- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 637187, 9 pages
Atypical Celiac Disease: From Recognizing to Managing
1Laboratory of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine and University Hospital Center, BP 7010, Sidi Abbad, Marrakech, Morocco
2Laboratory of Research “PCIM”, Faculty of Medicine, University Cadi Ayyad, Marrakech, Morocco
3Service of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Center, Marrakech, Morocco
4Service of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Center, Marrakech, Morocco
5Service of Peadiatrics, University Hospital Center, Marrakech, Morocco
6Laboratory of Biochemistry, University Hospital Center, Marrakech, Morocco
7Laboratory of Histopathology, University Hospital Center, Marrakech, Morocco
Received 8 January 2012; Accepted 8 May 2012
Academic Editor: Govind K. Makharia
Copyright © 2012 B. Admou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. M. Sollid, S. N. McAdam, O. Molberg et al., “Genes and environment in celiac disease,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 183–186, 2001.
- M. Mäki, K. Mustalahti, J. Kokkonen et al., “Prevalence of celiac disease among children in Finland,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 25, pp. 2517–2524, 2003.
- G. Telega, T. R. Bennet, and S. Werlin, “Emerging new clinical patterns in the presentation of celiac disease,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 162, no. 2, pp. 164–168, 2008.
- E. J. Hoffenberg, T. MacKenzie, K. J. Barriga et al., “A prospective study of the incidence of childhood celiac disease,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 308–314, 2003.
- M. Abu-Zekry, D. Kryszak, M. Diab, C. Catassi, and A. Fasano, “Prevalence of celiac disease in egyptian children disputes the east west agriculture-dependent spread of the disease,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 136–140, 2008.
- K. Alarida, J. Harown, A. Ahmaida et al., “Coeliac disease in Libyan children: a screening study based on the rapid determination of anti-transglutaminase antibodies,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 688–691, 2011.
- M. B. Hariz, M. Kallel-Sellami, L. Kallel et al., “Prevalence of celiac disease in Tunisia: mass-screening study in school children,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 687–694, 2007.
- F. Imanzadeh, A. A. Sayyari, M. Yaghoobi, M. R. Akbari, H. Shafagh, and A. R. Farsar, “Celiac disease in children with diarrhea is more frequent than previously suspected,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 309–311, 2005.
- V. Ertekin, M. A. Selimoglu, F. Kardas, and E. Aktas, “Prevalence of CD in Turkish children,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 39, pp. 689–691, 2005.
- A. Sood, V. Midha, N. Sood, G. Avasthi, and A. Sehgal, “Prevalence of celiac disease among school children in Punjab, North India,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1622–1625, 2006.
- D. A. Nelsen, “Gluten-sensitive enteropathy (celiac disease): more common than you think,” American Family Physician, vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 2259–2266, 2002.
- T. S. G. Silva and T. W. Furlanetto, “Diagnosis of celiac disease in adults,” Revista da Associacao Medica Brasileira, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 122–126, 2010.
- J. S. Leeds, A. D. Hopper, and D. S. Sanders, “Coeliac disease,” British Medical Bulletin, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 157–170, 2008.
- E. Lionetti and C. Catassi, “New clues in celiac disease epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and treatment,” International Reviews of Immunology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 219–231, 2011.
- A. Ferguson and K. Kingstone, “Coeliac disease and malignancies,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, Supplement, vol. 85, no. 412, pp. 78–81, 1996.
- J. Cosnes, C. Cosnes, A. Cosnes et al., “Undiagnosed celiac disease in childhood,” Gastroenterologie Clinique et Biologique, vol. 26, no. 6-7, pp. 616–623, 2002.
- P. H. R. Green and B. Jabri, “Coeliac disease,” The Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9381, pp. 383–391, 2003.
- M. M. Niewinski, “Advances in Celiac disease and gluten-free diet,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 661–672, 2008.
- A. Lopez-Vazquez, L. Rodrigo, D. Fuentes et al., “MHC class I chain related gene A (MICA) modulates the development of coeliac disease in patients with the high risk heterodimer DQA501/DQB201,” Gut, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 336–340, 2002.
- V. M. Wolters and C. Wijmenga, “Genetic background of celiac disease and its clinical implications,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 190–195, 2008.
