- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 264509, 4 pages
Glossopharyngeal Nerve Block versus Lidocaine Spray to Improve Tolerance in Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
1PEMEX Regional Hospital Salamanca, Subdirección de Servicios de Salud, Gerencia de Servicios Médicos. Av. Tampico 910 Col. Bellavista, 36730 Salamanca, Guanajuato, Mexico
2Division of Health Sciences, Department of Medicine and Nutrition, Campus Leon, University of Guanajuato, 20 de Enero No. 929, Colonia Obregón, 37320 León, Guanajuato, Mexico
3Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Director of Education and Research, UMAE HE 1, Paseo de los Insurgentes SN, Colonia Paraísos, 37150 León, Guanajuato, Mexico
4Universidad De LaSalle Bajío, School of Dentistry, Av. Universidad 602, Col. Lomas del Campestre, 37150 León, Guanajuato, Mexico
5PEMEX Subdirección de Servicios de Salud, Av. Marina Nacional 350 Col. Petroleos Mexicanos, 11311 Distrito Federal, Mexico
Received 5 December 2012; Revised 4 February 2013; Accepted 9 February 2013
Academic Editor: Spiros D. Ladas
Copyright © 2013 Moisés Ortega Ramírez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, “Task force on sedation and analgesia by non-anesthesiologists,” Anesthesiology, vol. 96, pp. 1004–1010, 2002.
- G. A. Clarke, B. C. Jacobson, R. J. Hammett, and D. L. Carr-Locke, “The indications, utilization and safety of gastrointestinal endoscopy in an extremely elderly patient cohort,” Endoscopy, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 580–584, 2001.
- M. C. A. Van Kouwen, J. P. H. Drenth, H. M. J. M. Verhoeven, L. P. Bos, and L. G. J. B. Engels, “Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in patients aged 85 years or more. Results of a feasibility study in a district general hospital,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2003.
- W. H. Coleman, “Gastroscopy: a primary diagnostic procedure,” Primary Care, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1988.
- L. Seinelä, P. Reinikainen, and J. Ahvenainen, “Effect of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy on cardiopulmonary changes in very old patients,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2003.
- R. Ross and J. L. Newton, “Heart rate and blood pressure changes during gastroscopy in healthy older subjects,” Gerontology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 182–186, 2004.
- R. Campo, E. Brullet, A. Montserrat et al., “Identification of factors that influence tolerance of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 201–204, 1999.
- H. E. Mulcahy, P. Kelly, M. R. Banks et al., “Factors associated with tolerance to, and discomfort with, unsedated diagnostic gastroscopy,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1352–1357, 2001.
- G. D. Bell, “Premedication, preparation, and surveillance,” Endoscopy, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 2–12, 2002.
- A. C. Clarke, L. Chiragakis, L. C. Hillman, and G. L. Kaye, “Sedation for endoscopy: the safe use of propofol by general practitioner sedationists,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 176, no. 4, pp. 158–161, 2002.
- D. E. Davis, M. P. Jones, and C. M. Kubik, “Topical pharyngeal anesthesia does not improve upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in conscious sedated patients,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 1853–1856, 1999.
- V. Dhir and K. M. Mohandas, “Topical pharyngeal anesthesia for upper gastrointestinal endoscopy,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 829–830, 2000.
- V. Dhir, V. Santhi Swaroop, K. F. Vazifdar, and S. D. Wagle, “Topical pharyngeal anesthesia without intravenous sedation during upper gastrointestinal endoscopy,” Indian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 10–11, 1997.
- N. Ljubičić, V. Supanc, G. Roić, and M. Sharma, “Efficacy and safety of propofol sedation during urgent upper gastrointestinal endoscopy—a prospective study,” Collegium Antropologicum, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 189–195, 2003.
- H. E. Mulcahy, R. R. S. H. Greaves, A. Ballinger et al., “A double-blind randomized trial of low-dose versus high-dose topical anaesthesia in unsedated upper gastrointestinal endoscopy,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 975–979, 1996.
- D. Stolz, P. N. Chhajed, J. Leuppi, E. Pflimlin, and M. Tamm, “Nebulized lidocaine for flexible bronchoscopy: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Chest, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 1756–1760, 2005.
- N. C. Fisher, S. Bailey, and J. A. Gibson, “A prospective, randomized controlled trial of sedation vs. no sedation in outpatient diagnostic upper gastrointestinal endoscopy,” Endoscopy, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 21–24, 1998.
- D. G. Leitch, J. Wicks, O. A. El Beshir, S. A. M. Ali, and B. K. Chaudhury, “Topical anesthesia with 50 mg of lidocaine spray facilitates upper gastrointestinal endoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 384–387, 1993.
- S. P. Pereira, S. H. Hussaini, P. J. V. Hanson, M. L. Wilkinson, and G. E. Sladen, “Endoscopy: throat spray or sedation?” Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of London, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 411–414, 1994.
- C. Ayoub, A. Skoury, H. Abdul-Baki, V. Nasr, and A. Soweid, “Lidocaine lollipop as single-agent anesthesia in upper GI endoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 786–793, 2007.
- Y. Soma, H. Saito, T. Kishibe, T. Takahashi, H. Tanaka, and A. Munakata, “Evaluation of topical pharyngeal anesthesia for upper endoscopy including factors associated with patient tolerance,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 2001.
- Barash-Cullen-Stoelting, Anestesia Clínica, McGraw-Hill Interamericana, 3rd edition, 1999.
- C. S. Kaeder and C. A. Hirshman, “Acute airway obstruction: a complication of aluminum tape wrapping of tracheal tubes in laser surgery,” Canadian Anaesthetists Society Journal, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 138–139, 1979.
- E. B. Keeffe and K. W. O'Connor, “1989 A/S/G/E survey of endoscopic sedation and monitoring practices,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 36, no. 3, supplement, pp. S13–S18, 1990.
- R. H. Tu, P. Grewall, J. W. Leung et al., “Diphenhydramine as an adjunct to sedation for colonoscopy: a double-blind randomized, placebo-controlled study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 87–94, 2006.
- J. P. Waring, T. H. Baron, W. K. Hirota et al., “Guidelines for conscious sedation and monitoring during gastrointestinal endoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 317–322, 2003.