- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 342648, 8 pages
Time Course of the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in the Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty Rat
1Graduate School of Biomedical Science and Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul 133-792, Republic of Korea
2Department of Internal Medicine, Hanyang University College of Medicine, 17 Haengdang-dong, Sungdong-ku, Seoul 133-792, Republic of Korea
3Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Yanbian University, Yanji 133000, China
4Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hanyang University College of Medicine, Seoul 133-792, Republic of Korea
Received 7 January 2013; Revised 28 March 2013; Accepted 17 April 2013
Academic Editor: Fabio Marra
Copyright © 2013 Yi-Sun Song et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Marchesini, M. Brizi, G. Blanchi et al., “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a feature of the metabolic syndrome,” Diabetes, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1844–1850, 2001.
- P. Angulo, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 16, pp. 1221–1231, 2002.
- J. D. Browning, L. S. Szczepaniak, R. Dobbins et al., “Prevalence of hepatic steatosis in an urban population in the United States: impact of ethnicity,” Hepatology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1387–1395, 2004.
- E. Albano, E. Mottaran, G. Occhino, E. Reale, and M. Vidali, “Review article: role of oxidative stress in the progression of non-alcoholic steatosis,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 22, supplement 2, pp. 71–73, 2005.
- R. S. Rector, J. P. Thyfault, R. T. Morris et al., “Daily exercise increases hepatic fatty acid oxidation and prevents steatosis in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty rats,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 294, no. 3, pp. G619–G626, 2008.
- C. P. Day and O. F. W. James, “Steatohepatitis: a tale of two ‘hits’?” Gastroenterology, vol. 114, no. 4 I, pp. 842–845, 1998.
- M. K. Chae, S. G. Park, S. O. Song et al., “Pentoxifylline attenuates methionine- and choline-deficient-diet-induced steatohepatitis by suppressing TNF-α expression and endoplasmic reticulum stress,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 762565, 8 pages, 2012.
- M. S. Gauthier, R. Favier, and J. M. Lavoie, “Time course of the development of non-alcoholic hepatic steatosis in response to high-fat diet-induced obesity in rats,” The British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 273–281, 2006.
- Z. Ackerman, M. Oron-Herman, M. Grozovski et al., “Fructose-induced fatty liver disease: hepatic effects of blood pressure and plasma triglyceride reduction,” Hypertension, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1012–1018, 2005.
- S. S. Choi and A. M. Diehl, “Hepatic triglyceride synthesis and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 295–300, 2008.
- I. García-Ruiz, C. Rodríguez-Juan, T. Díaz-Sanjuan et al., “Uric acid and anti-TNF antibody improve mitochondrial dysfunction in ob/ob mice,” Hepatology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 581–591, 2006.
- T. S. Jung, S. K. Kim, H. J. Shin, B. T. Jeon, J. R. Hahm, and G. S. Roh, “α-lipoic acid prevents non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in OLETF rats,” Liver International, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1565–1573, 2012.
- K. Kawano, T. Hirashima, S. Mori, Y. Saitoh, M. Kurosumi, and T. Natori, “Spontaneous long-term hyperglycemic rat with diabetic complications: Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty (OLETF) strain,” Diabetes, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1422–1428, 1992.
- K. Shima, M. Zhu, and A. Mizuno, “Pathoetiology and prevention of NIDDM lessons from the OLETF rat,” Journal of Medical Investigation, vol. 46, no. 3-4, pp. 121–129, 1999.
- E. Shoji, T. Okumura, S. Onodera, N. Takahashi, K. Harada, and Y. Kohgo, “Gastric emptying in OLETF rats not expressing CCK-A receptor gene,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 915–919, 1997.
- S. Nomoto, M. Miyake, M. Ohta, A. Funakoshi, and K. Miyasaka, “Impaired learning and memory in OLETF rats without cholecystokinin (CCK)-A receptor,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 869–872, 1999.
- S. Takiguchi, Y. Takata, A. Funakoshi et al., “Disrupted cholecystokinin type-A receptor (CCKAR) gene in OLETF rats,” Gene, vol. 197, no. 1-2, pp. 169–175, 1997.
- S. Kurita, T. Takamura, T. Ota et al., “Olmesartan ameliorates a dietary rat model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis through its pleiotropic effects,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 588, no. 2-3, pp. 316–324, 2008.
