- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 890450, 6 pages
Adjuvant Bidirectional Chemotherapy with Intraperitoneal Pemetrexed Combined with Intravenous Cisplatin for Diffuse Malignant Peritoneal Mesothelioma
1Department of Surgery, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street, Washington, DC 20010, USA
2Medstar Health Research Institute, Washington, DC, USA
Received 13 April 2012; Accepted 22 June 2012
Academic Editor: Yutaka Yonemura
Copyright © 2012 Lana Bijelic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. I. Z. Acherman, L. S. Welch, C. M. Bromley, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Clinical presentation of peritoneal mesothelioma,” Tumori, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 269–273, 2003.
- K. H. Antman, R. H. Blum, and J. S. Greenberger, “Multimodality therapy for malignant mesothelioma based on a study of natural history,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 356–362, 1980.
- A. M. Averbach and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Peritoneal mesothelioma: treatment approach based on natural history,” Cancer Treatment and Research, vol. 81, pp. 193–211, 1996.
- E. Chailleux, G. Dabouis, D. Pioche et al., “Prognostic factors in diffuse malignant pleural mesothelioma. A study of 167 patients,” Chest, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 159–162, 1988.
- K. Antman, R. Shemin, L. Ryan et al., “Malignant mesothelioma: prognostic variables in a registry of 180 patients, the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women's Hospital experience over two decades, 1965–1985,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 147–153, 1988.
- K. S. Sridhar, R. Doria, W. A. Raub Jr., R. J. Thurer, and M. Saldana, “New strategies are needed in diffuse malignant mesothelioma,” Cancer, vol. 70, no. 12, pp. 2969–2979, 1992.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, L. S. Welch, F. Mohamed, and O. Glehen, “A review of peritoneal mesothelioma at the Washington Cancer Institute,” Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 605–621, 2003.
- T. D. Yan, E. A. Brun, A. Carlos, N. Haveric, D. Chang, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Prognostic indicators for patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2007.
- A. L. Feldman, S. K. Libutti, J. F. Pingpank et al., “Analysis of factors associated with outcome in patients with malignant peritoneal mesothelioma undergoing surgical debulking and intraperitoneal chemotherapy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 24, pp. 4560–4567, 2003.
- D. Nonaka, S. Kusamura, D. Baratti et al., “Diffuse malignant mesothelioma of the peritoneum: a clinicopathologic study of 35 patients treated locoregionally at a single institution,” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 10, pp. 2181–2188, 2005.
- B. W. Loggie, R. A. Fleming, R. P. McQuellon, G. B. Russell, K. R. Geisinger, and E. A. Levine, “Prospective trial for the treatment of malignant peritoneal mesothelioma,” American Surgeon, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 999–1003, 2001.
- C. Brigand, O. Monneuse, F. Mohamed et al., “Peritoneal mesothelioma treated by cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemotherapy: results of a prospective study,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 405–412, 2006.
- D. Baratti, S. Kusamura, A. D. Cabras, P. Dileo, B. Laterza, and M. Deraco, “Diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: failure analysis following cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC),” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 463–472, 2009.
- N. J. Vogelzang, J. J. Rusthoven, J. Symanowski et al., “Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 2636–2644, 2003.
- P. A. Jänne, A. J. Wozniak, C. P. Belani et al., “Open-label study of pemetrexed alone or in combination with cisplatin for the treatment of patients with peritoneal mesothelioma: outcomes of an expanded access program,” Clinical Lung Cancer, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2005.
- B. Nuernberg, M. Kohlbrenner, R. Faulkner, and D. Furst, “Rapid quantitation of methotrexate and its metabolites in human serum, urine and bile, using solid-phase extraction and high-performance liquid chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography, vol. 487, no. 2, pp. 476–482, 1989.
- T. D. Yan, E. A. Brun, C. A. Cerruto, N. Haveric, D. Chang, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Prognostic indicators for patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2007.
- T. C. Chua, T. D. Yan, and D. L. Morris, “Peritoneal mesothelioma: current understanding and management,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 2009.
- R. Hassan, R. Alexander, K. Antman et al., “Current treatment options and biology of peritoneal mesothelioma: Meeting summary of the first NIH peritoneal mesothelioma conference,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1615–1619, 2006.
- T. D. Yan, M. Deraco, D. Baratti et al., “Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: multi-institutional experience,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 36, pp. 6237–6242, 2009.
- R. M. Schultz, V. J. Chen, J. R. Bewley, E. F. Roberts, C. Shih, and J. A. Dempsey, “Biological activity of the multitargeted antifolate, MTA (LY231514), in human cell lines with different resistance mechanisms to antifolate drugs,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 68–73, 1999.
- L. G. Mendelsohn, C. Shih, V. J. Chen, L. L. Habeck, S. B. Gates, and K. A. Shackelford, “Enzyme inhibition, polyglutamation, and the effect of LY231514 (MTA) on purine biosynthesis,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 26, supplement 6, no. 2, pp. 42–47, 1999.
- R. L. Dedrick, C. E. Myers, P. M. Bungay, and V. T. Devita, “Pharmacokinetic rationale for peritoneal drug administration in the treatment of ovarian cancer,” Cancer Treatment Reports, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1978.
- S. R. Pestieau, O. A. Stuart, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Multi-targeted antifolate (MTA): pharmacokinetics of intraperitoneal administration in a rat model,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 696–700, 2000.
- D. K. Armstrong, B. Bundy, L. Wenzel et al., “Intraperitoneal cisplatin and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 1, pp. 34–43, 2006.
- J. L. Walker, D. K. Armstrong, H. Q. Huang et al., “Intraperitoneal catheter outcomes in a phase III trial of intravenous versus intraperitoneal chemotherapy in optimal stage III ovarian and primary peritoneal cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 2006.
- R. H. Sugarbaker, F. J. Gianola, and J. C. Speyer, “Prospective, randomized trial of intravenous versus intraperitoneal 5-fluorouracil in patients with advanced primary colon or rectal cancer,” Surgery, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 414–422, 1985.