- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 941954, 5 pages
Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Expression in Esophageal Adenocarcinoma: Relationship with Tumor Stage and Survival after Esophagectomy
1Programa de Pós-Graduação em Ciências Cirúrgicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), 90035003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
2Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Passo Fundo, 99010080 Passo Fundo, RS, Brazil
3Serviço de Cirurgia Digestiva, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre, 90035003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
4Programa de Pós-Graduação: Ciências em Gastroenterologia e Hepatologia, Faculdade de Medicina, UFRGS, 90035003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Received 29 March 2012; Accepted 10 May 2012
Academic Editor: Jin-Lian Chen
Copyright © 2012 Daniel Navarini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Bollschweiler, E. Wolfgarten, C. Gutschow, and A. H. Holscher, “Demographic variations in the rising incidence of esophageal adenocarcinoma in white males,” Cancer, vol. 92, pp. 549–555, 2001.
- A. A. M. Botterweck, L. J. Schouten, A. Volovics, E. Dorant, and P. A. Van Den Brandt, “Trends in incidence of adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus and gastric cardia in ten European countries,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 645–654, 2000.
- H. B. El-Serag, “The epidemic of esophageal adenocarcinoma,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 421–440, 2002.
- A. Kubo and D. A. Corley, “Marked regional variation in adenocarcinomas of the esophagus and the gastric cardia in the United States,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 2096–2102, 2002.
- S. M. Lagarde, F. J. W. Ten Kate, D. J. Richel, G. J. A. Offerhaus, and J. J. B. Van Lanschot, “Molecular prognostic factors in adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastroesophageal junction,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 977–991, 2007.
- P. C. Wu and M. C. Posner, “The role of surgery in the management of oesophageal cancer,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 481–488, 2003.
- R. Gertler, H. J. Stein, R. Langer et al., “Long-term outcome of 2920 patients with cancers of the esophagus and esophagogastric junction: evaluation of the new union internationale contre le cancer/American joint cancer committee staging system,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 253, no. 4, pp. 689–698, 2011.
- M. Solaymani-Dodaran, R. F. A. Logan, J. West, T. Card, and C. Coupland, “Risk of oesophageal cancer in Barrett's oesophagus and gastro-oesophageal reflux,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1070–1074, 2004.
- F. Yousef, C. Cardwell, M. M. Cantwell, K. Galway, B. T. Johnston, and L. Murray, “The incidence of esophageal cancer and high-grade dysplasia in Barrett's esophagus: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 168, no. 3, pp. 237–249, 2008.
- R. E. Rudolph, T. L. Vaughan, B. E. Storer et al., “Effect of segment length on risk for neoplastic progression in patients with Barrett esophagus,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 132, no. 8, pp. 612–620, 2000.
- L. M. Brown, C. A. Swanson, G. Gridley et al., “Adenocarcinoma of the esophagus: role of obesity and diet,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 104–109, 1995.
- M. D. Gammon, J. B. Schoenberg, H. Ahsan et al., “Tobacco, alcohol, and socioeconomic status and adenocarcinomas of the esophagus and gastric cardia,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 89, no. 17, pp. 1277–1284, 1997.
- J. Lagergren, R. Bergström, and O. Nyrén, “Association between body mass and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastric cardia,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 130, no. 11, pp. 883–890, 1999.
- S. B. Edge and C. C. Compton, “The american joint committee on cancer: the 7th edition of the AJCC cancer staging manual and the future of TNM,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1471–1474, 2010.
- S. R. DeMeester, “Adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and cardia: a review of the disease and its treatment,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 12–30, 2006.
- A. P. Ireland, D. K. Shibata, P. Chandrasoma, R. V. N. Lord, J. H. Peters, and T. R. DeMeester, “Clinical significance of p53 mutations in adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and cardia,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 179–187, 2000.
- L. Gibault, J. P. Metges, V. Conan-Charlet et al., “Diffuse EGFR staining is associated with reduced overall survival in locally advanced oesophageal squamous cell cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 107–115, 2005.
- K. L. Wang, T. T. Wu, I. S. Choi et al., “Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor in esophageal and esophagogastric junction adenocarcinomas: association with poor outcome,” Cancer, vol. 109, pp. 658–667, 2007.
- N. W. Wilkinson, J. D. Black, E. Roukhadze et al., “Epidermal growth factor receptor expression correlates with histologic grade in resected esophageal adenocarcinoma,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 448–453, 2004.
- R. Langer, B. H. A. Von Rahden, J. Nahrig et al., “Prognostic significance of expression patterns of c-erbB-2, p53, p16 INK4A, p27KIP1, cyclin D1 and epidermal growth factor receptor in oesophageal adenocarcinoma: a tissue microarray study,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 631–634, 2006.
- M. B. Orringer, B. Marshall, and M. D. Iannettoni, “Transhiatal esophagectomy: clinical experience and refinements,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 230, no. 3, pp. 392–403, 1999.
- M. B. Orringer and H. Sloan, “Esophagectomy without thoracotomy,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 643–654, 1978.
- M. Hidalgo, L. L. Siu, J. Nemunaitis et al., “Phase I and pharmacologic study of OSI-774, an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with advanced solid malignancies,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 3267–3279, 2001.
- M. Pera, C. Manterola, O. Vidal, and L. Grande, “Epidemiology of esophageal adenocarcinoma,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 151–159, 2005.
- M. Al-Kasspooles, J. H. Moore, M. B. Orringer, and D. G. Beer, “Amplification and over-expression of the EGFR and erbB-2 genes in human esophageal adenocarcinomas,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 213–219, 1993.
- L. Yacoub, H. Goldman, and R. D. Odze, “Transforming growth factor-α, epidermal growth factor receptor, and MiB-1 expression in Barrett's-associated neoplasia: correlation with prognosis,” Modern Pathology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 1997.
- E. L. Bedard, R. I. Inculet, R. A. Malthaner, E. Brecevic, M. Vincent, and R. Dar, “The role of surgery and postoperative chemoradiation therapy in patients with lymph node positive esophageal carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 91, pp. 2423–2430, 2001.
- T. W. Rice, D. J. Adelstein, M. A. Chidel et al., “Benefit of postoperative adjuvant chemoradiotherapy in locoregionally advanced esophageal carcinoma,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 1590–1596, 2003.
- M. K. Gibson, S. C. Abraham, T. T. Wu et al., “Epidermal growth factor receptor, p53 mutation, and pathological response predict survival in patients with locally advanced esophageal cancer treated with preoperative chemoradiotherapy,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 17, pp. 6461–6468, 2003.
- D. N. Poller, R. J. C. Steele, and K. Morrell, “Epidermal growth factor receptor expression in Barrett's esophagus,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 116, no. 11, pp. 1226–1227, 1992.
- J. Baselga, “Why the epidermal growth factor receptor? The rationale for cancer therapy,” Oncologist, vol. 7, supplement 4, pp. 2–8, 2002.
- K. L. Tedesco, A. C. Lockhart, and J. D. Berlin, “The epidermal growth factor receptor as a target for gastrointestinal cancer therapy,” Current Treatment Options in Oncology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 393–403, 2004.
- Z. Zhu, “Targeted cancer therapies based on antibodies directed against epidermal growth factor receptor: status and perspectives,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1476–1493, 2007.
- C. L. Arteaga, “Epidermal growth factor receptor dependence in human tumors: more than just expression?” Oncologist, vol. 7, supplement 4, pp. 31–39, 2002.