- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 510536, 4 pages
Cholangiographic Features in Opium-Addicted Patients at a Tertiary Hospital in Iran
Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Received 10 April 2012; Accepted 24 September 2012
Academic Editor: Dan L. Dumitrascu
Copyright © 2012 Amir Houshang Mohammad Alizadeh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. S. Bafghi, M. Rafiei, L. Bahadorzadeh et al., “Is opium addiction a risk factor for acute myocardial infarction?” Acta Medica Iranica, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 218–222, 2005.
- J. Westermeyer, “Opium availability and the prevalence of addiction in Asia,” British Journal of Addiction, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 1981.
- A. Mohammadi, M. Darabi, M. Nasry, M. J. Saabet-Jahromi, R. Malek-Pour-Afshar, and H. Sheibani, “Effect of opium addiction on lipid profile and atherosclerosis formation in hypercholesterolemic rabbits,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 145–149, 2009.
- G. A. Karam, M. Reisi, A. A. Kaseb, M. Khaksari, A. Mohammadi, and M. Mahmoodi, “Effects of opium addiction on some serum factors in addicts with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Addiction Biology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2004.
- L. Azod, M. Rashidi, M. Afkhami-Ardekani, G. Kiani, and F. Khoshkam, “Effect of opium addiction on diabetes,” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 383–388, 2008.
- N. K. Kharchenko, V. N. Synyts'kyĭ, and T. V. Kovtun, “Comparative analysis of the effects of alcoholism and opium addiction on liver function,” Fiziolohichnyi Zhurnal, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 81–86, 2001.
- S. Y. Chuah, C. K. Leong, and C. W. Pang, “Dilated common bile duct in opium addicts with and without biliary symptoms—implication for research in AIDS cholangiopathy,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 261–267, 2003.
- M. Sharma and B. Mahadevan, “An unusual cause of double duct sign. Type I sphincter of Oddi dysfunction due to chronic opium addiction,” Gastroenterology, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. e1–e2, 2011.
- D. R. Thompson, “Narcotic analgesic effects on the sphincter of Oddi: a review of the data and therapeutic implications in treating pancreatitis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1266–1272, 2001.
- S. D. Wu, Z. H. Zhang, J. Z. Jin et al., “Effects of narcotic analgesic drugs on human Oddi's sphincter motility,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 10, no. 19, pp. 2901–2904, 2004.
- H. Zylberberg, H. Fontaine, J. M. Corréas, F. Carnot, C. Bréchot, and S. Pol, “Dilated bile duct in patients receiving narcotic substitution: an early report,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 159–161, 2000.
- S. S. Sharma, “Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction in patients addicted to opium: an unrecognized entity,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 427–430, 2002.
- S. Sherman and G. A. Lehman, “Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction: diagnosis and treatment,” Journal of the Pancreas, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 382–400, 2001.
- S. Fujii, H. Tanimukai, and Y. Kashiwagi, “Comparison and analysis of delirium induced by histamine h(2) receptor antagonists and proton pump inhibitors in cancer patients,” Case Reports in Oncology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 409–412, 2012.
- M. L. Silviera, M. J. Seamon, B. Porshinsky et al., “Complications related to endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: a comprehensive clinical review,” Journal of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 73–82, 2009.
- A. Nourbakhsh, M. G. Mohseni, and Z. N. Hatmi, “Opium use in transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder,” Acta Medica Iranica, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 263–267, 2006.
- D. Nasrollahzadeh, F. Kamangar, K. Aghcheli et al., “Opium, tobacco, and alcohol use in relation to oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a high-risk area of Iran,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 1857–1863, 2008.
- C. Malaveille, M. Friesen, A. M. Camus, et al., “Mutagens produced by the pyrolysis of opium and its alkaloids as possible risk factors in cancer of the bladder and oesophagus,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 577–585, 1982.
- A. Ketabchi, M. Gharaei, M. Ahmadinejad, and T. Meershekari, “Evaluation of bladder cancer in opium addicted patients in the Kerman province, Iran from 1999 to 2003,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 355–357, 2005.
- J. M. Fitzpatrick and M. Reda, “Bladder carcinoma in patients 40 years old or less,” Journal of Urology, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 53–54, 1986.
- S. Mousavi, J. Toussy, and M. Zahmatkesh, “Opium addiction as a new risk factor of Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. CR528–CR531, 2007.
- M. Tanaka, “Function and dysfunction of the sphincter of Oddi,” Digestive Surgery, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 94–99, 2010.
- I. C. Roberts-Thomson, P. R. Pannall, and J. Toouli, “Relationship between morphine responses and sphincter of Oddi motility in undefined biliary pain after cholecystectomy,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 317–324, 1989.
- Y. Miwa, M. Saeki, A. Yamaji, S. Maeda, and K. Saito, “Effect of morphine on secretion of amylase from isolated parotid acini,” Life Sciences, vol. 59, no. 21, pp. 1809–1819, 1996.