- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 935721, 6 pages
Celiac Artery Compression Syndrome: An Experience in a Single Institution in Taiwan
1School of Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
2Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, 2 Yude Road, North District, Taichung 40447, Taiwan
3Department of Radiology, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 40447, Taiwan
Received 12 April 2012; Revised 29 July 2012; Accepted 29 July 2012
Academic Editor: Charles Melbern Wilcox
Copyright © 2012 Jen-Wei Chou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. T. HARJOLA, “A rare obstruction of the coeliac artery. Report of a case,” Annales Chirurgiae et Gynaecologiae Fenniae, vol. 52, pp. 547–550, 1963.
- J. D. Dunbar, W. Molnar, F. F. Beman, and S. A. Marable, “Compression of the celiac trunk and abdominal angina,” The American Journal of Roentgenology, Radium Therapy, and Nuclear Medicine, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 731–744, 1965.
- J. P. Martinez and G. J. Hogan, “Mesenteric ischemia,” Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 909–928, 2004.
- M. Loukas, J. Pinyard, S. Vaid, C. Kinsella, A. Tariq, and R. S. Tubbs, “Clinical anatomy of celiac artery compression syndrome: a review,” Clinical Anatomy, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 612–617, 2007.
- F. R. Bech, “Celiac artery compression syndromes,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 409–424, 1997.
- S. R. Reuter and T. Olin, “Stenosis of the celiac artery,” Radiology, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 616–627, 1965.
- Y. C. Tseng, C. K. Tseng, J. W. Chou et al., “A rare cause of mesenteric ischemia: celiac axis compression syndrome,” Internal Medicine, vol. 46, no. 15, pp. 1187–1190, 2007.
- C. K. Tseng, W. B. Su, H. C. Lai et al., “Superior mesenteric artery syndrome caused by celiac axis compression syndrome: a case report and review of the literature,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 578–582, 2008.
- C. Rokitansky, Handbuch der Pathologischen Anatomie, Branmiller and Seidel, Vienna, Austria, 1842.
- G. A. Agrawal, P. T. Johnson, and E. K. Fishman, “Multidetector row CT of superior mesenteric artery syndrome,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 62–65, 2007.
- J. R. Derrick, H. S. Pollard, and R. M. Moore, “The pattern of arterioscleroticnarrowing of the celiac and superior mesenteric arteries,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 149, no. 5, pp. 684–689, 1959.
- K. M. Bron and H. C. Redman, “Splanchnic artery stenosis and occlusion. Incidence; arteriographic and clinical manifestations,” Radiology, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 323–328, 1969.
- D. C. Levin and H. A. Baltaxe, “High incidence of celiac axis narrowing in asymptomatic individuals,” The American Journal of Roentgenology, Radium Therapy, and Nuclear Medicine, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 426–429, 1972.
- O. Ikeda, Y. Tamura, Y. Nakasone, and Y. Yamashita, “Celiac artery stenosis/occlusion treated by interventional radiology,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 369–377, 2009.
- M. Trinidad-Hernandez, P. Keith, I. Habib, and J. V. White, “Reversible gastroparesis: functional documentation of celiac axis compression syndrome and postoperative improvement,” American Surgeon, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 339–344, 2006.
- C. S. Cinà and H. Safar, “Successful treatment of recurrent celiac axis compression syndrome: a case report,” Panminerva Medica, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 69–72, 2002.
- C. P. Desmond and S. K. Roberts, “Exercise-related abdominal pain as a manifestation of the median arcuate ligament syndrome,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 1310–1313, 2004.
- M. Sianesi, P. Soliani, M. F. Arcuri, L. Bezer, G. Iapichino, and P. D. Rio, “Dunbar's syndrome and superior mesenteric artery's syndrome: a rare association,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 302–305, 2007.
- W. C. Watson and F. Sadikali, “Celiac axis compression. Experience with 20 patients and a critical appraisal of the syndrome,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 278–284, 1977.
- T. Scholbach, “Celiac artery compression syndrome in children, adolescents, and young adults: clinical and color duplex sonographic features in a series of 59 cases,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 299–305, 2006.
- K. M. Horton, M. A. Talamini, and E. K. Fishman, “Median arcuate ligament syndrome: evaluation with CT angiography,” Radiographics, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1177–1182, 2005.
- A. T. Ilica, M. Kocaoglu, A. Bilici et al., “Median arcuate ligament syndrome: multidetector computed tomography findings,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 728–731, 2007.
- S. Friedland, D. Benaron, S. Coogan, D. Y. Sze, and R. Soetikno, “Diagnosis of chronic mesenteric ischemia by visible light spectroscopy during endoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 294–300, 2007.
- P. B. Ghosn, A. G. Rabat, J. Trudel, et al., “Celiac compression syndrome,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 377–379, 1982.
- L. M. Reilly, A. D. Ammar, R. J. Stoney, and W. K. Ehrenfeld, “Late results following operative repair for celiac artery compression syndrome,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 79–91, 1985.
- D. Grotemeyer, M. Duran, F. Iskandar, D. Blondin, K. Nguyen, and W. Sandmann, “Median arcuate ligament syndrome: vascular surgical therapy and follow-up of 18 patients,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 394, no. 6, pp. 1085–1092, 2009.
- S. Roayaie, G. Jossart, D. Gitlitz, P. Lamparello, L. Hollier, and M. Gagner, “Laparoscopic release of celiac artery compression syndrome facilitated by laparoscopic ultrasound scanning to confirm restoration of flow,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 814–817, 2000.
- P. Baccari, E. Civilini, L. Dordoni, G. Melissano, R. Nicoletti, and R. Chiesa, “Celiac artery compression syndrome managed by laparoscopy,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 134–139, 2009.
- A. S. van Petersen, B. H. Vriens, A. B. Huisman, J. J. Kolkman, and R. H. Geelkerken, “Retroperitoneal endoscopic release in the management of celiac artery compression syndrome,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 140–147, 2009.
- A. W. Tulloch, J. C. Jimenez, P. F. Lawrence et al., “Laparoscopic versus open celiac ganglionectomy in patients with median arcuate ligament syndrome,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1283–1289, 2010.
- J. Furrer, A. Gruntzig, J. Kugelmeier, and N. Goebel, “Treatment of abdominal angina with percutaneous dilatation of an arteria mesenterica superior stenosis. Preliminary communication,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 43–44, 1980.
- U. Nyman, K. Ivancev, M. Lindh, and P. Uher, “Endovascular treatment of chronic mesenteric ischemia: report of five cases,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 305–313, 1998.
- K. T. Delis, P. Gloviczki, M. Altuwaijri, and M. A. McKusick, “Median arcuate ligament syndrome: open celiac artery reconstruction and ligament division after endovascular failure,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 799–802, 2007.
- W. E. Evans, “Long term evaluation of the celiac band syndrome,” Surgery, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 867–871, 1974.