- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 682156, 9 pages
Influence of Diet and Tobacco Smoking on Pancreatic Cancer Incidence in Poland in 1960–2008
National Food and Nutrition Institute, Powsińska Street 61/63, 02-903 Warsaw, Poland
Received 25 May 2012; Revised 12 November 2012; Accepted 22 November 2012
Academic Editor: Grazyna Rydzewska
Copyright © 2012 Mirosław Jarosz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Cancer Research Fund and American Institute for Cancer Research, Food, Nutrition and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective, WCRF/AICR, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- P. Maisonneuve and A. B. Lowenfels, “Epidemiology of pancreatic cancer: an update,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 28, no. 4-5, pp. 645–656, 2010.
- A. Cappellani, A. Cavallaro, M. Di Vita, et al., “Diet and pancreatic cancer: many questions with few certainties,” European Review For Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 192–206, 2012.
- D. S. Michaud, “Epidemiology of pancreatic cancer,” Minerva Chirurgica, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 99–111, 2004.
- M. Skłodowska and Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, Reports based on data of National Cancer Registry, http://184.108.40.206/krn/english/index.asp.
- G. V. Sanchez, S. J. Weinstein, and R. Z. Stolzenberg-Solomon, “Is dietary fat, vitamin D, or folate associated with pancreatic cancer?” Molecular Carcinogenesis, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 119–127, 2012.
- T. Welsch, J. Kleeff, H. K. Seitz, P. Büchler, H. Friess, and M. W. Büchler, “Update on pancreatic cancer and alcohol-associated risk,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 21, supplement 3, pp. S69–S75, 2006.
- V. L. W. Go, A. Gukovskaya, and S. J. Pandol, “Alcohol and pancreatic cancer,” Alcohol, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 205–211, 2005.
- T. Koszarowski, H. Gadomska, Z. Wronkowski, and M. Romejko, Nowotwory złośliwe w Polsce w latach 1952–1982, Maria Skłodowska-Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, Warsaw, Poland, 1987.
- W. Sekuła, K. Figurska, I. Jutrowska, and A. Barysz, “Changes in the food consumption pattern during the political and economic transition in Poland and their nutritional and health implications,” Polish Population Review, vol. 27, pp. 141–158, 2005.
- W. Sekuła, Z. Niedziałek, K. Figurska, M. Morawska, and T. Boruc, Food Consumption in Poland Converted into Energy and Nutrients, 1950–1995, National Food and Nutrition Institute, Warsaw, Poland, 1996.
- W. Sekuła, “Political and Economic Determinants of Dietary Changes-Focus on Poland,” Żywienie Człowieka i Metabolizm, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 146–159, 2001.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Food Balance Sheets, FAO, Rome, Italy, 2003.
- H. Kunachowicz, I. Nadolna, B. Przygoda, and K. Iwanow, Tabele Składu i Wartości Odżywczej Żywności, Wydawnictwo Lekarskie PZWL, Warsaw, Poland, 2005.
- Central Statistical Office, Statistical Yearbook 2009, Central Statistical Office, Warsaw, Poland, 2009.
- L. E. Kelemen, “GI Epidemiology: nutritional epidemiology,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 401–407, 2007.
- J. D. Potter, “Invited commentary: pancreas cancer-we know about smoking, but do we know anything else?” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 155, no. 9, pp. 793–795, 2002.
- A. R. Hart, “Pancreatic cancer: any prospects for prevention?” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 75, no. 887, pp. 521–526, 1999.
- J. Peto, “Cancer epidemiology in the last century and the next decade,” Nature, vol. 411, no. 6835, pp. 390–395, 2001.
- M. Winick, “Mechanism of the obesity and cancer connection,” Obesity Research, vol. 7, supplement 1, p. 2S, 1999.
- U. Biela, A. Pająk, K. Kaczmarczyk-Chałas, et al., “Częstość występowania nadwagi i otyłości u kobiet i mężczyzn w wieku 20–74 lata. Wyniki programu WOBASZ,” Kardiologia Polska, vol. 63, supplement 4, pp. 632–635, 2005.
