- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 621512, 7 pages
Comparison of Diagnostic Accuracies of Various Endoscopic Examination Techniques for Evaluating the Invasion Depth of Colorectal Tumors
Department of Gastroenterology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Sagamihara 252-0380, Japan
Received 11 March 2012; Revised 27 July 2012; Accepted 31 July 2012
Academic Editor: Ang Tiing Leong
Copyright © 2012 Satomi Haruki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon Rectum, Japanese Classification of Colorectal Carcinoma, Kanehara & Co., Tokyo, Japan, 2nd edition, 2009.
- Participants in the Paris, “The Paris endoscopic classification of superficial neoplastic lesions: esophagus, stomach, and colon,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 58, pp. S3–S43, 2003.
- S. Kudo, R. Lambert, J. I. Allen et al., “Nonpolypoid neoplastic lesions of the colorectal mucosa,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 68, no. 4, supplement, pp. S3–S47, 2008.
- M. B. Kimmey, R. W. Martin, R. C. Haggitt, K. Y. Wang, D. W. Franklin, and F. E. Silverstein, “Histologic correlates of gastrointestinal ultrasound images,” Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 2 I, pp. 433–441, 1989.
- K. Kobayashi, S. Haruki, T. Ogawa et al., “Diagnosis of the depth of invasion by endoscopic ultrasonography in submucosal invasive colorectal cancers: diagnostic capability regarding vertical infiltration distance of 1, 000μm,” Endoscopia Digestiva, vol. 18, pp. 310–318, 2006 (Japanese).
- S. Kudo, C. A. Rubio, C. R. Teixeira, H. Kashida, and E. Kogure, “Pit pattern in colorectal neoplasia: endoscopic magnifying view,” Endoscopy, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 367–373, 2001.
- T. Matsuda, T. Fujii, Y. Saito et al., “Efficacy of the invasive/non-invasive pattern by magnifying chromoendoscopy to estimate the depth of invasion of early colorectal neoplasms,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 2700–2706, 2008.
- H. Kanao, S. Tanaka, S. Oka et al., “Clinical significance of type VI pit pattern subclassification in determining the depth of invasion of colorectal neoplasms,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 211–217, 2008.
- Y. Wada, H. Kashida, S. E. Kudo, M. Misawa, N. Ikehara, and S. Hamatani, “Diagnostic accuracy of pit pattern and vascular pattern analyses in colorectal lesions,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 192–199, 2010.
- S. Kudo, Y. Kobayashi, H. Kashida, et al., “The subdivision of the type V pit pattern—the results of 4 years, research in Kudos pit pattern conference,” Stomach and Intestine, vol. 41, pp. 1751–1761, 2006 (Japanese).
- N. Yoshida, N. Wakabayashi, K. Kanemasa et al., “Endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal tumors: technical difficulties and rate of perforation,” Endoscopy, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 758–761, 2009.
- Y. Saito, M. Fukuzawa, T. Matsuda et al., “Clinical outcome of endoscopic submucosal dissection versus endoscopic mucosal resection of large colorectal tumors as determined by curative resection,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 343–352, 2010.
- H. Iishi, M. Tatsuta, K. Iseki et al., “Endoscopic piecemeal resection with submucosal saline injection of large sessile colorectal polyps,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 697–700, 2000.
- K. Kitajima, T. Fujimori, S. Fuji et al., “Correlations between lymph node metastasis and depth of submucosal invasion in submucosal invasive colorectal carcinoma: a Japanese collaborative study,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 534–543, 2004.
- T. Minamoto, M. Mai, T. Ogino et al., “Early invasive colorectal carcinomas metastatic to the lymph node with attention to their nonpolypoid development,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 88, no. 7, pp. 1035–1039, 1993.
- H. S. Cooper, “Surgical pathology of endoscopically removed malignant polyps of the colon and rectum,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 613–623, 1983.
- S. Tanaka, K. Haruma, C. R. Teixeira et al., “Endoscopic treatment of submucosal invasive colorectal carcinoma with special reference to risk factors for lymph node metastasis,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 710–717, 1995.
