- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 624327, 6 pages
Clinical Outcomes of the Marginal Ulcer Bleeding after Gastrectomy: As Compared to the Peptic Ulcer Bleeding with Nonoperated Stomach
1Department of Internal Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, St. Paul's Hospital, 620-56, Jeonnong 2-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul 130-709, Republic of Korea
2Department of Surgery, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Seoul 130-709, Republic of Korea
Received 21 August 2012; Accepted 8 November 2012
Academic Editor: N. K. Maroju
Copyright © 2012 Woo Chul Chung et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. A. Rockall, R. F. A. Logan, H. B. Devlin, and T. C. Northfield, “Incidence of and mortality from acute upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage in the United Kingdom: steering Committee and members of the national audit of acute upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage,” British Medical Journal, vol. 311, no. 6999, pp. 222–226, 1995.
- J. S. Shin, K. W. Chen, X. Z. Lin, C. Y. Lin, T. T. Chang, and C. C. Yang, “Active, bleeding marginal ulcer of billroth II gastric resection: a clinical experience of 18 patients,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 1831–1835, 1994.
- K. D. Higa, K. B. Boone, and T. Ho, “Complications of the laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: 1,040 patients—what have we learned?” Obesity Surgery, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 509–513, 2000.
- B. C. Sacks, S. G. Mattar, F. G. Qureshi et al., “Incidence of marginal ulcers and the use of absorbable anastomotic sutures in laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 2006.
- J. A. Sapala, M. H. Wood, M. A. Sapala, and T. M. Flake, “Marginal ulcer after gastric bypass: a prospective 3-year study of 173 patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 505–516, 1998.
- B. E. Schneider, L. Villegas, G. L. Blackburn, E. C. Mun, J. F. Critchlow, and D. B. Jones, “Laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery: outcomes,” Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques A, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 247–255, 2003.
- L. D. Maclean, B. M. Rhode, C. Nohr, S. Katz, and A. P. H. Mclean, “Stomal ulcer after gastric bypass,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 185, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1997.
- A. J. Sanyal, H. J. Sugerman, J. M. Kellum, K. M. Engle, and L. Wolfe, “Stomal complications of gastric bypass: incidence and outcome of therapy,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. 1165–1169, 1992.
- J. A. H. Forrest, N. D. C. Finlayson, and D. J. C. Shearman, “Endoscopy in gastrointestinal bleeding,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 7877, pp. 394–397, 1974.
- V. N. Nikolopoulou, K. C. Thomopoulos, G. I. Theocharis, V. A. Arvaniti, and C. E. Vagianos, “Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in operated stomach: outcome of 105 cases,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 29, pp. 4570–4573, 2005.
- A. Csendes, A. M. Burgos, J. Altuve, and S. Bonacic, “Incidence of marginal ulcer 1 month and 1 to 2 years after gastric bypass: a prospective consecutive endoscopic evaluation of 442 patients with morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 135–138, 2009.
- C. D. Smith, S. B. Herkes, K. E. Behrns, V. F. Fairbanks, K. A. Kelly, and M. G. Sarr, “Gastric acid secretion and vitamin B12 absorption after vertical Roux- en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 218, no. 1, pp. 91–96, 1993.
- K. E. Behrns, C. D. Smith, and M. G. Sarr, “Prospective evaluation of gastric acid secretion and cobalamin absorption following gastric bypass for clinically severe obesity,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 315–320, 1994.
- A. M. C. Macgregor, N. E. Pickens, and E. K. Thoburn, “Perforated peptic ulcer following gastric bypass for obesity,” The American Surgeon, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 222–225, 1999.
- A. Csendes, J. Torres, and A. M. Burgos, “Late marginal ulcers after gastric bypass for morbid obesity: clinical and endoscopic findings and response to treatment,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1319–1322, 2011.
- T. S. Chen, S. H. Tsay, F. Y. Chang, and S. D. Lee, “Effect of eradication of Helicobacter pylori on serum pepsinogen I, gastrin, and insulin in duodenal ulcer patients: a 12-month follow-up study,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 1511–1514, 1994.
- J. G. Kusters, A. H. M. van Vliet, and E. J. Kuipers, “Pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 449–490, 2006.
- W. G. Dong, C. S. Cheng, S. P. Liu, and J. P. Yu, “Epidemiology of peptic ulcer disease in wuhan area of China from 1997 to 2002,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 10, no. 22, pp. 3377–3379, 2004.
- V. Singh, B. Trikha, C. K. Nain, K. Singh, and K. Vaiphei, “Epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori and peptic ulcer in India,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 659–665, 2002.
- P. I. Hsu, K. H. Lai, G. H. Lo et al., “Risk factors for ulcer development in patients with non-ulcer dyspepsia: a prospective two year follow up study of 209 patients,” Gut, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 2002.
- S. B. Oglevie, D. C. Smith, and S. S. Mera, “Bleeding marginal ulcers: angiographic evaluation,” Radiology, vol. 174, no. 3, pp. 943–944, 1990.
- B. Schirmer, C. Erenoglu, and A. Miller, “Flexible endoscopy in the management of patients undergoing Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 634–638, 2002.
- J. J. Rasmussen, W. Fuller, and M. R. Ali, “Marginal ulceration after laparoscopic gastric bypass: an analysis of predisposing factors in 260 patients,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1090–1094, 2007.
- W. C. Chung, E. J. Jeon, K.-M. Lee et al., “Incidence and clinical features of endoscopic ulcers developing after gastrectomy,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 25, pp. 3260–3266, 2012.
- W. H. Huang, H. H. Wang, W. W. Wu, H. C. Lai, C. H. Hsu, and K. S. Cheng, “Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with ulcer recurrence after partial gastrectomy,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 51, no. 59, pp. 1551–1553, 2004.
- M. J. Bair, M. S. Wu, W. H. Chang et al., “Spontaneous clearance of Helicobacter pylori colonization in patients with partial gastrectomy: correlates with operative procedures and duration after operation,” Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2009.
- P. Tomtitchong, M. Onda, N. Matsukura et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection in the remnant stomach after gastrectomy: with special reference to the difference between billroth I and II anastomoses,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 27, supplement 1, pp. S154–S158, 1998.