- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 276183, 4 pages
Bariatric Surgery in Moderately Obese Patients: A Prospective Study
Bariatric Surgery Unit, Department of Experimental Medicine and Surgery, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Policlinico di Tor Vergata, Viale Oxford, 81-00133 Roma, Italy
Received 7 October 2013; Accepted 20 November 2013
Academic Editor: Fabio Farinati
Copyright © 2013 M. Cerci et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Berrington de Gonzales, P. Hartge, J. R. Cerhan, et al., “Body mass index and mortality among 1. 46 million white adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, pp. 2211–2219, 2010, Erratum in The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, p. 869, 2011.
- J. Mechanick, A. Youdim, D. B. Jones et al., “Clinical practice guidelines for the perioperative nutritional, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of the bariatric surgery patient. 2013 update: cosponsored by American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Obesity Society, and American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 337–372, 2013.
- M. Flegal, B. K. Kit, OrpamaH, and B. I. Grandbard, “Association of all cause mortlity with overweight and obesity using standard body mass index categories: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 309, no. 1, pp. 71–82, 2013.
- M. Maggard-Gibbons, M. Maglione, M. Livhits et al., “Bariatric surgery for weight loss and glycemic control in nonmorbidly obese adults with diabetes: a systematic review,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 309, no. 21, pp. 2274–2275, 2013.
- American College of Physicians, “NIH conference. Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity. Consensus development conference panel,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 115, pp. 956–961, 1991.
- M. Parikh, J. Duncombe, and G. A. Fielding, “Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for patients with body mass index of 35 kg/m2,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 518–522, 2006.
- J. I. Mechanick, A. J. Garbr, Y. Handelsman, et al., “American association of clinical endocrinologists (AACE) position paper on obesity and obesity medicine,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 18, pp. 642–648, 2012.
- P. E. O’Brien, J. B. Dixon, C. Laurie, et al., “Treatment of mild to moderate obesity with laparoscopic adjustable gastric or an intensive medical program: a randomized trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 2, pp. 518–522, 2006.
- S. Sultan, M. Parikh, H. Youn, M. Kurian, G. Fielding, and C. Ren, “Early U.S. outcomes after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in patients with a body mass index less than 35 kg/m2,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1569–1573, 2009.
- L. Angrisani, F. Favretti, F. Furbetta et al., “Italian group for Lap-Band System: results of multicenter study on patients with BMI ≤35 kg/m2,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 415–418, 2004.
- U. S. Food and Drugs dminastration, “FDA expands use of banding system for weight loss,” http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm245617.htm.
- M. Fried, G. Ribaric, J. N. Buchwald, S. Svacina, K. Dolezalova, and N. Scopinaro, “Metabolic surgery for the treatment of type 2 diabetes in patients with BMI <35 kg/m2: an integrative review of early studies,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 776–790, 2010.
- F. Rubino, L. M. Kaplan, P. R. Schauer, and D. E. Cummings, “The diabetes surgery summit consensus conference: recommendations for the evaluation and use of gastrointestinal surgery to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 251, no. 3, pp. 399–405, 2010.
- J. B. Dixon, P. E. O'Brien, J. Playfair et al., “Adjustable gastric banding and conventional therapy for type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 3, pp. 316–323, 2008.
- F. Abbatini, D. Capoccia, G. Casella, F. Coccia, F. Leonetti, and N. Basso, “Type 2 diabetes in obese patients with body mass index of 3035 kg/m2: sleeve gastrectomy versus medical treatment,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 2012.
- R. Cohen, J. S. Pinheiro, and J. L. Correa, “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for BMI<35kg/m2: a tailored approach,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 2, pp. 401–404, 2006.
- J. Choi, M. Digiorgi, L. Milone et al., “Outcomes of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in patients with low body mass index,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 367–371, 2010.
- P. R. Schauer, B. Burguera, S. Ikramuddin et al., “Effect of laparoscopic Roux-En Y gastric bypass on type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 238, no. 4, pp. 467–485, 2003.
- T. P. Kakoulidis, Å. Karringer, T. Gloaguen, and D. Arvidsson, “Initial results with sleeve gastrectomy for patients with class I obesity (BMI 30–35 kg/m2),” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 425–428, 2009.
- J. Picot, J. Jones, J. L. Colquitt, E. Loveman, and A. J. Clegg, “Weight loss surgery for mild to moderate obesity: a systematic review and economic evaluation,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1496–1506, 2012.