- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 768247, 6 pages
The Association between Obesity and Colorectal Cancer
1Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2R3
2Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2R3
3Center for the Advancement of Minimally Invasive Surgery (CAMIS), Royal Alexandra Hospital, Edmonton, AB, Canada T5H 3V9
Received 9 August 2012; Revised 26 October 2012; Accepted 26 October 2012
Academic Editor: A. Castells
Copyright © 2012 Kevin Whitlock et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. M. Finucane, G. A. Stevens, M. J. Cowan et al., “National, regional, and global trends in body-mass index since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 960 country-years and 9·1 million participants,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9765, pp. 557–567, 2011.
- WHO, “Obesity and Overweight,” Fact sheet 311, 2011.
- T. Kelly, W. Yang, C. S. Chen, K. Reynolds, and J. He, “Global burden of obesity in 2005 and projections to 2030,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1431–1437, 2008.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer, “Globocan 2008 Fact Stats,” 2010.
- Canadian Cancer Society, “Canadian Cancer Statistics 2011,” Canadian Cancer Society, 2011.
- American Cancer Society, “Cancer Facts & Figures 2011,” 500811, 2011.
- A. P. Polednak, “Estimating the number of U.S. incident cancers attributable to obesity and the impact on temporal trends in incidence rates for obesity-related cancers,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 190–199, 2008.
- D. J. Harriss, G. Atkinson, K. George et al., “Lifestyle factors and colorectal cancer risk (1): systematic review and meta-analysis of associations with body mass index,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 547–563, 2009.
- L. M. Coussens and Z. Werb, “Inflammation and cancer,” Nature, vol. 420, no. 6917, pp. 860–867, 2002.
- H. Ashrafian, K. Ahmed, S. P. Rowland et al., “Metabolic surgery and cancer,” Cancer, vol. 117, no. 9, pp. 1788–1799, 2011.
- M. Trevisan, J. Liu, P. Muti, G. Misciagna, A. Menotti, and F. Fucci, “Markers of insulin resistance and colorectal cancer mortality,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 937–941, 2001.
- L. A. Colangelo, S. M. Gapstur, P. H. Gann, A. R. Dyer, and K. Liu, “Colorectal cancer mortality and factors related to the insulin resistance syndrome,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 385–391, 2002.
- N. V. Christou, M. Lieberman, F. Sampalis, and J. S. Sampalis, “Bariatric surgery reduces cancer risk in morbidly obese patients,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 691–695, 2008.
- L. Sjöström, A. Gummesson, C. D. Sjöström et al., “Effects of bariatric surgery on cancer incidence in obese patients in Sweden (Swedish Obese Subjects Study): a prospective, controlled intervention trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 653–662, 2009.
- Z. Dai, Y. C. Xu, and L. Niu, “Obesity and colorectal cancer risk: a meta-analysis of cohort studies,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 31, pp. 4199–4206, 2007.
- T. Pischon, P. H. Lahmann, H. Boeing et al., “Body size and risk of colon and rectal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC),” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 98, no. 13, pp. 920–931, 2006.
- K. Rapp, J. Schroeder, J. Klenk et al., “Obesity and incidence of cancer: a large cohort study of over 145 000 adults in Austria,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 93, no. 9, pp. 1062–1067, 2005.
- R. P. Merkow, K. Y. Bilimoria, M. D. McCarter, and D. J. Bentrem, “Effect of body mass index on short-term outcomes after colectomy for cancer,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 208, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 2009.
- L. A. Healy, A. M. Ryan, E. Sutton et al., “Impact of obesity on surgical and oncological outcomes in the management of colorectal cancer,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1293–1299, 2010.
- S. Kamoun, A. Alves, F. Bretagnol, J. H. Lefevre, P. Valleur, and Y. Panis, “Outcomes of laparoscopic colorectal surgery in obese and nonobese patients: a case-matched study of 180 patients,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 198, no. 3, pp. 450–455, 2009.