- P. Zubillaga, M. C. Vidales, I. Zubillaga, V. Ormaechea, N. García-Urkía, and J. C. Vitoria, “HLA-DQA1 and HLA-DQB1 genetic markers and clinical presentation in celiac disease,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 548–554, 2002.
- A. López-Vázquez, D. Fuentes, L. Rodrigo et al., “MHC class I region plays a role in the development of diverse clinical forms of celiac disease in a Saharawi population,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 662–667, 2004.
- A. Lopez-Vazquez, L. Rodrigo, D. Fuentes et al., “MICA-A5.1 allele is associated with atypical forms of celiac disease in HLA-DQ2-negative patients,” Immunogenetics, vol. 53, no. 10-11, pp. 989–991, 2002.
- Å. T. Naluai, S. Nilsson, L. Samuelsson et al., “The CTLA4/CD28 gene region on chromosome 2q33 confers susceptibility to celiac disease in a way possibly distinct from that of type 1 diabetes and other chronic inflammatory disorders,” Tissue Antigens, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 350–355, 2000.
- D. A. Van Heel, L. Franke, K. A. Hunt et al., “A genome-wide association study for celiac disease identifies risk variants in the region harboring IL2 and IL21,” Nature Genetics, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 827–829, 2007.
- M. P. Sperandeo, A. Tosco, V. Izzo et al., “Potential celiac patients: a model of celiac disease pathogenesis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 7, Article ID e21281, 2011.
- S. Gee, “On the celiac affection,” Saint Bartholomew's Hospital Reports, vol. 24, pp. 17–20, 1988.
- L. Pastore, M. De Benedittis, M. Petruzzi et al., “Importance of oral signs in the diagnosis of atypical forms of celiac disease,” Recenti Progressi in Medicina, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 482–490, 2004.
- M. Spina, G. Incorpora, T. Trigilia, F. Branciforte, G. Franco, and F. Di Gregorio, “Headache as atypical presentation of celiac disease: report of a clinical case,” Pediatria Medica e Chirurgica, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 133–135, 2001.
- C. Feighery, “Coeliac disease,” British Medical Journal, vol. 319, no. 7204, pp. 236–239, 1999.
- C. Ciacci, M. Cirillo, R. Sollazzo, G. Savino, F. Sabbatini, and G. Mazzacca, “Gender and clinical presentation in adult celiac disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1077–1081, 1995.
- S. Niveloni, E. Sugai, A. Cabanne et al., “Antibodies against synthetic deamidated gliadin peptides as predictors of celiac disease: prospective assessment in an adult population with a high pretest probability of disease,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 2186–2192, 2007.
- A. Vilppula, K. Kaukinen, L. Luostarinen et al., “Increasing prevalence and high incidence of celiac disease in elderly people: a population-based study,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 9, article 49, 2009.
- G. L. Hankey and G. K. T. Holmes, “Coeliac disease in the elderly,” Gut, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 65–67, 1994.
- Y. Lurie, D. A. Landau, J. Pfeffer, and R. Oren, “Celiac disease diagnosed in the elderly,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 59–61, 2008.
- A. Fasano, I. Berti, T. Gerarduzzi et al., “Prevalence of Celiac disease in at-risk and not-at-risk groups in the United States: a large multicenter study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 3, pp. 286–292, 2003.
- K. O. Bushara, “Neurologic presentation of celiac disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 128, no. 4, supplement 1, pp. S92–S97, 2005.
- J. Cheng, T. Malahias, P. Brar, M. T. Minaya, and P. H. R. Green, “The Association between celiac disease, dental enamel defects, and aphthous ulcers in a United States cohort,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 191–194, 2010.
- S. Leonardi, G. Vitaliti, and M. La Rosa, “Recurrent febrile infections and neutropenia in a child with silent celiac disease,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 146–149, 2010.
- N. Chand and A. A. Mihas, “Celiac disease: current concepts in diagnosis and treatment,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 2006.
- M. Viljamaa, K. Kaukinen, H. Huhtala, S. Kyrönpalo, M. Rasmussen, and P. Collin, “Coeliac disease, autoimmune diseases and gluten exposure,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 437–443, 2005.
- N. McGough and J. H. Cummings, “Coeliac disease: a diverse clinical syndrome caused by intolerance of wheat, barley and rye,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 434–450, 2005.
