- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 916428, 7 pages
The Role of Portal Vein Thrombosis in the Clinical Course of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases: Report on Three Cases and Review of the Literature
1Division of Internal Medicine, DIBIMIS, Ospedali Riuniti Villa Sofia-Vincenzo Cervello, Via Trabucco 180, 90100 Palermo, Italy
2Division of Radiology, Ospedali Riuniti Villa Sofia-Vincenzo Cervello, Via Trabucco 180, 90100 Palermo, Italy
Received 4 July 2012; Accepted 1 September 2012
Academic Editor: Paolo Gionchetti
Copyright © 2012 Emanuele Sinagra et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. M. Jackson, P. J. O'Gorman, J. O'Connell, C. C. Cronin, K. P. Cotter, and F. Shanahan, “Thrombosis in inflammatory bowel disease: clinical setting, procoagulant profile and Factor V Leiden,” Monthly Journal of the Association of Physicians, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 183–188, 1997.
- U. Navaneethan and B. Shen, “Hepatopancreatobiliary manifestations and complications associated with inflammatory bowel disease,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1598–1619, 2010.
- M. J. Grainge, J. West, and T. R. Card, “Venous thromboembolism during active disease and remission in inflammatory bowel disease: a cohort study,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9715, pp. 657–663, 2010.
- C. N. Bernstein, J. F. Blanchard, D. S. Houston, and A. Wajda, “The incidence of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism among patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a population-based cohort study,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 430–434, 2001.
- G. C. Nguyen and J. Sam, “Rising prevalence of venous thromboembolism and its impact on mortality among hospitalized inflammatory bowel disease patients,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 9, pp. 2272–2280, 2008.
- R. Srirajaskanthan, M. Winter, and A. F. Muller, “Venous thrombosis in inflammatory bowel disease,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 697–700, 2005.
- R. W. Talbot, J. Heppell, R. R. Dozois, and R. W. Beart, “Vascular complications of inflammatory bowel disease,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 140–145, 1986.
- D. H. Bruining, H. A. Siddiki, J. G. Fletcher, W. J. Tremaine, W. J. Sandborn, and E. V. Loftus Jr., “Prevalence of penetrating disease and extraintestinal manifestations of Crohn's disease detected with CT enterography,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1701–1706, 2008.
- C. S. Jackson, J. Fryer, S. Danese, A. Vanagunas, S. Polensky, and A. L. Buchman, “Mesenteric vascular thromboembolism in inflammatory bowel disease: a single center experience,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 97–100, 2011.
- G. Maconi, E. Bolzacchini, A. Dell’Era, et al., “Portal vein thrombosis in inflammatory bowel diseases: a single-center case series,” Journal of Crohn's and Colitis, vol. 6, pp. 362–367, 2012.
- A. Fichera, L. A. Cicchiello, D. S. Mendelson, A. J. Greenstein, and T. M. Heimann, “Superior mesenteric vein thrombosis after colectomy for inflammatory bowel disease: a not uncommon cause of postoperative acute abdominal pain,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 643–648, 2003.
- M. E. Baker, F. Remzi, D. Einstein et al., “CT depiction of portal vein thrombi after creation of ileal pouch-anal anastomosis,” Radiology, vol. 227, no. 1, pp. 73–79, 2003.
- F. H. Remzi, V. W. Fazio, M. Oncel et al., “Portal vein thrombi after restorative proctocolectomy,” Surgery, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 655–662, 2002.
- C. G. Ball, A. R. MacLean, W. D. Buie, D. F. Smith, and E. L. Raber, “Portal vein thrombi after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis: its incidence and association with pouchitis,” Surgery Today, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 552–557, 2007.
- W. Miehsler, W. Reinisch, E. Valic et al., “Is inflammatory bowel disease an independent and disease specific risk factor for thromboembolism?” Gut, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 542–548, 2004.
- A. L. S. Román and F. Muñoz, “Comorbidity in inflammatory bowel disease,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 22, pp. 2723–2733, 2011.
- S. Danese, A. Papa, S. Saibeni, A. Repici, A. Malesci, and M. Vecchi, “Inflammation and coagulation in inflammatory bowel disease: the clot thickens—CME,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 174–186, 2007.
- I. E. Koutroubakis, “Therapy insight: vascular complications in patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” Nature Clinical Practice Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 266–272, 2005.
- C. A. Solem, E. V. Loftus Jr., W. J. Tremaine, and W. J. Sandborn, “Venous thromboembolism in inflammatory bowel disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 97–101, 2004.
- A. P. Liappis, A. D. Roberts, A. M. Schwartz, and G. L. Simon, “Thrombosis and infection: a case of transient anti-cardiolipin antibody associated with pylephlebitis,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 325, no. 6, pp. 365–368, 2003.
- C. E. Collins, D. S. Rampton, J. Rogers, and N. S. Williams, “Platelet aggregation and neutrophil sequestration in the mesenteric circulation in inflammatory bowel disease,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1213–1217, 1997.
- S. Danese, J. A. A Katz, S. Saibeni et al., “Activated platelets are the source of elevated levels of soluble CD40 ligand in the circulation of inflammatory bowel disease patients,” Gut, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 1435–1441, 2003.
- Z. Liu, S. Colpaert, G. R. D'Haens et al., “Hyperexpression of CD40 ligand (CD154) in inflammatory bowel disease and its contribution to pathogenic cytokine production,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 163, no. 7, pp. 4049–4057, 1999.
- E. Battaglia, L. Biancone, A. Resegotti, G. Emanuelli, G. Ruggero Fronda, and G. Camussi, “Expression of CD40 and its ligand, CD40L, in intestinal lesions of Crohn's disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 3279–3284, 1999.
