- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 956434, 6 pages
Management of Peptic Ulcer Bleeding in Different Case Volume Workplaces: Results of a Nationwide Inquiry in Hungary
1Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Petz Aladár County and Teaching Hospital, Győr 9024, Hungary
2Department of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, Debrecen University, Debrecen 4032, Hungary
3Department of Internal Medicine, Jósa András County Hospital, Nyíregyháza 4400, Hungary
4Department of Internal Medicine, Municipal Hospital, Siófok 8600, Hungary
5Department of Surgery, Semmelweis University, Budapest 1083, Hungary
6Department of Internal Medicine, Jávorszky Ödön Municipal Hospital, Vác 2600, Hungary
7Department of Internal Medicine, Kenézy Gyula County Hospital, Debrecen 4031, Hungary
Received 6 June 2012; Revised 30 July 2012; Accepted 30 July 2012
Academic Editor: Charles Melbern Wilcox
Copyright © 2012 István Rácz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. E. Targownik and A. Nabalamba, “Trends in management and outcomes of acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding: 1993–2003,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 1459–1466.e1, 2006.
- A. Barkun, S. Sabbah, R. Enns et al., “The Canadian Registry on Nonvariceal Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding and Endoscopy (RUGBE): endoscopic hemostasis and proton pump inhibition are associated with improved outcomes in a real-life setting,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 1238–1246, 2004.
- M. E. van Leerdam, “Epidemiology of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 209–224, 2008.
- J. Sung, “Current management of peptic ulcer bleeding,” Nature Clinical Practice Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 2006.
- A. Barkun, M. Bardou, and J. K. Marshall, “Consensus recommendations for managing patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 139, no. 10, pp. 843–857, 2003.
- M. E. Van Leerdam, E. M. Vreeburg, E. A. J. Rauws et al., “Acute upper GI bleeding: did anything change? Time trend analysis of incidence and outcome of acute upper GI bleeding between 1993/1994 and 2000,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 1494–1499, 2003.
- S. A. Hearnshaw, R. F. A. Logan, D. Lowe, S. P. L. Travis, M. F. Murphy, and K. R. Palmer, “Use of endoscopy for management of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in the UK: results of a nationwide audit,” Gut, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1022–1029, 2010.
- S. A. Hearnshaw, R. F. A. Logan, D. Lowe, S. P. L. Travis, M. F. Murphy, and K. R. Palmer, “Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in the UK: patient characteristics, diagnoses and outcomes in the 2007 UK audit,” Gut, vol. 60, pp. 1327–1335, 2011.
- J. Y. W. Lau, J. J. Y. Sung, K. K. C. Lee et al., “Effect of intravenous omeprazole on recurrent bleeding after endoscopic treatment of bleeding peptic ulcers,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 5, pp. 310–316, 2000.
- C. C. Lo, P. I. Hsu, G. H. Lo et al., “Comparison of hemostatic efficacy for epinephrine injection alone and injection combined with hemoclip therapy in treating high-risk bleeding ulcers,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 767–773, 2006.
- J. J. Y. Sung, K. K. F. Tsoi, L. H. Lai, J. C. Y. Wu, and J. Y. W. Lau, “Endoscopic clipping versus injection and thermo-coagulation in the treatment of non-variceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding: a meta-analysis,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 1364–1372, 2007.
- C. Van Rensburg, A. N. Barkun, I. Racz et al., “Clinical trial: intravenous pantoprazole vs. ranitidine for the prevention of peptic ulcer rebleeding: a multicentre, multinational, randomized trial,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 497–507, 2009.
- J. J. Y. Sung, A. Barkun, E. J. Kuipers et al., “Intravenous esomeprazole for prevention of recurrent pepetic ulcer bleeding,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 150, no. 7, pp. 455–464, 2009.
- I. Rácz, “Diagnostics and therapy of acute bleedings from gastroduodenal ulcers; Prophylaxis of stress ulcer,” Lege Artis Medicinae, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 2004.
- M. E. Van Leerdam, E. A. J. Rauws, A. A. M. Geraedts, and G. N. J. Tytgat, “Management in peptic ulcer hemorrhage: a Dutch national inquiry,” Endoscopy, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 935–942, 2000.
- G. Lesur, B. Bour, and P. Aegerter, “Management of bleeding peptic ulcer in France: a national inquiry,” Gastroenterologie Clinique et Biologique, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 140–144, 2005.
- J. Maiss, D. Schwab, A. Ludwig et al., “Medical and endoscopic treatment in peptic ulcer bleeding: a national German survey,” Zeitschrift fur Gastroenterologie, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 246–255, 2010.
- G. S. Cooper, A. Chak, L. E. Way, P. J. Hammar, D. L. Harper, and G. E. Rosenthal, “Early endoscopy in upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage: associations with recurrent bleeding, surgery, and length of hospital stay,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 145–52, 1999.
- J. A. H. Forrest, N. D. C. Finlayson, and D. J. C. Shearman, “Endoscopy in gastrointestinal bleeding,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 7877, pp. 394–397, 1974.
- B. Bour, B. Person, P. Cales et al., “Interobserver agreement on endoscopic diagnosis of bleeding peptic ulcers,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1997.
- ASGE Guideline, “The role of endoscopy in upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 60, pp. 497–504, 2004.
- L. Laine and K. R. McQuaid, “Endoscopic therapy for bleeding ulcers: an evidence-based approach based on meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 33–47, 2009.
- R. Marmo, G. Rotondano, R. Piscopo, M. A. Bianco, R. D'Angella, and L. Cipolletta, “Dual therapy versus monotherapy in the endoscopic treatment of high-risk bleeding ulcers: a meta-analysis of controlled trials,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 279–289, 2007.
- M. Bardou, Y. Toubouti, D. Benhaberou-Brun, E. Rahme, and A. N. Barkun, “Meta-analysis: proton-pump inhibition in high-risk patients with acute peptic ulcer bleeding,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 677–686, 2005.
- A. N. Barkun, M. Bardou, E. J. Kuipers et al., “International consensus recommendations on the management of patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 101–113, 2010.
- G. I. Leontiadis, V. K. Sharma, and C. W. Howden, “Proton pump inhibitor therapy for peptic ulcer bleeding: cochrane collaboration meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 286–296, 2007.
- A. Guglielmi, A. Ruzzenente, M. Sandri et al., “Risk assessment and prediction of rebleeding in bleeding gastroduodenal ulcer,” Endoscopy, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 778–786, 2002.
- E. M. Vreeburg, P. Snel, J. W. De Bruijne, J. F. W. M. Bartelsman, E. A. J. Rauws, and G. N. J. Tytgat, “Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in the Amsterdam area: incidence, diagnosis, and clinical outcome,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 236–243, 1997.