- G. K. T. Holmes, “Screening for coeliac disease in type 1 diabetes,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 495–499, 2002.
- D. Iafusco, F. Rea, F. Prisco, and J. F. Fitzgerald, “Hypoglycemia and reduction of the insulin requirement as a sign of celiac disease in children with IDDM,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1379–1381, 1998.
- O. Kordonouri, A. M. Maguire, M. Knip et al., “Other complications and associated conditions,” Pediatric Diabetes, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 171–176, 2007.
- E. E. Fröhlich-Reiterer, S. Hofer, S. Kaspers et al., “Screening frequency for celiac disease and autoimmune thyroiditis in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus—data from a German/Austrian multicentre survey,” Pediatric Diabetes, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 546–553, 2008.
- M. Bonamico, A. M. Pasquino, P. Mariani et al., “Prevalence and clinical picture of celiac disease in Turner syndrome,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 12, pp. 5495–5498, 2002.
- R. M. Nisihara, L. M. S. Kotze, S. R. R. Utiyama, N. P. Oliveira, P. T. Fiedler, and I. T. Messias-Reason, “Celiac disease in children and adolescents with Down syndrome,” Jornal de Pediatria, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 373–376, 2005.
- F. Cataldo, V. Marino, A. Ventura, G. Bottaro, and G. R. Corazza, “Prevalence and clinical features of selective immunoglobulin A deficiency in coeliac disease: an Italian multicentre study,” Gut, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 362–365, 1998.
- D. Béchade, J. Desramé, G. De Fuentés, P. Camparo, J. J. Raynaud, and J. P. Algayres, “Common variable immunodeficiency and celiac disease,” Gastroenterologie Clinique et Biologique, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 909–912, 2004.
- K. Lindfors, O. Koskinen, and K. Kaukinen, “An update on the diagnostics of celiac disease,” International Reviews of Immunology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 185–196, 2011.
- D. Villalta, E. Tonutti, C. Prause et al., “IgG antibodies against deamidated gliadin peptides for diagnosis of celiac disease in patients with IgA deficiency,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 464–468, 2010.
- C. Prause, T. Richter, S. Koletzko et al., “New developments in serodiagnosis of childhood celiac disease: assay of antibodies against deamidated gliadin,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1173, pp. 28–35, 2009.
- D. P. Westerberg, J. M. Gill, B. Dave, M. J. DiPrinzio, A. Quisel, and A. Foy, “New strategies for diagnosis and management of celiac disease,” Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 145–151, 2006.
- M. F. Kagnoff, “AGA institute medical position statement on the diagnosis and management of celiac disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 131, no. 6, pp. 1977–1980, 2006.
- M. N. Marsh, “Gluten, major histocompatibility complex, and the small intestine: a molecular and immunobiologic approach to the spectrum of gluten sensitivity ('celiac sprue'),” Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 330–354, 1992.
- G. Oberhuber, G. Granditsch, and H. Vogelsang, “The histopathology of coeliac disease: time for a standardized report scheme for pathologists,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1185–1194, 1999.
- G. R. Corazza and V. Villanacci, “Coeliac disease,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 573–574, 2005.
- A. Rostom, J. A. Murray, and M. F. Kagnoff, “American gastroenterological association (AGA) institute technical review on the diagnosis and management of celiac disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 131, no. 6, pp. 1981–2002, 2006.
- M. Hadjivassiliou, R. Grünewald, B. Sharrack et al., “Gluten ataxia in perspective: epidemiology, genetic susceptibility and clinical characteristics,” Brain, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 685–691, 2003.
- M. T. Pellecchia, R. Scala, A. Filla, G. De Michelle, C. Ciacci, and P. Barone, “Idiopathic cerebellar ataxia associated with celiac disease: lack of distinctive neurological features,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 32–35, 1999.
- M. Hadjivassiliou, D. S. Sanders, N. Woodroofe, C. Williamson, and R. A. Grünewald, “Gluten ataxia,” Cerebellum, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 494–498, 2008.
- R. Steele, “for the CRF∗ (Coeliac Research Fund Clinical Advisory Committee Members) Diagnosis and management of coeliac disease in children,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 87, pp. 19–25, 2011.
