- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 513163, 7 pages
Interdisciplinary Management of Cystic Neoplasms of the Pancreas
1Interdisciplinary Management of Pancreatic Cystic Tumors (IMPACT) Clinic, Fish Center for Women’s Health, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
2Center for Pancreatic Disease, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endoscopy, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
3Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Received 6 July 2012; Accepted 17 September 2012
Academic Editor: Michael Bouvet
Copyright © 2012 Linda S. Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. S. Spinelli, T. E. Fromwiller, R. A. Daniel et al., “Cystic pancreatic neoplasms: observe or operate,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 239, no. 5, pp. 651–659, 2004.
- A. C. Planner, E. M. Anderson, A. Slater, J. Phillips-Hughes, H. K. Bungay, and M. Betts, “An evidence-based review for the management of cystic pancreatic lesions,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 930–937, 2007.
- X. M. Zhang, D. G. Mitchell, M. Dohke, G. A. Holland, and L. Parker, “Pancreatic cysts: depiction on single-shot fast spin-echo MR images,” Radiology, vol. 223, no. 2, pp. 547–553, 2002.
- F. Campbell and B. Azadeh, “Cystic neoplasms of the exocrine pancreas,” Histopathology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 539–551, 2008.
- N. V. Adsay, A. Andea, O. Basturk, N. Kilinc, H. Nassar, and J. D. Cheng, “Secondary tumors of the pancreas: an analysis of a surgical and autopsy database and review of the literature,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 444, no. 6, pp. 527–535, 2004.
- M. A. Khashab, E. J. Shin, S. Amateau et al., “Tumor size and location correlate with behavior of pancreatic serous cystic neoplasms,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 106, no. 8, pp. 1521–1526, 2011.
- G. H. Sakorafas, V. Smyrniotis, K. M. Reid-Lombardo, and M. G. Sarr, “Primary pancreatic cystic neoplasms revisited. Part I: serous cystic neoplasms,” Surgical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. e84–e92, 2011.
- G. H. Sakorafas, V. Smyrniotis, K. M. Reid-Lombardo, and M. G. Sarr, “Primary pancreatic cystic neoplasms revisited: part II. Mucinous cystic neoplasms,” Surgical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. e93–e101, 2011.
- R. P. Reddy, T. C. Smyrk, M. Zapiach et al., “Pancreatic mucinous cystic neoplasm defined by ovarian stroma: demographics, clinical features, and prevalence of cancer,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 1026–1031, 2004.
- C. Fernandez-del Castillo and A. L. Warshaw, “Cystic tumors of the pancreas,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 1001–1016, 1995.
- G. Klöppel, Histological Typing of Tumours of the Exocrine Pancreas, Springer, 1996.
- E. Solcia, C. Capella, G. Klöppel, Pathology AFIo, Research UAf, and Pathology Ei, Tumors of the Pancreas, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 1997.
- K. Takuma, T. Kamisawa, H. Anjiki et al., “Predictors of malignancy and natural history of main-duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas,” Pancreas, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 371–375, 2011.
- H. Maguchi, S. Tanno, N. Mizuno et al., “Natural history of branch duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas: a multicenter study in Japan,” Pancreas, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 364–370, 2011.
- T. Papavramidis and S. Papavramidis, “Solid pseudopapillary tumors of the pancreas: review of 718 patients reported in english literature,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 200, no. 6, pp. 965–972, 2005.
- S. Reddy and C. L. Wolfgang, “Solid pseudopapillary neoplasms of the pancreas,” Advances in Surgery, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 269–282, 2009.
- W. R. Brugge, K. Lewandrowski, E. Lee-Lewandrowski et al., “Diagnosis of pancreatic cystic neoplasms: a report of the cooperative pancreatic cyst study,” Gastroenterology, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 1330–1336, 2004.
- L. A. Van Der Waaij, H. M. Van Dullemen, and R. J. Porte, “Cyst fluid analysis in the differential diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions: a pooled analysis,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 383–389, 2005.
- A. Khalid, M. Zahid, S. D. Finkelstein et al., “Pancreatic cyst fluid DNA analysis in evaluating pancreatic cysts: a report of the PANDA study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1095–1102, 2009.
- M. S. Sawhney, S. Devarajan, P. O'Farrel et al., “Comparison of carcinoembryonic antigen and molecular analysis in pancreatic cyst fluid,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1106–1110, 2009.
- Y. C. Kim, J. Y. Choi, Y. E. Chung et al., “Comparison of MRI and endoscopic ultrasound in the characterization of pancreatic cystic lesions,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 195, no. 4, pp. 947–952, 2010.
