- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 561207, 7 pages
Pantoprazole before Endoscopy in Patients with Gastroduodenal Ulcer Bleeding: Does the duration of Infusion and Ulcer Location Influence the Effects?
1Department of Gastroenterology, Petz Aladár Teaching Hospital, Győr 9024, Hungary
2Department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences, Széchenyi István University, Győr 9026, Hungary
Received 15 June 2012; Accepted 14 September 2012
Academic Editor: Sergio Morini
Copyright © 2012 Istvan Rácz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. N. Barkun, M. Bardou, E. J. Kuipers et al., “International consensus recommendations on the management of patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 101–113, 2010.
- G. I. Leontiadis, V. K. Sharma, and C. W. Howden, “Proton pump inhibitor therapy for peptic ulcer bleeding: cochrane collaboration meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 286–296, 2007.
- J. Y. W. Lau, J. Y. Sung, K. K. C. Lee et al., “Effect of intravenous omeprazole on recurrent bleeding after endoscopic treatment of bleeding peptic ulcers,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 5, pp. 310–316, 2000.
- M. Bardou, Y. Toubouti, D. Benhaberou-Brun, E. Rahme, and A. N. Barkun, “Meta-analysis: proton-pump inhibition in high-risk patients with acute peptic ulcer bleeding,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 677–686, 2005.
- L. Laine and K. R. McQuaid, “Endoscopic therapy for bleeding ulcers: an evidence-based approach based on meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 33–47, 2009.
- L. Laine and D. M. Jensen, “Management of patients with ulcer bleeding,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 345–360, 2012.
- F. W. Green, M. M. Kaplan, L. E. Curtis, and P. H. Levine, “Effect of acid and pepsin on blood coagulation and platelet aggregation. A possible contributor to prolonged gastroduodenal mucosal hemorrhage,” Gastroenterology, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 38–43, 1978.
- A. Berstad, “Does profound acid inhibition improve haemostasis in peptic ulcer bleeding?” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 396–398, 1997.
- S. E. Patchett, H. Enright, N. Afdhal, W. O'Connell, and D. P. O'Donoghue, “Clot lysis by gastric juice: an in vitro study,” Gut, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1704–1707, 1989.
- J. Y. Lau, W. K. Leung, J. C. Y. Wu, et al., “Omeprazole before endoscopy in patients with gastrointestinal bleeding,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 16, pp. 1631–1640, 2007.
- A. Sreedharan, J. Martin, G. I. Leontiadis et al., “Proton pump inhibitor treatment initiated prior to endoscopic diagnosis in upper gastrointestinal bleeding.,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 7, p. CD005415, 2010.
- A. N. Barkun, “Should every patient with suspected upper GI bleeding receive a proton pump inhibitor while awaiting endoscopy?” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 1064–1066, 2008.
- C. J. Van Rensburg, M. Hartmann, A. Thorpe et al., “Intragastric pH during continuous infusion with pantoprazole in patients with bleeding peptic ulcer,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 12, pp. 2635–2641, 2003.
- A. Avgerinos, S. Sgouros, N. Viazis et al., “Somatostatin inhibits gastric acid secretion more effectively than pantoprazole in patients with peptic ulcer bleeding: a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled trial,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 515–522, 2005.