- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 898276, 5 pages
Comparing Multiplex PCR and Rapid Urease Test in the Detection of H. pylori in Patients on Proton Pump Inhibitors
1College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1853 West Polk Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
2TZAM Diagnostics LLC, 1824 Wilmette Avenue, Wilmette, IL 60091, USA
3Department of Medicine, Loyola University Hospital, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
4Department of Gastroenterology, NorthShore University Health System, University of Chicago, Glenview, IL 60026, USA
Received 8 July 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editor: Vikram Kate
Copyright © 2012 Thomas Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. L. Cover and M. J. Blaser, “Helicobacter pylori in health and disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 136, no. 6, pp. 1863–1873, 2009.
- S. Suerbaum and P. Michetti, “Helicobacter pylori infection,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 15, pp. 1175–1186, 2002.
- V. Zsikla, S. Hailemariam, M. Baumann et al., “Increased rate of Helicobacter pylori infection detected by PCR in biopsies with chronic gastritis,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 242–248, 2006.
- M. F. Go, “Review article: natural history and epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Supplement, vol. 16, supplement 1, pp. 3–15, 2002.
- B. J. Marshall, L. J. Barrett, C. Prakash, R. W. McCallum, and R. L. Guerrant, “Urea protects Helicobacter (Campylobacter) pylori from the bactericidal effect of acid,” Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 697–702, 1990.
- Q. He, J. P. Wang, M. Osato, and L. B. Lachman, “Real-time quantitative PCR for detection of Helicobacter pylori,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 3720–3728, 2002.
- W. Dickey, B. D. Kenny, and J. B. McConnell, “Effect of proton pump inhibitors on the detection of Helicobacter pylori in gastric biopsies,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 289–293, 1996.
- H. Shirin, D. Frenkel, O. Shevah et al., “Effect of proton pump inhibitors on the continuous real time 13C-urea breath test,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 46–50, 2003.
- P. Malfertheiner, F. Megraud, C. O'Morain et al., “Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the maastricht III consensus report,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 772–781, 2007.
- IMS Health, “2009 US sales and prescription information,” 2010http://www.imshealth.com.
- J. Yakoob, W. Jafri, Z. Abbas, S. Abid, M. Islam, and Z. Ahmed, “The diagnostic yield of various tests for Helicobacter pylori infection in patients on acid-reducing drugs,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 95–100, 2008.
- J. Yakoob, W. Jafri, S. Abid et al., “Role of rapid urease test and histopathology in the diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection in a developing country,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 5, article 38, 2005.
- J. Weiss, T. K. Tsang, X. Meng et al., “Detection of Helicobacter pylori gastritis by PCR : correlation with inflammation scores and immunohistochemical and CLOtest findings,” The American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 89–96, 2008.
- X. Meng, H. Zhang, T. Tsang, et al., “Detection of Helicobacter pylori by a novel multiplex PCR assay,” Gastroenterology, vol. 124, no. 175, 2003.
- X. W. Meng, H. J. Zhang, and T. K. Tsang, “Comparison of a novel multiplex PCR and histology method for the diagnosis of H. pylori,” Gastroenterology, vol. 126, no. 4.
- X. Meng, H. Zhang, J. Law, R. Tsang, and T. Tsang, “Detection of Helicobacter pylori from food sources by a novel multiplex PCR assay,” Journal of Food Safety, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 609–619, 2008.
- L. P. Andersen, A. Dorland, H. Karacan et al., “Possible clinical importance of the transformation of Helicobacter pylori into coccoid forms,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 897–903, 2000.
- L. P. Andersen and L. Rasmussen, “Helicobacter pylori-coccoid forms and biofilm formation,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 112–115, 2009.
- F. Can, C. Karahan, I. Dolapci, M. Demirbilek, A. Tekeli, and H. Arslan, “Urease activity and urea gene sequencing of coccoid forms of H. pylori induced by different factors,” Current Microbiology, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 150–155, 2008.
- M. Sugimoto, J. Y. Wu, S. Abudayyeh et al., “Unreliability of results of PCR detection of Helicobacter pylori in clinical or environmental samples,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 738–742, 2009.