- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 568214, 4 pages
Repeated Liver Resection for Colorectal Liver Metastases: A Comparison with Primary Liver Resections concerning Perioperative and Long-Term Outcome
Department of Surgery, Clinical Sciences Lund, Lund University and Skåne University Hospital Lund, Lund SE-22185, Sweden
Received 8 May 2012; Accepted 7 June 2012
Academic Editor: Jin-Lian Chen
Copyright © 2012 Kristoffer Jönsson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, T. Murray, E. Ward et al., “Cancer statistics, 2005,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 10–30, 2005.
- R. Stangl, A. Altendorf-Hofmann, R. M. Charnley, and J. Scheele, “Factors influencing the natural history of colorectal liver metastases,” The Lancet, vol. 343, no. 8910, pp. 1405–1410, 1994.
- P. C. Simmonds, J. N. Primrose, J. L. Colquitt, O. J. Garden, G. J. Poston, and M. Rees, “Surgical resection of hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer: a systematic review of published studies,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 982–999, 2006.
- CancerStats, Cancer Research UK, http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/.
- D. Brachet, E. Lermite, A. Rouquette, G. Lorimier, A. Hamy, and J. P. Arnaud, “Prognostic factors of survival in repeat liver resection for recurrent colorectal metastases: review of sixty-two cases treated at a single institution,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 475–483, 2009.
- J. Scheele, R. Stangl, and A. Altendorf-Hofmann, “Hepatic metastases from colorectal carcinoma: impact of surgical resection on the natural history,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1241–1246, 1990.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “Surgical decision making for large bowel cancer metastatic to the liver,” Radiology, vol. 174, no. 3, part 1, pp. 621–626, 1990.
- T. J. Hugh, A. R. Kinsella, and G. J. Poston, “Management strategies for colorectal liver metastases,” Surgical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 19–48, 1997.
- J. Scheele, R. Stangl, A. Altendorf-Hofmann, and F. P. Gall, “Indicators of prognosis after hepatic resection for colorectal secondaries,” Surgery, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 13–29, 1991.
- M. Donadon, D. Ribero, G. Morris-Stiff, et al., “New paradigm in the management of liver-only metastases from colorectal cancer,” Gastrointestinal Cancer Research, vol. 1, pp. 20–27, 2007.
- M. T. Seymour, S. P. Stenning, and J. Cassidy, “Attitudes and practice in the management of metastatic colorectal cancer in Britain,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 248–251, 1997.
- P. C. Simmonds, “Palliative chemotherapy for advanced colorectal cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 321, no. 7260, pp. 531–535, 2000.
- C. J. Lahr, S. J. Soong, and G. Cloud, “A multifactoral analysis of prognostic factors in patients with liver metastases from colorectal carcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 1, no. 11, pp. 720–726, 1983.
- A. Venook, “Critical evaluation of current treatments in metastatic colorectal cancer,” Oncologist, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 250–261, 2005.
- P. M. Schlag, T. Benhidjeb, and C. Stroszczynski, “Resection and local therapy for liver metastases,” Bailliere's Best Practice and Research in Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 299–317, 2002.
- M. M. Kemeny, S. Adak, B. Gray et al., “Combined-modality treatment for resectable metastatic colorectal carcinoma to the liver: surgical resection of hepatic metastases in combination with continuous infusion of chemotherapy-an intergroup study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1499–1505, 2002.
- G. Portier, D. Elias, O. Bouche et al., “Multicenter randomized trial of adjuvant fluorouracil and folinic acid compared with surgery alone after resection of colorectal liver metastases: FFCD ACHBTH AURC 9002 trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 31, pp. 4976–4982, 2006.
- M. A. Choti, J. V. Sitzmann, M. F. Tiburi et al., “Trends in long-term survival following liver resection for hepatic colorectal metastases,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 235, no. 6, pp. 759–766, 2002.
- Y. Fong, J. Fortner, R. L. Sun, M. F. Brennan, and L. H. Blumgart, “Clinical score for predicting recurrence after hepatic resection for metastatic colorectal cancer: analysis of 1001 consecutive cases,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 230, no. 3, pp. 309–321, 1999.
- L. T. Jenkins, K. W. Millikan, S. D. Bines, E. D. Staren, and A. Doolas, “Hepatic resection for metastatic colorectal cancer,” American Surgeon, vol. 63, no. 7, pp. 605–610, 1997.
- J. Scheele, A. Altendorf-Hofmann, R. Stangl, and K. Schmidt, “Surgical resection of colorectal liver metastases: gold standard for solitary and completely resectabe lesions,” Swiss Surgery, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 4–17, 1996.
- J. Scheele, “Hepatectomy for liver metastases,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 274–276, 1993.
- E. K. Abdalla, R. Adam, A. J. Bilchik, D. Jaeck, J. N. Vauthey, and D. Mahvi, “Improving resectability of hepatic colorectal metastases: expert consensus statement,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1271–1280, 2006.
- H. D. González and J. Figueras, “Practical questions in liver metastases of colorectal cancer: general principles of treatment,” Journal of the International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 251–258, 2007.
- N. Neeleman and R. Andersson, “Repeated liver resection for recurrent liver cancer,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 83, no. 7, pp. 893–901, 1996.
- I. M. Shaw, M. Rees, F. K. S. Welsh, S. Bygrave, and T. G. John, “Repeat hepatic resection for recurrent colorectal liver metastases is associated with favourable long-term survival,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 457–464, 2006.
- R. Adam, H. Bismuth, D. Castaing et al., “Repeat hepatectomy for colorectal liver metastases,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 225, no. 1, pp. 51–62, 1997.
- K. Tanaka, H. Shimada, K. Matsuo, Y. Nagano, I. Endo, and S. Togo, “Intra-operative blood loss predicts complications after a second hepatectomy for malignant neoplasms,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 2668–2677, 2007.
- S. Suzuki, T. Sakaguchi, Y. Yokoi et al., “Impact of repeat hepatectomy on recurrent colorectal liver metastases,” Surgery, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 421–428, 2001.
- A. Sa Cunha, C. Laurent, A. Rault, P. Couderc, E. Rullier, and J. Saric, “A second liver resection due to recurrent colorectal liver metastases,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 142, no. 12, pp. 1144–1149, 2007.
- M. C. de Jong, S. C. Mayo, C. Pulitano et al., “Repeat curative intent liver surgery is safe and effective for recurrent colorectal liver metastasis: results from an international multi-institutional analysis,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 2141–2151, 2009.
- A. Andreou, A. Brouquet, and E. K. Abdalla, “Repeat hepatectomy for recurrent colorectal liver metasteses is associated with a high survival rate,” Journal of the International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association, vol. 13, pp. 774–782, 2011.