- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 827534, 5 pages
Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy with Melphalan: A Summary of Clinical and Pharmacological Data in 34 Patients
1Washington Cancer Institute, Washington, DC 20010, USA
2MedStar Health Research Institute, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Received 16 April 2012; Accepted 1 May 2012
Academic Editor: Yan Li
Copyright © 2012 Lana Bijelic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “Epithelial appendiceal neoplasms,” Cancer Journal, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 225–235, 2009.
- L. Maggiori and D. Elias, “Curative treatment of colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis: current status and future trends,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 599–603, 2010.
- T. D. Yan, M. Deraco, D. Baratti et al., “Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: multi-institutional experience,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 36, pp. 6237–6242, 2009.
- T. C. Chua, I. Al-Alem, A. Saxena, W. Liauw, and D. L. Morris, “Surgical cytoreduction and survival in appendiceal cancer peritoneal carcinomatosis: an evaluation of 46 consecutive patients,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1540–1546, 2011.
- T. D. Yan, E. A. Brun, C. A. Cerruto, N. Haveric, D. Chang, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Prognostic indicators for patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2007.
- L. Bijelic, T. D. Yan, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Failure analysis of recurrent disease following complete cytoreduction and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis from colorectal cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 2281–2288, 2007.
- T. D. Yan, L. Bijelic, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Critical analysis of treatment failure after complete cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for peritoneal dissemination from appendiceal mucinous neoplasms,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 2289–2299, 2007.
- D. Baratti, S. Kusamura, A. D. Cabras, P. Dileo, B. Laterza, and M. Deraco, “Diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: failure analysis following cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC),” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 463–472, 2009.
- G. Sarosy, B. Leyland-Jones, P. Soochan, and B. D. Cheson, “The systemic administration of intravenous melphalan,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1768–1782, 1988.
- M. Urano and C. C. Ling, “Thermal enhancement of melphalan and oxaliplatin cytotoxicity in vitro,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 307–315, 2002.
- A. Testori, C. Verhoef, H. M. Kroon, et al., “Treatment of melanoma metastases in a limb by isolated limb perfusion and isolated limb infusion,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 397–404, 2011.
- O. Glehen, O. A. Stuart, F. Mohamed, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Hyperthermia modifies pharmacokinetics and tissue distribution of intraperitoneal melphalan in a rat model,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 79–84, 2004.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “Peritonectomy procedures,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 221, no. 1, pp. 29–42, 1995.
- A. D. Stephens, R. Alderman, D. Chang et al., “Morbidity and mortality analysis of 200 treatments with cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy using the coliseum technique,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 790–796, 1999.
- A. Norda, U. Loos, M. Sastry, J. Goehl, and W. Hohenberger, “Pharmacokinetics of melphalan in isolated limb perfusion,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 1999.
- R. L. Dedrick and M. F. Flessner, “Pharmacokinetic problems in peritoneal drug administration: tissue penetration and surface exposure,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 480–487, 1997.
- S. B. Howell, C. E. Pfeifle, and R. A. Olshen, “Intraperitoneal chemotherapy with Melphalan,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 1984.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, J. T. Mora, P. Carmignani, O. A. Stuart, and D. Yoo, “Update on chemotherapeutic agents utilized for perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy,” Oncologist, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 112–122, 2005.
- T. D. Yan, L. Zappa, G. Edwards, R. Alderman, C. E. Marquardt, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Perioperative outcomes of cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for non-Appendiceal peritoneal carcinomatosis from a prospective database,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 102–112, 2007.
- K. Van der Speeten, O. A. Stuart, D. Chang, H. Mahteme, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Changes induced by surgical and clinical factors in the pharmacology of intraperitoneal mitomycin C in 145 patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 147–156, 2011.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, K. Van der Speeten, O. Anthony Stuart, and D. Chang, “Impact of surgical and clinical factors on the pharmacology of intraperitoneal doxorubicin in 145 patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 719–726, 2011.