- R. S. Rector, J. P. Thyfault, G. M. Uptergrove et al., “Mitochondrial dysfunction precedes insulin resistance and hepatic steatosis and contributes to the natural history of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in an obese rodent model,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 727–736, 2010.
- S. J. Yang, J. M. Choi, S. W. Chae et al., “Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ by rosiglitazone increases Sirt6 expression and ameliorates hepatic steatosis in rats,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e17057, 2011.
- J. E. Yeon, K. M. Choi, S. H. Baik et al., “Reduced expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α may have an important role in the development of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 799–804, 2004.
- Y. S. Seo, J. H. Kim, N. Y. Jo et al., “PPAR agonists treatment is effective in a nonalcoholic fatty liver disease animal model by modulating fatty-acid metabolic enzymes,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 102–109, 2008.
- S. J. Borengasser, R. S. Rector, G. M. Uptergrove, et al., “Exercise and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation for the treatment of hepatic steatosis in hyperphagic OLETF rats,” Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 2012, Article ID 268680, 12 pages, 2012.
- Z. Guo, S. Bu, Y. Yu et al., “Diazoxide prevents abdominal adiposity and fatty liver in obese OLETF rats at prediabetic stage,” Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 46–55, 2008.
- M. Uno, S. Kurita, H. Misu et al., “Tranilast, an antifibrogenic agent, ameliorates a dietary rat model of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 109–118, 2008.
- C. Kilkenny, W. J. Browne, I. C. Cuthill, M. Emerson, and D. G. Altman, “Improving bioscience research reporting: the arrive guidelines for reporting animal research,” PLoS Biology, vol. 8, no. 6, Article ID e1000412, 2010.
- D. Blom, T. T. Yamin, M. F. Champy et al., “Altered lipoprotein metabolism in P2Y13 knockout mice,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1801, no. 12, pp. 1349–1360, 2010.
- Y. M. Fan, O. T. Raitakari, M. Kähönen et al., “Hepatic lipase promoter C-480T polymorphism is associated with serum lipids levels, but not subclinical atherosclerosis: the cardiovascular risk in young finns study,” Clinical Genetics, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 46–53, 2009.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, A. S. Rudenski, B. A. Naylor, D. F. Treacher, and R. C. Turner, “Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- R. Out, M. Hoekstra, K. Habets et al., “Combined deletion of macrophage ABCA1 and ABCG1 leads to massive lipid accumulation in tissue macrophages and distinct atherosclerosis at relatively low plasma cholesterol levels,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 258–264, 2008.
- S. R. Rector, J. P. Thyfault, M. J. Laye et al., “Cessation of daily exercise dramatically alters precursors of hepatic steatosis in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty (OLETF) rats,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 586, part 17, pp. 4241–4249, 2008.
- T. H. Moran and S. Bi, “Hyperphagia and obesity in OLETF rats lacking CCK-1 receptors,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 361, no. 1471, pp. 1211–1218, 2006.
- N. Kanemoto, H. Hishigaki, A. Miyakita et al., “Genetic dissection of “OLETF”, a rat model for non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Mammalian Genome, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 419–425, 1998.
- Y. K. Oh, K. W. Joo, J. W. Lee et al., “Altered renal sodium transporter expression in an animal model of type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1034–1041, 2007.
- K. Sakano, M. Takahashi, M. Mutoh et al., “Enhanced thyroid carcinogenicity of N-nitrosobis(2-oxopropyl)amine in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty rats, a model of type II diabetes mellitus,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2193–2198, 2007.
- T. Matsuzaka, H. Shimano, N. Yahagi et al., “Crucial role of a long-chain fatty acid elongase, Elovl6, in obesity-induced insulin resistance,” Nature Medicine, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1193–1202, 2007.
- G. Musso, R. Gambino, and M. Cassader, “Recent insights into hepatic lipid metabolism in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD),” Progress in Lipid Research, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–26, 2009.
- Y. W. Kim, Y. M. Kim, Y. M. Yang et al., “Inhibition of SREBP-1c-mediated hepatic steatosis and oxidative stress by sauchinone, an AMPK-activating lignan in Saururus chinensis,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 567–578, 2010.
- Y. Han, Y. Joe, E. Seo et al., “The hyperleptinemia and ObRb expression in hyperphagic obese rats,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 394, no. 1, pp. 70–74, 2010.