- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 639748, 8 pages
Ki-67 Antigen Overexpression Is Associated with the Metaplasia-Adenocarcinoma Sequence in Barrett's Esophagus
Department of Surgery, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre, School of Medicine, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, 90035-903 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Received 24 April 2012; Accepted 26 May 2012
Academic Editor: Jin-Lian Chen
Copyright © 2012 Bernardo Silveira Volkweis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Peters, J. A. Hagen, and S. R. DeMeester, “Barrett's esophagus,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2004.
- G. J. S. Jenkins, S. H. Doak, J. M. Parry, F. R. D'Souza, A. P. Griffiths, and J. N. Baxter, “Genetic pathways involved in the progression of Barrett's metaplasia to adenocarcinoma,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 824–837, 2002.
- A. J. Cameron and H. A. Carpenter, “Barrett's esophagus, high-grade dysplasia, and early adenocarcinoma: a pathological study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 586–591, 1997.
- J. Lagergren, R. Bergström, A. Lindgren, and O. Nyrén, “Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux as a risk factor for esophageal adenocarcinoma,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 11, pp. 825–831, 1999.
- A. J. Cameron, B. J. Ott, and W. S. Payne, “The incidence of adenocarcinoma in columnar-lined (Barrett's) esophagus,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 313, no. 14, pp. 857–859, 1985.
- S. R. DeMeester and T. R. DeMeester, “Columnar mucosa and intestinal metaplasia of the esophagus: fifty years of controversy,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 231, no. 3, pp. 303–321, 2000.
- S. J. Spechler, “The natural history of dysplasia and cancer in esophagitis and Barrett esophagus,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 36, no. 5, supplement, pp. S2–S5, 2003.
- S. S. Devesa, W. J. Blot, and J. F. Fraumeni Jr., “Changing patterns in the incidence of esophageal and gastric carcinoma in the United States,” Cancer, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 2049–2053, 1998.
- H. Pohl, B. Sirovich, and H. G. Welch, “Esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence: are we reaching the peak?” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1468–1470, 2010.
- S. G. de Barros, R. M. Vidal, L. P. Luz, et al., “Prevalence of adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and esophagogastric junction in a 10 year period at a cancer referral center in southern Brazil,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 32–36, 1999.
- S. Szachnowicz, I. Cecconello, K. Iriya, A. G. Marson, F. R. Takeda, and J. J. Gama-Rodrigues, “Origin of adenocarcinoma in Barrett's esophagus: p53 and Ki67 expression and histopathologic background,” Clinics, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 103–112, 2005.
- T. W. Rice, V. W. Rusch, H. Ishwaran, and E. H. Blackstone, “Cancer of the esophagus and esophagogastric junction: data-driven staging for the seventh edition of the American Joint Committee on Cancer/International Union Against Cancer Cancer Staging Manuals,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 16, pp. 3763–3773, 2010.
- A. H. Hölscher, E. Bollschweiler, P. M. Schneider, and J. R. Siewert, “Early adenocarcinoma in Barrett's oesophagus,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 84, no. 10, pp. 1470–1473, 1997.
- B. Nobukawa, S. C. Abraham, J. Gill, R. F. Heitmiller, and T. T. Wu, “Clinicopathologic and molecular analysis of high-grade dysplasia and early adenocarcinoma in short- versus long-segment Barrett esophagus,” Human Pathology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 447–454, 2001.
- B. J. Reid, R. C. Haggitt, C. E. Rubin et al., “Observer variation in the diagnosis of dysplasia in Barrett's esophagus,” Human Pathology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 166–178, 1988.
- D. S. Levine, R. C. Haggitt, P. L. Blount, P. S. Rabinovitch, V. W. Rusch, and B. J. Reid, “An endoscopic biopsy protocol can differentiate high-grade dysplasia from early adenocarcinoma in Barrett's esophagus,” Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 40–50, 1993.
- C. D. Lao, M. Simmons, S. Syngal et al., “Dysplasia in Barrett esophagus: implications for chemoprevention,” Cancer, vol. 100, no. 8, pp. 1622–1627, 2004.
- R. R. Gurski, J. H. Peters, J. A. Hagen et al., “Barrett's esophagus can and does regress after antireflux surgery: a study of prevalence and predictive features,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 196, no. 5, pp. 706–713, 2003.