- A. J. Megibow, M. E. Baker, R. M. Gore, and A. Taylor, “The incidental pancreatic cyst,” Radiologic Clinics of North America, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 349–359, 2011.
- A. Khan, F. Khosa, and R. L. Eisenberg, “Cystic lesions of the pancreas,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 196, no. 6, pp. W668–W677, 2011.
- C. Molvar, A. Kayhan, H. Lakadamyali, and A. Oto, “Nonneoplastic cystic lesions of pancreas: a practical clinical, histologic, and radiologic approach,” Current Problems in Diagnostic Radiology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 141–148, 2011.
- S. Gourgiotis, M. P. Ridolfini, and S. Germanos, “Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 678–684, 2007.
- D. V. Sahani, R. Kadavigere, A. Saokar, C. Fernandez-del Castillo, W. R. Brugge, and P. F. Hahn, “Cystic pancreatic lesions: a simple imaging-based classification system for guiding management,” Radiographics, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1471–1484, 2005.
- S. S. Garud and F. F. Willingham, “Molecular analysis of cyst fluid aspiration in the diagnosis and risk assessment of cystic lesions of the pancreas,” Clinical and Translational Science, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 102–107, 2012.
- A. Das, S. Ngamruengphong, S. Nagendra, and A. Chak, “Asymptomatic pancreatic cystic neoplasm: a cost-effectiveness analysis of different strategies of management,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 690–699.e6, 2009.
- SSAT Patient Care Guidelines, “Cystic neoplasms of the pancreas,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1225–1227, 2007.
- M. Tanaka, C. Fernandez-del Castillo, V. Adsay, S. Chari, M. Falconi, J. Y. Jang, et al., “International consensus guidelines 2012 for the management of IPMN and MCN of the pancreas,” Pancreatology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 183–197, 2012.
- B. M. Weinberg, B. M. R. Spiegel, J. S. Tomlinson, and J. J. Farrell, “Asymptomatic pancreatic cystic neoplasms: maximizing survival and quality of life using Markov-based clinical nomograms,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 531–540, 2010.
- A. Khalid and W. Brugge, “ACG practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of neoplastic pancreatic cysts,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 2339–2349, 2007.
- L. L. Berland, “The American College of Radiology strategy for managing incidental findings on abdominal computed tomography,” Radiologic Clinics of North America, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 237–243, 2011.
- M. H. G. Katz, M. M. Mortenson, H. Wang et al., “Diagnosis and management of cystic neoplasms of the pancreas: an evidence-based approach,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 207, no. 1, pp. 106–120, 2008.
- S. Vyas, S. Markar, T. M. Ezzat, and A. Ajit, “Cystic lesions of the pancreas: current trends in approach and management,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 87, no. 1025, pp. 207–214, 2011.
- P. J. Allen, L. X. Qin, L. Tang, D. Klimstra, M. F. Brennan, and A. Lokshin, “Pancreatic cyst fluid protein expression profiling for discriminating between serous cystadenoma and intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 250, no. 5, pp. 754–759, 2009.
- B. B. Haab, A. Porter, T. Yue et al., “Glycosylation variants of mucins and CEACAMs as candidate biomarkers for the diagnosis of pancreatic cystic neoplasms,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 251, no. 5, pp. 937–945, 2010.
- J. DeWitt, “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided pancreatic cyst ablation,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 291–302, 2012.
- L. S. Lee, P. A. Banks, A. M. Bellizzi, N. I. Sainani, V. Kadiyala, S. Suleiman, et al., “Inflammatory protein profiling of pancreatic cyst fluid using EUS-FNA in tandem with cytokine microarray differentiates between branch duct IPMN and inflammatory cysts,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 382, no. 1-2, pp. 142–149, 2012.
- S. Nissim, G. E. Idos, and B. Wu, “Genetic markers of malignant transformation in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas: a meta-analysis,” Pancreas. In press.
- L. G. Lim, T. Itoi, W. C. Lim, S. J. Mesenas, D. W. Seo, J. Tan, et al., “Current status on the diagnosis and management of pancreatic cysts in the Asia-Pacific region: role of endoscopic ultrasound,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1702–1708, 2011.
- J. Wu, H. Matthaei, A. Maitra et al., “Recurrent GNAS mutations define an unexpected pathway for pancreatic cyst development,” Science Translational Medicine, vol. 3, no. 92, Article ID 92ra66, 2011.
- T. Furukawa, Y. Kuboki, E. Tanji, S. Yoshida, T. Hatori, M. Yamamoto, et al., “Whole-exome sequencing uncovers frequent GNAS mutations in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas,” Science Reports, vol. 1, p. 161, 2011.