- L. Szponar, W. Sekuła, E. Rychlik, M. Ołtarzewski, and K. Figurska, Badania Indywidualnego Spożycia Żywności i Stanu odżywienia w Gospodarstwach Domowych, National Food and Nutrition Institute, Warsaw, Poland, 2003.
- R. A. Woutersen, M. J. Appel, A. Van Garderen-Hoetmer, and M. V. W. Wijnands, “Dietary fat and carcinogenesis,” Mutation Research, vol. 443, no. 1-2, pp. 111–127, 1999.
- O. N. Tucker, A. J. Dannenberg, E. Y. Yang, and T. J. Fahey, “Bile acids induce cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human pancreatic cancer cell lines,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 419–423, 2004.
- B. Vessby, “Dietary fat and insulin action in humans,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 83, supplement 1, pp. S91–S96, 2000.
- S. López, B. Bermúdez, Y. M. Pacheco, J. Villar, R. Abia, and F. J. G. Muriana, “Distinctive postprandial modulation of β cell function and insulin sensitivity by dietary fats: monounsaturated compared with saturated fatty acids,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 638–644, 2008.
- B. Vessby, M. Uusitupa, K. Hermansen et al., “Substituting dietary saturated for monounsaturated fat impairs insulin sensitivity in healthy men and women: the KANWU study,” Diabetologia, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 312–319, 2001.
- R. Huxley, A. Ansary-Moghaddam, A. Berrington De González, F. Barzi, and M. Woodward, “Type-II diabetes and pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis of 36 studies,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 92, no. 11, pp. 2076–2083, 2005.
- Q. Ben, M. Xu, X. Ning, et al., “Diabetes mellitus and risk of pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis of cohort studies,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 47, no. 13, pp. 1928–1937, 2011.
- J. M. Chan, F. Wang, and E. A. Holly, “Pancreatic cancer, animal protein and dietary fat in a population-based study, San Francisco Bay Area, California,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1153–1167, 2007.
- J. Zhang, Z. Zhao, and H. J. Berkel, “Animal fat consumption and pancreatic cancer incidence: evidence of interaction with cigarette smoking,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 500–508, 2005.
- A. C. M. Thiébaut, L. Jiao, D. T. Silverman et al., “Dietary fatty acids and pancreatic cancer in the NIH-AARP diet and health study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 101, no. 14, pp. 1001–1011, 2009.
- U. Nöthlings, L. R. Wilkens, S. P. Murphy, J. H. Hankin, B. E. Henderson, and L. N. Kolonel, “Meat and fat intake as risk factors for pancreatic cancer: the multiethnic cohort study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 97, no. 19, pp. 1458–1465, 2005.
- U. Nöthlings, S. P. Murphy, L. R. Wilkens, B. E. Henderson, and L. N. Kolonel, “Dietary glycemic load, added sugars, and carbohydrates as risk factors for pancreatic cancer: the Multiethnic Cohort Study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 1495–1501, 2007.
- S. C. Larsson, L. Bergkvist, and A. Wolk, “Consumption of sugar and sugar-sweetened foods and the risk of pancreatic cancer in a prospective study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 1171–1176, 2006.
- S. C. Larsson, N. Håkanson, J. Permert, and A. Wolk, “Meat, fish, poultry and egg consumption in relation to risk of pancreatic cancer: a prospective study,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 118, no. 11, pp. 2866–2870, 2006.
- S. C. Larsson and A. Wolk, “Red and processed meat consumption and risk of pancreatic cancer: meta-analysis of prospective studies,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 603–607, 2012.
- P. Paluszkiewicz, K. Smolińska, I. Dębińska, and W. A. Turski, “Main dietary compounds and pancreatic cancer risk. The quantitative analysis of case-control and cohort studies,” Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 60–67, 2012.