- J. F. Fléjou, “Barrett's oesophagus: from metaplasia to dysplasia and cancer,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. i6–i12, 2005.
- E. Montgomery, J. R. Goldblum, J. K. Greenson et al., “Dysplasia as a predictive marker for invasive carcinoma in barrett esophagus: a follow-up study based on 138 cases from a diagnostic variability study,” Human Pathology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 379–388, 2001.
- M. J. Edwards, D. R. Gable, A. B. Lentsch, and J. D. Richardson, “The rationale for esophagectomy as the optimal therapy for Barrett's esophagus with high-grade dysplasia,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 223, no. 5, pp. 585–591, 1996.
- M. Sikkema, C. W. N. Looman, E. W. Steyerberg et al., “Predictors for neoplastic progression in patients with Barrett's esophagus: a prospective cohort study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 1231–1238, 2011.
- B. J. Reid, “Barrett's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 817–834, 1991.
- B. J. Reid, P. L. Blount, C. E. Rubin, D. S. Levine, R. C. Haggitt, and P. S. Rabinovitch, “Flow-cytometric and histological progression to malignancy in Barrett's esophagus: prospective endoscopic surveillance of a cohort,” Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 1212–1219, 1992.
- D. B. Skinner, B. C. Walther, and R. H. Riddell, “Barrett's esophagus. Comparison of benign and malignant cases,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 198, no. 4, pp. 554–566, 1983.
- P. Chandrasoma, “Pathophysiology of Barrett's esophagus,” Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 270–278, 1997.
- T. R. DeMeester, “Clinical biology of the Barrett's metaplasia, dysplasia to carcinoma sequence,” Surgical Oncology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 91–102, 2001.
- S. Öberg, J. H. Peters, T. R. DeMeester et al., “Inflammation and specialized intestinal metaplasia of cardiac mucosa is a manifestation of gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 226, no. 4, pp. 522–532, 1997.
- C. P. Morales, R. F. Souza, and S. J. Spechler, “Hallmarks of cancer progression in Barrett's oesophagus,” The Lancet, vol. 360, no. 9345, pp. 1587–1589, 2002.
- J. A. Jankowski, N. A. Wright, S. J. Meltzer et al., “Molecular evolution of the metaplasia-dysplasia-adenocarcinoma sequence in the esophagus,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 154, no. 4, pp. 965–973, 1999.
- B. P. L. Wijnhoven, H. W. Tilanus, and W. N. M. Dinjens, “Molecular biology of Barrett's adenocarcinoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 233, no. 3, pp. 322–337, 2001.
- D. S. A. Sanders, P. Taniere, R. F. Harrison, and J. A. Z. Jankowski, “Clinical and molecular pathology of the metaplasia-dysplasia-carcinoma sequence in Barrett's oesophagus,” Current Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 235–241, 2003.
- E. Endl and J. Gerdes, “The Ki-67 protein: fascinating forms and an unknown function,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 257, no. 2, pp. 231–237, 2000.
- D. McCormick, H. Chong, C. Hobbs, C. Datta, and P. A. Hall, “Detection of the Ki-67 antigen in fixed and wax-embedded sections with the monoclonal antibody MIB1,” Histopathology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 355–360, 1993.
- M. Kerkhof, E. W. Steyerberg, J. G. Kusters et al., “Aneuploidy and high expression of p53 and Ki67 is associated with neoplastic progression in Barrett esophagus,” Cancer Biomarkers, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2008.
- M. Feith, H. J. Stein, J. Mueller, and J. R. Siewert, “Malignant degeneration of Barrett's esophagus: the role of the Ki-67 proliferation fraction, expression of E-cadherin and p53,” Diseases of the Esophagus, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 322–327, 2004.
- N. Rioux-Leclercq, B. Turlin, F. Sutherland et al., “Analysis of Ki-67, p53 and Bcl-2 expression in the dysplasia-carcinoma sequence of Barrett's esophagus,” Oncology Reports, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 877–882, 1999.
- G. Y. Lauwers, O. Kandemir, P. S. Kubilis, and G. V. Scott, “Cellular kinetics in Barrett's epithelium carcinogenic sequence: roles of apoptosis, bcl-2 protein, and cellular proliferation,” Modern Pathology, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1201–1208, 1997.
