- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 690256, 6 pages
Pulmonary Metastasis from Pseudomyxoma Peritonei
Department of Surgery, Kishiwada City Hospital, 1001 Gakuhara-cho, Kishiwada, Osaka 5968501, Japan
Received 3 March 2012; Accepted 19 April 2012
Academic Editor: Yutaka Yonemura
Copyright © 2012 Toshiyuki Kitai. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Rosai, “Pseudomyxoma peritonei,” in Rosai and Ackerman’s Surgical Pathology, pp. 2386–2387, Mosby, London, UK, 9th edition, 2004.
- B. Moran, D. Baratti, T. D. Yan, S. Kusamura, and M. Deraco, “Consensus statement on the loco-regional treatment of appendiceal mucinous neoplasms with peritoneal dissemination (pseudomyxoma peritonei),” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 277–282, 2008.
- T. D. Yan, D. Black, R. Savady, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “A systematic review on the efficacy of cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 484–492, 2007.
- T. Berge, “Mucocelle appendicis with pseudomyxoma peritonei and pulmonary metastases,” Acta Pathologica et Microbiologica Scandinavica, vol. 60, pp. 483–486, 1964.
- G. Chevillotte, R. Choux, and G. Spik, “Pseudomyxoma peritonei: a case report with multiple metastasis. Ultrastructural study and chemical analysis of mucoid substance,” Gastroenterologie Clinique et Biologique, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 445–450, 1983.
- P. Kreissig, J. Daucourt, and G. Garnier, “Pseudomyxoma peritonei with pulmonary metastasis,” Presse Medicale, vol. 20, no. 27, p. 1287, 1991.
- K. D. Mortman, P. A. Sugarbaker, B. M. Shmookler, V. C. DeGuzman, and M. S. Soberman, “Pulmonary metastases in pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 1434–1436, 1997.
- B. Y. Lee, H. S. Kim, S. H. Lee et al., “Pseudomyxoma peritonei: extraperitoneal spread to the pleural cavity and lung,” Journal of Thoracic Imaging, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 123–126, 2004.
- K. R. Geisinger, E. A. Levine, P. Shen, and R. F. Bradley, “Pleuropulmonary involvement in pseudomyxoma peritonei: morphologic assessment and literature review,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 135–143, 2007.
- A. A. Khan, J. Tambiah, P. Cane, and L. Lang-Lazdunski, “Prolonged survival in a patient with recurrent pulmonary metastases secondary to mucinous cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix with pseudomyxomatous peritonei,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 1893–1894, 2007.
- J. Misdraji, “Appendiceal mucinous neoplasms: controversial issues,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 864–870, 2010.
- B. M. Ronnett, H. Yan, R. J. Kurman, B. M. Shmookler, L. Wu, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei associated with disseminated peritoneal adenomucinosis have a significantly more favorable prognosis than patients with peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis,” Cancer, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 85–91, 2001.
- S. R. Pestieau, J. Esquivel, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Pleural extension of mucinous tumor in patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 199–203, 2000.
- T. C. Chua, T. D. Yan, Z. L. Yap, M. D. Horton, G. C. Fermanis, and D. L. Morris, “Thoracic cytoreductive surgery and intraoperative hyperthermic intrathoracic chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 292–295, 2009.
- S. R. Pestieau, R. Wolk, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Congenital pleuroperitoneal communication in a patient with pseudomyxoma peritonei,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 174–178, 2000.
- J. Cabanas, R. Gomes Da Silva, L. Zappa et al., “Splenic metastases from mucinous neoplasms of the appendix and colon,” Tumori, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 104–112, 2006.
- R. Bibi, N. Pranesh, M. P. Saunders et al., “A specific cadherin phenotype may characterise the disseminating yet non-metastatic behaviour of pseudomyxoma peritonei,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 1258–1264, 2006.
- C. Semino-Mora, H. Liu, T. McAvoy et al., “Pseudomyxoma peritonei: is disease progression related to microbial agents? A study of bacteria, MUC2 and MUC5AC expression in disseminated peritoneal adenomucinosis and peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1414–1423, 2008.
- G. Lorusso and C. Rüegg, “The tumor microenvironment and its contribution to tumor evolution toward metastasis,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 1091–1103, 2008.
- J. Hill, S. Rafeeq, D. Rice, et al., “Clinicopathological characteristics of patients with appendiceal adenocarcinoma (AA) and intra-thoracic metastasis,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Regional Cancer Therapies, Fla, USA, February 2012.
- NCCN guidelines Version 3, “Colon cancer. Principles of surgery, criteria for resectability of metastases and locoregional therapy within surgery, 2012”.
- T. J. Miner, J. Shia, D. P. Jaques, D. S. Klimstra, M. F. Brennan, and D. G. Coit, “Long-term survival following treatment of pseudomyxoma peritonei: an analysis of surgical therapy,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 241, no. 2, pp. 300–308, 2005.