- J. D. Vogel, G. A. West, S. Danese et al., “CD40-mediated immune-nonimmune cell interactions induce mucosal fibroblast chemokines leading to T-cell transmigration,” Gastroenterology, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 63–80, 2004.
- S. Danese, C. De la Motte, A. Sturm et al., “Platelets trigger a CD40-dependent inflammatory response in the microvasculature of inflammatory bowel disease patients,” Gastroenterology, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 1249–1264, 2003.
- J. P. Capron, A. Remond, and D. Lebrec, “Gastrointestinal bleeding due to chronic portal vein thrombosis in ulcerative colitis,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 232–235, 1979.
- S. Yada, K. Hizawa, K. Aoyagi et al., “Portal hypertensive gastropathy due to chronic portal vein occlusion in Crohn's disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 93, no. 8, pp. 1376–1377, 1998.
- J. Palkovits, M. Häfner, T. Rand et al., “Portal vein thrombosis in ulcerative colitis complicated by bleeding from gastric varices,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 365–366, 2007.
- L. Amitrano, M. A. Guardascione, V. Brancaccio et al., “Risk factors and clinical presentation of portal vein thrombosis in patients with liver cirrhosis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 736–741, 2004.
- H. L. A. Janssen, A. Wijnhoud, E. B. Haagsma et al., “Extrahepatic portal vein thrombosis: aetiology and determinants of survival,” Gut, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 720–724, 2001.
- M. Ögren, D. Bergqvist, M. Björck, S. Acosta, H. Eriksson, and N. H. Sternby, “Portal vein thrombosis: prevalence, patient characteristics and lifetime risk: a population study based on 23796 consecutive autopsies,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 13, pp. 2115–2119, 2006.
- S. S. M. Ng, R. Y. C. Yiu, J. F. Y. Lee, J. C. M. Li, and K. L. Leung, “Portal venous gas and thrombosis in a Chinese patient with fulminant Crohn's colitis: a case report with literature review,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 34, pp. 5582–5586, 2006.
- S. Alqahtani, C. S. Coffin, K. Burak, F. Chen, J. MacGregor, and P. Beck, “Hepatic portal venous gas: a report of two cases and a review of the epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and approach to management,” Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 309–313, 2007.
- W. J. Salyers and A. Mansour, “Portal venous gas following colonoscopy and small bowel follow-through in a patient with Crohn's disease,” Endoscopy, vol. 39, article E130, 2007.
- H. Kinoshita, M. Shinozaki, H. Tanimura et al., “Clinical features and management of hepatic portal venous gas: four case reports and cumulative review of the literature,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 136, no. 12, pp. 1410–1414, 2001.
- S. Kluge, K. E. Hahn, C. H. Lund, A. Gocht, and G. Kreymann, “Pylephlebitis (septic thrombophlebitis of the portal vein) with portal venous gas: an unusual focus of infection in a patient with septic shock,” Deutsche Medizinische Wochenschrift, vol. 128, no. 25-26, pp. 1391–1394, 2003.
- N. Chande, J. K. MacDonald, J. J. Wang, et al., “Unfractionated or low molecular weight heparin for induction of remission in ulcerative colitis: a Cochrane inflammatory bowel disease and functional bowel disorders systematic review of randomized trials,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1979–1986, 2011.
- R. L. Vogelzang, R. M. Gore, S. L. Anschuetz, and A. T. Blei, “Thrombosis of the splanchnic veins: CT diagnosis,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 93–96, 1988.
- S. Kumar, M. G. Sarr, and P. S. Kamath, “Mesenteric venous thrombosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 23, pp. 1683–1688, 2001.
- E. V. Loftus Jr., “Management of extraintestinal manifestations and other complications of inflammatory bowel disease,” Current Gastroenterology Reports, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 506–513, 2004.
- P. Zezos, G. Papaioannou, N. Nikolaidis et al., “Low-molecular-weight heparin (enoxaparin) as adjuvant therapy in the treatment of active ulcerative colitis: a randomized, controlled, comparative study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1443–1453, 2006.
- S. M. Rivitz, S. C. Geller, C. Hahn, and A. C. Waltman, “Treatment of acute mesenteric venous thrombosis with transjugular intramesenteric urokinase infusion,” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 219–228, 1995.
- E. A. Henao, W. T. Bohannon, and M. B. Silva Jr., “Treatment of portal venous thrombosis with selective superior mesenteric artery infusion of recombinant tissue plasminogen activator,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1411–1415, 2003.
- M. R. Poplausky, J. A. Kaufman, S. C. Geller, and A. C. Waltman, “Mesenteric venous thrombosis treated with urokinase via the superior mesenteric artery,” Gastroenterology, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 1633–1635, 1996.
- K. P. Koenigs, P. McPhedran, and H. M. Spiro, “Thrombosis in inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 627–631, 1987.
- A. Tateishi, H. Mitsui, T. Oki et al., “Extensive mesenteric vein and portal vein thrombosis successfully treated by thrombolysis and anticoagulation,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1429–1433, 2001.
- A. Lefèvre, P. Soyer, K. Vahedi et al., “Multiple intra-abdominal venous thrombosis in ulcerative colitis: role of MDCT for detection,” Clinical Imaging, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 68–72, 2011.
- G. S. Latzman, A. Kornbluth, S. J. Murphy et al., “Use of an intravascular thrombectomy device to treat life-threatening venous thrombosis in a patient with Crohn's disease and G20210A prothrombin gene mutation,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 505–508, 2007.
- T. Hagimoto, M. Seo, M. Okada et al., “Portal vein thrombosis successfully treated with a colectomy in active ulcerative colitis: report of a case,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 587–590, 2001.
- C. Schäfer, J. Zundler, and J. C. Bode, “Thrombolytic therapy in patients with portal vein thrombosis: case report and review of the literature,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1141–1145, 2000.