- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 124530, 13 pages
Lung and Intestine: A Specific Link in an Ulcerative Colitis Rat Model
1Department of Internal Medicine of TCM, Dongzhimen Hospital, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, 5 Hai Yun Cang, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100700, China
2Department of Internal Medicine of TCM, The Third Hospital affiliated with Henan University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 63 Dong Ming, Jinshui District, Zhengzhou, Henan 450008, China
3Department of Internal Medicine of TCM, Nantong Hospital, 41 Jianshe Road, Chongchuan District, Nantong, Jiangsu 226000, China
4Department of Basic Theory of TCM, School of Preclinical Medicine, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, 11 Bei San Huan Dong Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100029, China
Received 14 November 2012; Revised 2 March 2013; Accepted 2 March 2013
Academic Editor: Bjørn Moum
Copyright © 2013 Yuan Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. C. Baumgart and S. R. Carding, “Inflammatory bowel disease: cause and immunobiology,” Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9573, pp. 1627–1640, 2007.
- M. Allez and R. Modigliani, “Clinical features of inflammatory bowel disease,” Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 329–336, 2000.
- J. H. Chidlow Jr., J. J. M. Greer, C. Anthoni et al., “Endothelial caveolin-1 regulates pathologic angiogenesis in a mouse model of colitis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 136, no. 2, article e572, 2009.
- L. Deban, C. Correale, S. Vetrano, A. Malesci, and S. Danese, “Multiple pathogenic roles of microvasculature in inflammatory bowel disease: a jack of all trades,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 172, no. 6, pp. 1457–1466, 2008.
- F. Scaldaferri, S. Vetrano, M. Sans et al., “VEGF-A links angiogenesis and inflammation in inflammatory bowel disease pathogenesis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 136, no. 2, article e585, 2009.
- M. Turner-Warwick, “Fibrosing alveolitis and chronic liver disease,” The Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 37, no. 145, pp. 133–149, 1968.
- S. C. Kraft, R. H. Earle, M. Roesler, and J. R. Esterly, “Unexplained bronchopulmonary disease with inflammatory bowel disease,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 136, no. 4, pp. 454–459, 1976.
- R. J. A. Butland, P. Cole, K. M. Citron, and M. Turner-Warwick, “Chronic bronchial suppuration and inflammatory bowel disease,” Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 50, no. 197, pp. 63–75, 1981.
- P. Camus, F. Piard, T. Ashcroft, A. A. Gal, and T. V. Colby, “The lung in inflammatory bowel disease,” Medicine, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 151–183, 1993.
- K. Garg, D. A. Lynch, and J. D. Newell, “Inflammatory airways disease in ulcerative colitis: CT and high-resolution CT features,” Journal of Thoracic Imaging, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 159–163, 1993.
- T. Higenbottam, G. M. Cochrane, T. J. Clark, D. Turner, R. Millis, and W. Seymour, “Bronchial disease in ulcerative colitis,” Thorax, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 581–585, 1980.
- R. Sostegni, M. Daperno, and A. Pera, “Pulmonary manifestations of inflammatory bowel disease,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 239–241, 2007.
- L. Kuzela, A. Vavrecka, M. Prikazska et al., “Pulmonary complications in patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 46, no. 27, pp. 1714–1719, 1999.
- M. Marvisi, P. D. Borrello, M. Brianti, G. Fornarsari, G. Marani, and A. Guariglia, “Changes in the carbon monoxide diffusing capacity of the lung in ulcerative colitis,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 965–968, 2000.
- N. Songur, Y. Songur, M. Tuzun, et al., “Pulmonary function tests and high-resolution CT in the detection of pulmonary involvement in inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 292–298, 2003.
- N. Tzanakis, M. Samiou, D. Bouros, J. Mouzas, E. Kouroumalis, and N. M. Siafakas, “Small airways function in patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 382–386, 1998.
- S. Keely, N. J. Talley, and P. M. Hansbro, “Pulmonary-intestinal cross-talk in mucosal inflammatory disease,” Mucosal Immunology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 7–18, 2012.
- C. O. Elson, Y. Cong, R. Lorenz, and C. T. Weaver, “New developments in experimental models of inflammatory bowel disease,” Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 360–367, 2004.
- N. Iqbal, J. R. Oliver, F. H. Wagner, A. S. Lazenby, C. O. Elson, and C. T. Weaver, “T helper 1 and T helper 2 cells are pathogenic in an antigen-specific model of colitis,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 71–84, 2002.
- D. V. Ostanin, J. Bao, I. Koboziev et al., “T cell transfer model of chronic colitis: concepts, considerations, and tricks of the trade,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 296, no. 2, pp. G135–G146, 2009.
- G. Tahan, E. Aytac, H. Aytekin, et al., “Vitamin E has a dual effect of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities in acetic acid-induced ulcerative colitis in rats,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 333–338, 2011.
- A. A. Te Velde, F. De Kort, E. Sterrenburg et al., “Comparative analysis of colonic gene expression of three experimental colitis models mimicking inflammatory bowel disease,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 325–330, 2007.
- H. Yukitake, H. Kimura, H. Suzuki, et al., “BTZO-15, an ARE-activator, ameliorates DSS-and TNBS-induced colitis in rats,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 8, Article ID e23256, 2011.