- Y. Panis, L. Maggiori, and G. Caranhac, “Mortality after colorectal cancer surgery: a French survey of more than 84,000 patients,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 254, no. 5, pp. 738–743, 2011.
- G. Y. Noh, D. Y. Hwang, Y. H. Choi, and Y. Y. Lee, “Effect of diabetes mellitus on outcomes of colorectal cancer,” Journal of the Korean Society of Coloproctology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 424–428, 2010.
- F. A. Sinicrope, N. R. Foster, D. J. Sargent, M. J. O'Connell, and C. Rankin, “Obesity is an independent prognostic variable in colon cancer survivors,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1884–1893, 2010.
- N. Ballian, B. Yamane, G. Leverson et al., “Body mass index does not affect postoperative morbidity and oncologic outcomes of total mesorectal excision for rectal adenocarcinoma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1606–1613, 2010.
- A. Singh, G. Muthukumarasamy, N. Pawa, A. A. Riaz, J. B. Hendricks, and R. W. Motson, “Laparoscopic colorectal cancer surgery in obese patients,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 878–883, 2011.
- N. Yamamoto, S. Fujii, and T. Sato, “Impact of body mass index and visceral adiposity on outcomes in colorectal cancer,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. In press.
- C. Q. Chen, L. K. Fang, S. R. Cai et al., “Effects of diabetes mellitus on prognosis of the patients with colorectal cancer undergoing resection: a cohort study with 945 patients,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 123, no. 21, pp. 3084–3088, 2010.
- N. Anand, C. A. Chong, R. Y. Chong, and G. C. Nguyen, “Impact of diabetes on postoperative outcomes following colon cancer surgery,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 809–813, 2010.
- S. Tsujinaka, F. Konishi, Y. J. Kawamura et al., “Visceral obesity predicts surgical outcomes after laparoscopic colectomy for sigmoid colon cancer,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 1757–1765, 2008.
- C. J. Balentine, J. Wilks, C. Robinson et al., “Obesity increases wound complications in rectal cancer surgery,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 2010.
- J. Leroy, P. Ananian, F. Rubino, B. Claudon, D. Mutter, and J. Marescaux, “The impact of obesity on technical feasibility and postoperative outcomes of laparoscopic left colectomy,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 241, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2005.
- S. Benoist, Y. Panis, A. Alves, and P. Valleur, “Impact of obesity on surgical outcomes after colorectal resection,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 179, no. 4, pp. 275–281, 2000.
- T. Makino, P. J. Shukla, and F. Rubino, “The impact of obesity on perioperative outcomes after laparoscopic colorectal resection,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 255, no. 2, pp. 228–236, 2012.
- J. W. Park, S. W. Lim, H. S. Choi, S. Y. Jeong, J. H. Oh, and S. B. Lim, “The impact of obesity on outcomes of laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer in Asians,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1679–1685, 2010.
- E. E. Calle, C. Rodriguez, K. Walker-Thurmond, and M. J. Thun, “Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. Adults,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 17, pp. 1625–1638, 2003.
- C. Eheman, S. J. Henley, R. Ballard-Barbash, et al., “Annual Report to the Nation on the status of cancer, 1975–2008, featuring cancers associated with excess weight and lack of sufficient physical activity,” Cancer, vol. 118, no. 9, pp. 2338–2366, 2012.
- T. Akiyoshi, M. Ueno, and Y. Fukunaga, “Effect of body mass index on short-term outcomes of patients undergoing laparoscopic resection for colorectal cancer: a single institution experience in Japan,” Surgical Laparoscopy Endoscopy & Percutaneous Techniques, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 409–414, 2011.
- K. Sakamoto, S. Niwa, M. Tanaka, M. Goto, H. Sengoku, and Y. Tomiki, “Influence of obesity on the short-term outcome of laparoscopic colectomy for colorectal cancer,” Journal of Minimal Access Surgery, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 98–103, 2007.
- B. Andreoni, A. Chiappa, E. Bertani et al., “Surgical outcomes for colon and rectal cancer over a decade: results from a consecutive monocentric experience in 902 unselected patients,” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 5, article 73, 2007.