- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 236963, 9 pages
Rifaximin versus Nonabsorbable Disaccharides for the Treatment of Hepatic Encephalopathy: A Meta-Analysis
Department of Gastroenterology, Shanghai tenth People’s Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200072, China
Received 14 December 2012; Revised 7 March 2013; Accepted 7 March 2013
Academic Editor: Edoardo Giovanni Giannini
Copyright © 2013 Dong Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Bustamante, A. Rimola, P. J. Ventura et al., “Prognostic significance of hepatic encephalopathy in patients with cirrhosis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 890–895, 1999.
- H. Garg, A. Kumar, V. Garg, P. Sharma, B. C. Sharma, and S. K. Sarin, “Clinical profile and predictors of mortality in patients of acute-on-chronic liver failure,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 44, pp. 166–171, 2012.
- S. Abou-Assi and Z. R. Vlahcevic, “Hepatic encephalopathy: metabolic consequence of cirrhosis often is reversible,” Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 52–65, 2001.
- C. A. Stewart, M. Malinchoc, W. R. Kim, and P. S. Kamath, “Hepatic encephalopathy as a predictor of survival in patients with end-stage liver disease,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1366–1371, 2007.
- P. Ferenci, A. Lockwood, K. Mullen, R. Tarter, K. Weissenborn, and A. T. Blei, “Hepatic encephalopathy—definition, nomenclature, diagnosis, and quantification: final report of the Working Party at the 11th World Congresses of Gastroenterology, Vienna, 1998,” Hepatology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 716–721, 2002.
- J. Fichet, E. Mercier, O. Genée et al., “Prognosis and 1-year mortality of intensive care unit patients with severe hepatic encephalopathy,” Journal of Critical Care, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 364–370, 2009.
- Z. Poh and P. E. Chang, “A current review of the diagnostic and treatment strategies of hepatic encephalopathy,” International Journal of Hepatology, vol. 2012, Article ID 480309, 10 pages, 2012.
- M. J. W. McPhail, J. S. Bajaj, H. C. Thomas, and S. D. Taylor-Robinson, “Pathogenesis and diagnosis of hepatic encephalopathy,” Expert Review of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 365–378, 2010.
- G. W. Neff, M. Jones, T. Broda, et al., “Durability of rifaximin response in hepatic encephalopathy,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 168–171, 2012.
- R. Williams, O. F. W. James, T. W. Warnes, and M. Y. Morgan, “Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of rifaximin in the treatment of hepatic encephalopathy: a double-blind randomized, dose-finding multi-centre study,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 203–208, 2000.
- G. Kircheis, W. E. Fleig, R. Görtelmeyer, S. Grafe, and D. Häussinger, “Assessment of low-grade hepatic encephalopathy: a critical analysis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 642–650, 2007.
- J. P. Ong, A. Aggarwal, D. Krieger et al., “Correlation between ammonia levels and the severity of hepatic encephalopathy,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 188–193, 2003.
- A. T. Blei and J. Córdoba, “Hepatic encephalopathy,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, pp. 1968–1976, 2001.
- N. M. Bass, “The current pharmacological therapies for hepatic encephalopathy,” Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 25, supplement 1, pp. 23–31, 2007.
- K. Tarao, T. Ikeda, K. Hayashi et al., “Successful use of vancomycin hydrochloride in the treatment of lactulose resistant chronic hepatic encephalopathy,” Gut, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 702–706, 1990.
- M. L. Zeneroli, R. Avallone, B. L. Corsi, I. Venturini, C. Baraldi, and M. Baraldi, “Management of hepatic encephalopathy: role of rifaximin,” Chemotherapy, vol. 51, supplement 1, pp. 90–95, 2005.
- P. S. Lietman, “Liver disease, aminoglycoside antibiotics and renal dysfunction,” Hepatology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 966–968, 1988.
- E. A. Debbia, E. Maioli, S. Roveta, and A. Marchese, “Effects of rifaximin on bacterial virulence mechanisms at supra- and sub-inhibitory concentrations,” Journal of Chemotherapy, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 186–194, 2008.
- K. R. Lawrence and J. A. Klee, “Rifaximin for the treatment of hepatic encephalopathy,” Pharmacotherapy, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1019–1032, 2008.
- K. M. Eltawil, M. Laryea, K. Peltekian, and M. Molinari, “Rifaximin vs. conventional oral therapy for hepatic encephalopathy: a meta-analysis,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 767–777, 2012.
- Y. H. Paik, K. S. Lee, K. H. Han et al., “Comparison of rifaximin and lactulose for the treatment of hepatic encephalopathy: a prospective randomized study,” Yonsei Medical Journal, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 399–407, 2005.
- D. Häussinger, “Hepatic encephalopathy,” Acta Gastroenterologica, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 457–464, 2010.
- G. Pedretti, C. Calzetti, G. Missale, and F. Fiaccadori, “Rifaximin versus neomycin on hyperammoniemia in chronic portal systemic encephalopathy of cirrhotics. A double-blind, randomized trial,” Italian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 175–178, 1991.
- A. P. Verhagen, H. C. W. de Vet, R. A. de Bie, M. Boers, and P. A. van den Brandt, “The art of quality assessment of RCTs included in systematic reviews,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 651–654, 2001.
- D. Festi, G. Mazzella, M. Orsini et al., “Rifaximin in the treatment of chronic hepatic encephalopathy; resultes of a multicenter study of efficacy and safety,” Current Therapeutic Research, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 598–609, 1993.
- L. Bucci and G. C. Palmieri, “Double-blind, double-dummy comparison between treatment with rifaximin and lactulose in patients with medium to severe degree hepatic encephalopathy,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 109–118, 1993.
- P. Massa, E. Vallerino, and M. Dodero, “Treatment of hepatic encephalopathy with rifaximin: double blind, double dummy study versus lactulose,” European Journal of Clinical Research, vol. 4, pp. 7–18, 1993.
- A. Mas, J. Rodés, L. Sunyer, et al., “Comparison of rifaximin and lactitol in the treatment of acute hepatic encephalopathy: results of a randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, controlled clinical trial,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2003.
- C. Loguercio, A. Federico, V. De Girolamo, A. Ferrieri, and C. Del Vecchio Blanco, “Cyclic treatment of chronic hepatic encephalopathy with rifaximin. Results of a double-blind clinical study,” Minerva Gastroenterologica e Dietologica, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 53–62, 2003.
- G. Fera, F. Agostinachio, M. Nigro, O. Schiraldi, and A. Ferrieri, “Rifaximin in the treatment of hepatic encephalopathy,” European Journal of Clinical Research, vol. 4, pp. 57–63, 1993.
- H. Song, K. S. Lee, M. H. Kim, Y. H. Paik, B. S. Moon, and S. H. Yoon, “The clinical efficacy of rifaximin in the treatment of hepatic encephalopathy (comparison with lactulose),” Hepatology, vol. 32, article 407, 2000.
- H. O. Conn, C. M. Leevy, Z. R. Vlahcevic, et al., “Comparison of lactulose and neomycin in the treatment of chronic portal systemic encephalopathy. A double blind controlled trial,” Gastroenterology, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 573–583, 1977.
- W. Bleibel and A. M. Al-Osaimi, “Hepatic encephalopathy,” Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 301–309, 2012.
- Z. D. Jiang and H. L. Dupont, “Rifaximin: in vitro and in vivo antibacterial activity—a review,” Chemotherapy, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 67–72, 2005.
- N. M. Bass, K. D. Mullen, A. Sanyal et al., “Rifaximin treatment in hepatic encephalopathy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 12, pp. 1071–1081, 2010.