- M. Auli, Y. Nasser, W. Ho, et al., “Neuromuscular changes in a rat model of colitis,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 141, no. 1-2, pp. 10–21, 2008.
- H. Kazi and Z. Qian, “Crocetin reduces TNBS-induced experimental colitis in mice by downregulation of NFkB,” Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 181–187, 2009.
- A. A. Te Velde, M. I. Verstege, and D. W. Hommes, “Critical appraisal of the current practice in murine TNBS-induced colitis,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 995–999, 2006.
- T. Dohi and K. Fujihashi, “Type 1 and 2 T helper cell-mediated colitis,” Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 651–657, 2006.
- Y. Liu, Q. Hua, H. Lei, and P. Li, “Effect of Tong Luo Jiu Nao on Abeta-degrading enzymes in AD rat brains,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 1035–1046, 2011.
- M. Y. Zhu, Y. M. Lu, Y. X. Ou, H. Z. Zhang, and W. X. Chen, “Dynamic progress of 2,4,6-trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid induced chronic colitis and fibrosis in rat model,” Journal of Digestive Diseases, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 421–429, 2012.
- Y. Liu, G. Yang, X. Bu et al., “Cell-type-specific regulation of raft-associated Akt signaling,” Cell Death and Disease, vol. 2, no. 4, article e145, 2011.
- P. Schnupf and P. J. Sansonetti, “Quantitative RT-PCR profiling of the rabbit immune response: assessment of acute Shigella flexneri infection,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 6, Article ID e36446, 2012.
- S. Larsen, K. Bendtzen, and O. H. Nielsen, “Extraintestinal manifestations of inflammatory bowel disease: epidemiology, diagnosis, and management,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 97–114, 2010.
- A. A. Raj, S. S. Birring, R. Green, A. Grant, J. de Caestecker, and I. D. Pavord, “Prevalence of inflammatory bowel disease in patients with airways disease,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 780–785, 2008.
- S. Chikano, K. Sawada, K. Ohnishi, K. Fukunaga, J. Tanaka, and T. Shimoyama, “Interstitial pneumonia accompanying ulcerative colitis,” Internal Medicine, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 883–886, 2001.
- K. Marten, F. Fend, H. Hautmann, M. Kremer, E. J. Rummeny, and C. Engelke, “Fatal acute exacerbation of usual interstitial pneumonia in ulcerative colitis,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 78, no. 932, pp. 762–766, 2005.
- M. G. Kelly, F. A. Frizelle, P. T. Thornley, L. Beckert, M. Epton, and A. C. Lynch, “Inflammatory bowel disease and the lung: is there a link between surgery and bronchiectasis?” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 754–757, 2006.
- H. Y. Sun, X. Y. Wang, and J. Wu, “The interior-exterior correlation between fei and dachang from the lung function injury in ulcerative colitis patients,” Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 591–594, 2011.
- A. Yilmaz, N. Y. Demirci, D. Hoşgün et al., “Pulmonary involvement in inflammatory bowel disease,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 39, pp. 4952–4957, 2010.
- C. Fiocchi, “Intestinal inflammation: a complex interplay of immune and nonimmune cell interactions,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 273, no. 4, pp. G769–G775, 1997.
- D. G. Binion and P. Rafiee, “Is Inflammatory bowel disease a vascular disease? Targeting angiogenesis improves chronic inflammation in inflammatory bowel disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 400–403, 2009.
- W. E. Cromer, J. M. Mathis, D. N. Granger, G. V. Chaitanya, and J. S. Alexander, “Role of the endothelium in inflammatory bowel diseases,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 578–593, 2011.
- M. S. da Silva, S. Sánchez-Fidalgo, E. Talero et al., “Anti-inflammatory intestinal activity of Abarema cochliacarpos (Gomes) Barneby & Grimes in TNBS colitis model,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 467–475, 2010.
- C. F. Krieglstein, C. Anthoni, W. H. Cerwinka et al., “Role of blood- and tissue-associated inducible nitric-oxide synthase in colonic inflammation,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 490–496, 2007.
- E. Talero, S. Sánchez-Fidalgo, C. A. de la Lastra, M. Illanes, J. R. Calvo, and V. Motilva, “Acute and chronic responses associated with adrenomedullin administration in experimental colitis,” Peptides, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 2001–2012, 2008.
- M. J. Hickey, “Role of inducible nitric oxide synthase in the regulation of leucocyte recruitment,” Clinical Science, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2001.
- D. M. Abdallah and N. R. Ismael, “Resveratrol abrogates adhesion molecules and protects against TNBS-induced ulcerative colitis in rats,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 811–818, 2011.
- S. Thomas and D. C. Baumgart, “Targeting leukocyte migration and adhesion in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis,” Inflammopharmacology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2012.
- T. Vowinkel, K. C. Wood, K. Y. Stokes et al., “Mechanisms of platelet and leukocyte recruitment in experimental colitis,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 5, pp. G1054–G1060, 2007.
- J. J. A. Auwerda, F. J. Zijlstra, C. J. A. M. Tak, H. F. G. M. Van den Ingh, J. H. P. Wilson, and R. J. T. Ouwendijk, “Ridogrel enemas in distal ulcerative colitis,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 397–400, 2001.