- M. Xu, Y. L. Jin, J. Fu et al., “The abnormal expression of retinoic acid receptor-β, p53 and Ki67 protein in normal, premalignant and malignant esophageal tissues,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 200–202, 2002.
- H. J. Stein, M. Feith, and J. R. Siewert, “Cancer of the esophagogastric junction,” Surgical Oncology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 2000.
- E. Montgomery, M. P. Bronner, J. R. Goldblum et al., “Reproducibility of the diagnosis of dysplasia in Barrett esophagus: a reaffirmation,” Human Pathology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 368–378, 2001.
- G. Faller, F. Borchard, C. Ell et al., “Histopathological diagnosis of Barrett's mucosa and associated neoplasias: results of a consensus conference of the Working Group for Gastroenterological Pathology of the German Society for Pathology on 22 September 2001 in Erlangen,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 443, no. 5, pp. 597–601, 2003.
- G. J. A. Offerhaus, P. Correa, S. Van Eeden et al., “Report of an Amsterdam Working Group on Barrett Esophagus,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 443, no. 5, pp. 602–608, 2003.
- L.-Q. Chen, C.-Y. Hu, L. Gaboury, M. Pera, P. Ferraro, and A. C. Duranceau, “Proliferative activity in Barrett's esophagus before and after antireflux surgery,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 234, no. 2, pp. 172–180, 2001.
- J. Gerdes, H. Pickartz, J. Brotherton, J. Hammerstein, H. Weitzel, and H. Stein, “Growth fractions and estrogen receptors in human breast cancers as determined in situ with monoclonal antibodies,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 486–492, 1987.
- A. H. Mulder, J. C. S. P. Van Hootegem, R. Sylvester et al., “Prognostic factors in bladder carcinoma: histologic parameters and expression of a cell cycle-related nuclear antigen (Ki-67),” Journal of Pathology, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 1992.
- N. E. Tzanakis, G. Peros, P. Karakitsos et al., “Prognostic significance of p53 and Ki67 proteins expression in greek gastric cancer patients,” Acta Chirurgica Belgica, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 606–611, 2009.
- R. Porschen, A. Kriegel, C. Langen et al., “Assessment of proliferative activity in carcinomas of the human alimentary tract by Ki-67 immunostaining,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 686–691, 1991.
- S. Y. Iftikhar, R. J. C. Steele, S. Watson, P. D. James, K. Dilks, and J. D. Hardcastle, “Assessment of proliferation of squamous, Barrett's and gastric mucosa in patients with columnar lined Barrett's oesophagus,” Gut, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 733–737, 1992.
- B. J. Reid, C. A. Sanchez, P. L. Blount, and D. S. Levine, “Barrett's esophagus: cell cycle abnormalities in advancing stages of neoplastic progression,” Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 119–129, 1993.
- B. J. Reid, D. S. Levine, G. Longton, P. L. Blount, and P. S. Rabinovitch, “Predictors of progression to cancer in Barrett's esophagus: baseline histology and flow cytometry identify low- and high-risk patient subsets,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 1669–1676, 2000.
- M. M. Reid, “Flow cytometry and Kleihauer tests,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 49, no. 4, p. 354, 1996.
- R. C. Haggitt, B. J. Reid, P. S. Rabinovitch, and C. E. Rubin, “Barrett's esophagus. Correlation between mucin histochemistry, flow cytometry, and histologic diagnosis for predicting increased cancer risk,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 1988.
- T. Scholzen and J. Gerdes, “The Ki-67 protein: from the known and the unknown,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 182, no. 3, pp. 311–322, 2000.
- M. K. Hong, W. B. Laskin, B. E. Herman et al., “Expansion of the Ki-67 proliferative compartment correlates with degree of dysplasia in Barrett's esophagus,” Cancer, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 423–429, 1995.
- W. Polkowski, J. J. B. Van Lanschot, F. J. W. Ten Kate et al., “The value of p53 and Ki67 as markers for tumour progression in the Barrett's dysplasia-carcinoma sequence,” Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 163–171, 1995.
- P. Bhargava, G. M. Eisen, D. A. Holterman et al., “Endoscopic mapping and surrogate markers for better surveillance in Barrett esophagus: a study of 700 biopsy specimens,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 552–563, 2000.