- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 145253, 5 pages
Probing the Hepatic Progenitor Cell in Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma
1Surgery Laboratory, The Affiliated Hospital, Inner Mongolia Medical University, Hohhot, Inner Mongolia 010050, China
2Department of Surgery, The Affiliated Hospital, Inner Mongolia Medical University, Hohhot, Inner Mongolia 010050, China
Received 20 August 2012; Revised 27 January 2013; Accepted 29 January 2013
Academic Editor: John Plevris
Copyright © 2013 Shu-Qin Jia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Sell, “Cellular origin of hepatocellular carcinomas,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 419–424, 2002.
- S. Sell, “Heterogeneity and plasticity of hepatocyte lineage cells,” Hepatology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 738–750, 2001.
- M. Grompe, “The origin of hepatocytes,” Gastroenterology, vol. 128, no. 7, pp. 2158–2160, 2005.
- T. Mitaka, “Hepatic stem cells: from bone marrow cells to hepatocytes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 281, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2001.
- O. M. Crosbie, M. Reynolds, G. McEntee, O. Traynor, J. E. Hegarty, and C. O'Farrelly, “In vitro evidence for the presence of hematopoietic stem cells in the adult human liver,” Hepatology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1193–1198, 1999.
- N. D. Theise, R. Saxena, B. C. Portmann et al., “The canals of Hering and hepatic stem cells in humans,” Hepatology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1425–1433, 1999.
- T. Roskams, R. de Vos, P. van Eyken, H. Myazaki, B. van Damme, and V. Desmet, “Hepatic OV-6 expression in human liver disease and rat experiments: evidence for hepatic progenitor cells in man,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 455–463, 1998.
- S. Haque, Y. Haruna, K. Saito et al., “Identification of bipotential progenitor cells in human liver regeneration,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 699–705, 1996.
- J. C. Xiao, P. Ruck, and E. Kaiserling, “Small epithelial cells in extrahepatic biliary atresia: electron microscopic and immunoelectron microscopic findings suggest a close relationship to liver progenitor cells,” Histopathology, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 454–460, 1999.
- S. Sell, “Comparison of liver progenitor cells in human atypical ductular reactions with those seen in experimental models of liver injury,” Hepatology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 317–331, 1998.
- T. Roskams, R. de Vos, and V. Desmet, “‘Undifferentiated progenitor cells’ in focal nodular hyperplasia of the liver,” Histopathology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 291–299, 1996.
- R. de Vos and V. Desmet, “Ultrastructural characteristics of novel epithelial cell types identified in human pathologic liver specimens with chronic ductular reaction,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 1441–1450, 1992.
- L. Libbrecht and T. Roskams, “Hepatic progenitor cells in human liver diseases,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 389–396, 2002.
- H. C. Bisgaard, D. C. Parmelee, H. A. Dunsford, S. Sechi, and S. S. Thorgeirsson, “Keratin 14 protein in cultured nonparenchymal rat hepatic epithelial cells: characterization of keratin 14 and keratin 19 as antigens for the commonly used mouse monoclonal antibody OV-6,” Molecular Carcinogenesis, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 60–66, 1993.
- M. L. Dumble, E. J. Croager, G. C. T. Yeoh, and E. A. Quail, “Generation and characterization of p53 null transformed hepatic progenitor cells: oval cells give rise to hepatocellular carcinoma,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 435–445, 2002.
- N. Tanimizu, A. Miyajima, and K. E. Mostov, “Liver progenitor cells fold up a cell monolayer into a double-layered structure during tubular morphogenesis,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 2486–2494, 2009.
- B. E. Petersen, W. C. Bowen, K. D. Patrene et al., “Bone marrow as a potential source of hepatic oval cells,” Science, vol. 284, no. 5417, pp. 1168–1170, 1999.
- P. Zhou, L. Wirthlin, J. McGee, G. Annett, and J. Nolta, “Contribution of human hematopoietic stem cells to liver repair,” Seminars in Immunopathology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 411–419, 2009.
- M. Dean, T. Fojo, and S. Bates, “Tumour stem cells and drug resistance,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 275–284, 2005.
- F. M. Spagnoli, L. Amicone, M. Tripodi, and M. C. Weiss, “Identification of a bipotential precursor cell in hepatic cell lines derived from transgenic mice expressing cyto-Met in the liver,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 143, no. 4, pp. 1101–1112, 1998.
- S. Sell, “The role of determined stem-cells in the cellular lineage of hepatocellular carcinoma,” International Journal of Developmental Biology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 189–201, 1993.
- S. Tanaka, T. Yamamoto, H. Tanaka et al., “Potentiality of combined hepatocellular and intrahepatic cholangiocellular carcinoma originating from a hepatic precursor cell: immunohistochemical evidence,” Hepatology Research, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 52–57, 2005.
- J. C. Xiao, X. L. Jin, P. Ruck, A. Adam, and E. Kaiserling, “Hepatic progenitor cells in human liver cirrhosis: immunohistochemical, electron microscopic and immunofluorencence confocal microscopic findings,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 1208–1211, 2004.
- L. Libbrecht, R. de Vos, D. Cassiman, V. Desmet, R. Aerts, and T. Roskams, “Hepatic progenitor cells in hepatocellular adenomas,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1388–1396, 2001.
- N. D. Theise, J. L. Yao, K. Harada et al., “Hepatic ‘stem cell’ malignancies in adults: four cases,” Histopathology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 263–271, 2003.
- S. Tanaka, T. Yamamoto, H. Tanaka et al., “Potentiality of combined hepatocellular and intrahepatic cholangiocellular carcinoma originating from a hepatic precursor cell: Immunohistochemical evidence,” Hepatology Research, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 52–57, 2005.
- R. Parent, M. J. Marion, L. Furio, C. Trépo, and M. A. Petit, “Origin and characterization of a human bipotent liver progenitor cell line,” Gastroenterology, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 1147–1156, 2004.
- N. D. Theise, S. Badve, R. Saxena et al., “Derivation of hepatocytes from bone marrow cells in mice after radiation-induced myeloablation,” Hepatology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 235–240, 2000.
- L. Golden-Mason, M. P. Curry, N. Nolan et al., “Differential expression of lymphoid and myeloid markers on differentiating hematopoietic stem cells in normal and tumor-bearing adult human liver,” Hepatology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1251–1256, 2000.
- G. H. Danet, J. L. Luongo, G. Butler et al., “C1qRp defines a new human stem cell population with hematopoietic and hepatic potential,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 16, pp. 10441–10445, 2002.
- O. Kollet, S. Shivtiel, Y. Q. Chen et al., “HGF, SDF-1, and MMP-9 are involved in stress-induced human CD34+ stem cell recruitment to the liver,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 160–169, 2003.
- G. A. Challen and M. H. Little, “A side order of stem cells: the SP phenotype,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 2006.