- D. S. Michaud, E. Giovannucci, W. C. Willett, G. A. Colditz, and C. S. Fuchs, “Dietary meat, dairy products, fat, and cholesterol and pancreatic cancer risk in a prospective study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 157, no. 12, pp. 1115–1125, 2003.
- S. S. Coughlin, E. E. Calle, A. V. Patel, and M. J. Thun, “Predictors of pancreatic cancer mortality among a large cohort of United States adults,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 915–923, 2000.
- Y. S. Keum, W. S. Jeong, and A. N. Kong, “Chemoprevention by isothiocyanates and their underlying molecular signaling mechanisms,” Mutation Research, vol. 555, no. 1-2, pp. 191–202, 2004.
- R. J. Jansen, D. P. Robinson, R. Z. Stolzenberg-Solomon, et al., “Fruit and vegetable consumption is inversely associated with having pancreatic cancer,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1613–1625, 2011.
- M. M. Heinen, B. A. Verhage, R. A. Goldbohm, and P. A. van den Brandt, “Intake of vegetables, fruits, carotenoids and vitamins C and E and pancreatic cancer risk in The Netherlands Cohort Study,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 147–158, 2012.
- J. M. Chan, F. Wang, and E. A. Holly, “Whole grains and risk of pancreatic cancer in a large population-based case-control study in the San Francisco Bay Area, California,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 166, no. 10, pp. 1174–1185, 2007.
- S. C. Larsson, N. Håkansson, E. Giovannucci, and A. Wolk, “Folate intake and pancreatic cancer incidence: a prospective study of swedish women and men,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 407–413, 2006.
- R. Z. Stolzenberg-Solomon, P. Pietinen, M. J. Barrett, P. R. Taylor, J. Virtamo, and D. Albanes, “Dietary and other methyl-group availability factors and pancreatic cancer risk in a cohort of male smokers,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 153, no. 7, pp. 680–687, 2001.
- B. M. Oaks, K. W. Dodd, C. L. Meinhold, L. Jiao, T. R. Church, and R. Z. Stolzenberg-Solomon, “Folate intake, post-folic acid grain fortification, and pancreatic cancer risk in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 449–455, 2010.
- H. G. Skinner, D. S. Michaud, E. L. Giovannucci et al., “A prospective study of folate intake and the risk of pancreatic cancer in men and women,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 160, no. 3, pp. 248–258, 2004.
- A. P. Keszei, B. A. J. Verhage, M. M. Heinen, R. A. Goldbohm, and P. A. Van Den Brandt, “Dietary folate and folate vitamers and the risk of pancreatic cancer in the Netherlands cohort study,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1785–1791, 2009.
- M. M. Hassan, M. L. Bondy, R. A. Wolff et al., “Risk factors for pancreatic cancer: case-control study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 12, pp. 2696–2707, 2007.
- D. T. Silverman, “Risk factors for pancreatic cancer: a case-control study based on direct interviews,” Teratogenesis, Carcinogenesis, and Mutagenesis, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 7–25, 2001.
- S. Iodice, S. Gandini, P. Maisonneuve, and A. B. Lowenfels, “Tobacco and the risk of pancreatic cancer: a review and meta-analysis,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 393, no. 4, pp. 535–545, 2008.
- E. J. Duell, “Epidemiology and potential mechanisms of tobacco smoking and heavy alcohol consumption in pancreatic cancer,” Molecular Carcinogenesis, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 40–52, 2012.
- N. Malats, M. Porta, J. M. Corominas, J. L. Pinñol, J. Rifà, and F. X. Real, “Ki-ras mutations in exocrine pancreatic cancer: association with clinico-pathological characteristics and with tobacco and alcohol consumption. PANK-ras I Project Investigators,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 661–667, 1997.
- I. Mulder, R. T. Hoogenveen, M. L. L. Van Genugten et al., “Smoking cessation would substantially reduce the future incidence of pancreatic cancer in the European Union,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1343–1353, 2002.