- C. Lagerqvist, I. Dahlbom, T. Hansson et al., “Antigliadin immunoglobulin a best in finding celiac disease in children younger than 18 months of age,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 428–435, 2008.
- M. Stern, “Comparative evaluation of serologic tests for celiac disease: a European initiative toward standardization,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 513–519, 2000.
- R. Berger and G. Schmidt, “Evaluation of six anti-gliadin antibody assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 191, no. 1, pp. 77–86, 1996.
- J. A. Abrams, B. Diamond, H. Rotterdam, and P. H. R. Green, “Seronegative celiac disease: increased prevalence with lesser degrees of villous atrophy,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 546–550, 2004.
- W. Dickey, S. A. McMillan, and D. F. Hughes, “Sensitivity of serum tissue transglutaminase antibodies for endomysial antibody positive and negative coeliac disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 511–514, 2001.
- A. Tursi, G. Brandimarte, and G. M. Giorgetti, “Prevalence of antitissue transglutaminase antibodies in different degrees of intestinal damage in celiac disease,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 219–221, 2003.
- S. Kakar, V. Nehra, J. A. Murray, G. A. Dayharsh, and L. J. Burgart, “Significance of intraepithelial lymphocytosis in small bowel biopsy samples with normal mucosal architecture,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 9, pp. 2027–2033, 2003.
- N. Krauss and D. Schuppan, “Monitoring nonresponsive patients who have celiac disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 317–327, 2006.
- M. J. Armstrong, G. G. Robins, and P. D. Howdle, “Recent advances in coeliac disease,” Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 100–109, 2009.
- A. Ensari, “Gluten-sensitive enteropathy (celiac disease): controversies in diagnosis and classification,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 826–836, 2010.
- T. R. Card, J. West, and G. K. T. Holmes, “Risk of malignancy in diagnosed coeliac disease: a 24-year prospective, population-based, cohort study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 769–775, 2004.
- J. Schmitz, “Le régime sans gluten chez l’enfant,” Journal de Pédiatrie et de Puériculture, vol. 20, pp. 337–344, 2007.
- K. P. Zimmer, “Nutrition and celiac disease,” Current Problems in Pediatric and Adolescent Health Care, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 244–247, 2011.
- D. Schuppan, M. D. Dennis, and C. P. Kelly, “Celiac disease: epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and nutritional management,” Nutrition in Clinical Care, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 54–69, 2005.
- E. M. Scott, B. B. Scott, and I. Gaywood, “Guidelines for osteoporosis in coeliac disease and inflammatory bowel disease,” Gut, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. i1–i8, 2000.
- A. K. Patwari, V. K. Anand, G. Kapur, and S. Narayan, “Clinical and nutritional profile of children with celiac disease,” Indian Pediatrics, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 337–342, 2003.
- U. Volta, L. De Franceschi, F. Lari, N. Molinaro, M. Zoli, and F. B. Bianchi, “Coeliac disease hidden by cryptogenic hypertransaminasaemia,” The Lancet, vol. 352, no. 9121, pp. 26–29, 1998.
- D. Schuppan, Y. Junker, and D. Barisani, “Celiac disease: from pathogenesis to novel therapies,” Gastroenterology, vol. 137, no. 6, pp. 1912–1933, 2009.
- A. Lerner, “New therapeutic strategies for celiac disease,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 144–147, 2010.
- S. Daum, C. Cellier, and C. J. J. Mulder, “Refractory coeliac disease,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 413–424, 2005.
- A. Al-Toma, W. H. M. Verbeek, and C. J. J. Mulder, “The management of complicated celiac disease,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 230–236, 2007.
- C. Cellier, E. Delabesse, C. Helmer et al., “Refractory sprue, coeliac disease, and enteropathy-associated T-cell lymphoma,” The Lancet, vol. 356, no. 9225, pp. 203–208, 2000.
- M. S. Goerres, J. W. R. Meijer, P. J. Wahab et al., “Azathioprine and prednisone combination therapy in refractory coeliac disease,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 487–494, 2003.
- P. J. Wahab, J. B. A. Crusius, J. W. R. Meijer, J. J. Uil, and C. J. J. Mulder, “Cyclosporin in the treatment of adults with refractory coeliac disease—an open pilot study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 767–774, 2000.