. Sabbatini, C. Aghajanian, M. Leitao et al., “Intraperitoneal cisplatin with intraperitoneal gemcitabine in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer: results of a phase I/II trial,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 2962–2967, 2004.
- J. L. Speyer, P. H. Sugarbaker, J. M. Collins, R. L. Dedrick, R. W. Klecker Jr., and C. E. Myers, “Portal levels and hepatic clearance of 5-fluorouracil after intraperitoneal administration in humans,” Cancer Research, vol. 41, pp. 1916–1922, 1981.