- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 340851, 6 pages
Impact of Physical Activity on Cancer-Specific and Overall Survival of Patients with Colorectal Cancer
1Department of Medical Oncology, APHP, Avicenne Hospital, 125 route de Stalingrad, 125 rue de Stalingrad, 93009 Bobigny, France
2Department of Pharmacology, APHP, Avicenne Hospital, 125 route de Stalingrad, 125 rue de Stalingrad, 93009 Bobigny, France
3Department of Radiotherapy, APHP, Avicenne Hospital, 125 route de Stalingrad, 125 rue de Stalingrad, 93009 Bobigny, France
Received 9 June 2013; Accepted 25 July 2013
Academic Editor: Antoni Castells
Copyright © 2013 Gaetan Des Guetz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Ma, Y. Yang, F. Wang et al., “Obesity and risk of colorectal cancer: a systematic review of prospective studies,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 1, Article ID e53916, 2013.
- M. Protani, M. Coory, and J. H. Martin, “Effect of obesity on survival of women with breast cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 627–635, 2010.
- R. Labianca, G. D. Beretta, B. Kildani et al., “Colon cancer,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 106–133, 2010.
- K. Y. Wolin, Y. Yan, G. A. Colditz, and I.-M. Lee, “Physical activity and colon cancer prevention: a meta-analysis,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 611–616, 2009.
- Physical Activities Guidelines Advisory Committee, Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Report, US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- C. L. Rock, C. Doyle, W. Demark-Wahnefield, et al., “Nutrition and physical activity guidelines for cancer survivors,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 62, pp. 243–274, 2012.
- K. H. Schmitz, K. S. Courneya, C. Matthews, et al., “American college of sports medicine roundtable on exercise guidelines for cancer survivors,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 1409–1426, 2011.
- R. M. Speck, K. S. Courneya, L. C. Mâsse, S. Duval, and K. H. Schmitz, “An update of controlled physical activity trials in cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Cancer Survivorship, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 87–100, 2010.
- P. T. Campbell, A. V. Patel, C. C. Newton, E. J. Jacobs, and S. M. Gapstur, “Associations of recreational physical activity and leisure time spent sitting with colorectal cancer survival,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 876–885, 2013.
- J. G. Kuiper, A. I. Phipps, M. L. Neuhouser, et al., “Recreational physical activity, body mass index, and survival in women with colorectal cancer,” Cancer Causes Control, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1939–1948, 2012.
- P. D. Baade, X. Meng, P. H. Youl, J. F. Aitken, J. Dunn, and S. K. Chambers, “The impact of body mass index and physical activity on mortality among patients with colorectal cancer in Queensland, Australia,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1410–1420, 2011.
- J. A. Meyerhardt, E. L. Giovannucci, S. Ogino et al., “Physical activity and male colorectal cancer survival,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 22, pp. 2102–2108, 2009.
- J. A. Meyerhardt, E. L. Giovannucci, M. D. Holmes et al., “Physical activity and survival after colorectal cancer diagnosis,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 22, pp. 3527–3534, 2006.
- J. A. Meyerhardt, D. Heseltine, D. Niedzwiecki et al., “Impact of physical activity on cancer recurrence and survival in patients with stage III colon cancer: findings from CALGB 89803,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 22, pp. 3535–3541, 2006.
- A. M. M. Haydon, R. J. MacInnis, D. R. English, and G. G. Giles, “Effect of physical activity and body size on survival after diagnosis with colorectal cancer,” Gut, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 2006.
- K. Y. Wolin, A. V. Patel, P. T. Campbell et al., “Change in physical activity and colon cancer incidence and mortality,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 3000–3004, 2010.
- J. F. Sallis and B. E. Saelens, “Assessment of physical activity by self-report: status, limitations, and future directions,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 1–14, 2000.
- B. M. Lynch, N. Owen, B. Newman et al., “Reliability of a measure of prediagnosis physical activity for cancer survivors,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 715–719, 2006.
- D. E. R. Warburton, C. W. Nicol, and S. S. D. Bredin, “Health benefits of physical activity: the evidence,” CMAJ, vol. 174, no. 6, pp. 801–809, 2006.
- K. S. Courneya, C. M. Booth, S. Gill et al., “The colon health and life-long exercise change trial: a randomized trial of the National Cancer Institute of Canada clinical trials group,” Current Oncology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 279–285, 2008.