- H. Ikehara, Y. Saito, T. Matsuda, T. Uraoka, and Y. Murakami, “Diagnosis of depth of invasion for early colorectal cancer using magnifying colonoscopy,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 905–912, 2010.
- Y. Saitoh, T. Obara, J. Watari et al., “Invasion depth diagnosis of depressed type early colorectal cancers by combined use of videoendoscopy and chromoendoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 362–370, 1998.
- H. Ikematsu, T. Matsuda, F. Emura et al., “Efficacy of capillary pattern type IIIA/IIIB by magnifying narrow band imaging for estimating depth of invasion of early colorectal neoplasms,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 10, article no. 33, 2010.
- M. Fukuzawa, Y. Saito, T. Matsuda, T. Uraoka, T. Itoi, and F. Moriyasu, “Effectiveness of narrow-band imaging magnification for invasion depth in early colorectal cancer,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 1727–1734, 2010.
- Y. Uno and A. Munakata, “The non-lifting sign of invasive colon cancer,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 485–489, 1994.
- S. Y. Tung, C. S. Wu, and M. Y. Su, “Magnifying colonoscopy in differentiating neoplastic from nonneoplastic colorectal lesions,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 2628–2632, 2001.
- K. I. Fu, Y. Sano, S. Kato et al., “Chromoendoscopy using indigo carmine dye spraying with magnifying observation is the most reliable method for differential diagnosis between non-neoplastic and neoplastic colorectal lesions: a prospective study,” Endoscopy, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1089–1093, 2004.
- Y. Saitoh, T. Obara, K. Einami et al., “Efficacy of high-frequency ultrasound probes for the preoperative staging of invasion depth in flat and depressed colorectal tumors,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 34–39, 1996.
- K. Kobayashi, M. Kida, T. Katsumata et al., “Clinical role of endoscopic ultrasonography for the diagnosis of early colorectal cancer and selecting the treatment procedure,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 298–305, 2003.
- T. Akasu, H. Kondo, Y. Moriya et al., “Endorectal ultrasonography and treatment of early stage rectal cancer,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1061–1068, 2000.
- K. Hizawa, H. Suekane, K. Aoyagi, T. Matsumoto, S. Nakamura, and M. Fujishima, “Use of endosonographic evaluation of colorectal tumor depth in determining the appropriateness of endoscopic mucosal resection,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 768–771, 1996.
- E. Cho, M. Nakajima, K. Yasuda, T. Ashihara, and K. Kawai, “Endoscopic ultrasonography in the diagnosis of colorectal cancer invasion,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 521–527, 1993.
- S. A. Norton and M. G. Thomas, “Staging of rectosigmoid neoplasia with colonoscopic endoluminal ultrasonography,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 86, no. 7, pp. 942–946, 1999.
- D. P. Hurlstone, S. Brown, S. S. Cross, A. J. Shorthouse, and D. S. Sanders, “High magnification chromoscopic colonoscopy or high frequency 20 MHz mini probe endoscopic ultrasound staging for early colorectal neoplasia: a comparative prospective analysis,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 1585–1589, 2005.
- T. Matsumoto, K. Hizawa, M. Esaki et al., “Comparison of EUS and magnifying colonoscopy for assessment of small colorectal cancers,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 354–360, 2002.
- K. I. Fu, S. Kato, Y. Sano et al., “Staging of early colorectal cancers: magnifying colonoscopy versus endoscopic ultrasonography for estimation of depth of invasion,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 1886–1892, 2008.
- S. A. McClave, W. F. Jones, G. M. Woolfolk, G. R. Schrodt, and M. J. Wiersema, “Mistakes on EUS staging of colorectal carcinoma: error in interpretation or deception from innate pathologic features?” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 682–689, 2000.
- A. Matsunaga, N. Nomura M, K. Uchimi, D. Hirasawa, and N. Fujita, “Diagnosis of early colorectal cancer by colonoscopy, endoscopic ultrasound using a microscanner and magnifying endoscopy,” Journal of Japan Society of Coloproctology, vol. 55, pp. 841–845, 2002 (Japanese).