- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 858612, 7 pages
A Real World Report on Intravenous High-Dose and Non-High-Dose Proton-Pump Inhibitors Therapy in Patients with Endoscopically Treated High-Risk Peptic Ulcer Bleeding
Division of Hepato-Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine and Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, 123 Ta-Pei Road, Niaosung Hsiang, Kaohsiung City 833, Taiwan
Received 13 April 2012; Revised 13 May 2012; Accepted 21 May 2012
Academic Editor: Ping-I Hsu
Copyright © 2012 Lung-Sheng Lu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. L. Freeman, O. W. Cass, C. J. Peine, and G. R. Onstad, “The non-bleeding visible vessel versus the sentinel clot: natural history and risk of rebleeding,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 359–366, 1993.
- J. Y. W. Lau, J. J. Y. Sung, K. K. C. Lee et al., “Effect of intravenous omeprazole on recurrent bleeding after endoscopic treatment of bleeding peptic ulcers,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 5, pp. 310–316, 2000.
- I. M. Gralnek, A. N. Barkun, and M. Bardou, “Management of acute bleeding from a peptic ulcer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 9, pp. 928–937, 2008.
- A. N. Barkun, M. Bardou, E. J. Kuipers et al., “International consensus recommendations on the management of patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 101–113, 2010.
- M. E. van Leerdam, E. M. Vreeburg, E. A. J. Rauws et al., “Acute upper GI bleeding: did anything change? Time trend analysis of incidence and outcome of acute upper GI bleeding between 1993/1994 and 2000,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 1494–1499, 2003.
- A. N. Barkun, A. W. Cockeram, V. Plourde, and R. N. Fedorak, “Review article: acid suppression in non-variceal acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1565–1584, 1999.
- G. Brunner, P. Luna, M. Hartmann, and W. Wurst, “Optimizing the intragastric pH as a supportive therapy in upper GI bleeding,” Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 225–231, 1996.
- C. H. Wang, M. H. M. Ma, H. C. Chou et al., “High-dose vs non-high-dose proton pump inhibitors after endoscopic treatment in patients with bleeding peptic ulcer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 9, pp. 751–758, 2010.
- A. Andriulli, S. Loperfido, R. Focareta et al., “High- versus low-dose proton pump inhibitors after endoscopic hemostasis in patients with peptic ulcer bleeding: a multicentre, randomized study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 12, pp. 3011–3018, 2008.
- H. C. Cheng, A. W. Kao, C. H. Chuang, and B. S. Sheu, “The efficacy of high- and low-dose intravenous omeprazole in preventing rebleeding for patients with bleeding peptic ulcers and comorbid illnesses,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 1194–1201, 2005.
- M. L. Hu, K. L. Wu, K. W. Chiu et al., “Predictors of rebleeding after initial hemostasis with epinephrine injection in high-risk ulcers,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 43, pp. 5490–5495, 2010.
- R. Marmo, G. Rotondano, R. Piscopo, M. A. Bianco, R. D'Angella, and L. Cipolletta, “Dual therapy versus monotherapy in the endoscopic treatment of high-risk bleeding ulcers: a meta-analysis of controlled trials,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 279–289, 2007.
- T. A. Rockall, R. F. A. Logan, H. B. Devlin, and T. C. Northfield, “Risk assessment after acute upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage,” Gut, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 316–321, 1996.
- N. I. Church, H. J. Dallal, J. Masson et al., “Validity of the Rockall scoring system after endoscopic therapy for bleeding peptic ulcer: a prospective cohort study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 606–612, 2006.
- National Kidney Foundation, “K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification, and stratification,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 39, no. 2, supplement 1, pp. S1–S266, 2002.
- H. W. Xu, J. H. Wang, M. S. Tsai et al., “The effects of cefazolin on cirrhotic patients with acute variceal hemorrhage after endoscopic interventions,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 2911–2918, 2011.
- S. C. Lin, K. L. Wu, K. W. Chiu, et al., “Risk factors influencing the outcome of peptic ulcer bleeding in end stage renal diseases after initial endoscopic haemostasis,” International Journal of Clinical Practice. In press.
- S. C. Yang, K. L. Wu, J. H. Wang, et al., “The effect of systemic antibiotic prophylaxis for cirrhotic patients with peptic ulcer bleeding after endoscopic interventions,” Hepatology International. In press.
- J. M. Kang, N. Kim, D. H. Lee et al., “Effect of the CYP2C19 polymorphism on the eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori infection by 7-day triple therapy with regular proton pump inhibitor dosage,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1287–1291, 2008.
- T. Furuta, N. Shirai, M. Sugimoto, A. Nakamura, A. Hishida, and T. Ishizaki, “Influence of CYP2C19 pharmacogenetic polymorphism on proton pump inhibitor-based therapies,” Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 153–167, 2005.
- P. W. Y. Lim, K. L. Goh, and B. C. Y. Wong, “CYP2C19 genotype and the PPIs—focus on rabeprazole,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 20, no. 3, supplement, pp. S22–S28, 2005.
- J. H. Oh, M. G. Choi, M. S. Dong et al., “Low-dose intravenous pantoprazole for optimal inhibition of gastric acid in Korean patients,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1429–1434, 2007.
- L. Bertilsson, “Geographical/interracial differences in polymorphic drug oxidation. Current state of knowledge of cytochromes P450 (CYP) 2D6 and 2C19,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 192–209, 1995.
- B. S. Sheu, A. W. Kao, H. C. Cheng et al., “Esomeprazole 40 mg twice daily in triple therapy and the efficacy of Helicobacter pylori eradication related to CYP2C19 metabolism,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 283–288, 2005.
- C. Y. Wu, M. S. Wu, K. N. Kuo, C. B. Wang, Y. J. Chen, and J. T. Lin, “Long-term peptic ulcer rebleeding risk estimation in patients undergoing haemodialysis: a 10-year nationwide cohort study,” Gut, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 1038–1042, 2011.
- J. Cheung, A. Yu, J. LaBossiere, Q. Zhu, and R. N. Fedorak, “Peptic ulcer bleeding outcomes adversely affected by end-stage renal disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 44–49, 2010.
- A. B. Toke, “GI bleeding risk in patients undergoing dialysis,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 50–52, 2010.
- P. Boccardo, G. Remuzzi, and M. Galbusera, “Platelet dysfunction in renal failure,” Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 579–589, 2004.
- R. Sreedhara, I. Itagaki, B. Lynn, and R. M. Hakim, “Defective platelet aggregation in uremia is transiently worsened by hemodialysis,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 555–563, 1995.
- G. Remuzzi, M. Livio, and G. Marchiaro, “Bleeding in renal failure: altered platelet function in chronic uraemia only partially corrected by haemodialysis,” Nephron, vol. 22, no. 4–6, pp. 347–353, 1978.