- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 393015, 8 pages
Helicobacter pylori-Induced Chronic Gastritis and Assessing Risks for Gastric Cancer
1Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1425 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10029, USA
2Centre for Translational Research in Oncology (CITO) and Department of Hematology and Oncology, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Marcoleta 391, 8330074 Santiago, Chile
Received 27 December 2012; Accepted 25 February 2013
Academic Editor: N. Ananthakrishnan
Copyright © 2013 Gonzalo Carrasco and Alejandro H. Corvalan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Figura and G. Oderda, “Reflections on the first description of the presence of helicobacter species in the stomach of mammals,” Helicobacter, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 4–5, 1996.
- M. Kidd and I. M. Modlin, “A century of Helicobacter pylori. Paradigms lost—paradigms regained,” Digestion, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1998.
- R. Schindler, Gastritis, William Heinmann, London, UK, 1947.
- B. J. Marshall and J. R. Warren, “Unidentified curved bacilli in the stomach of patients with gastritis and peptic ulceration,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8390, pp. 1311–1315, 1984.
- B. C. Jacobson, J. M. Crawford, and F. A. Farraye, “GI tract endoscopic and tissue processing techniques and normal histology in surgical pathology of the GI tract,” in Liver, Biliary Tract and Pancreas, R. D. Odze and J. R. Goldblum, Eds., Elsevier, 2009.
- H. M. Malaty, “Epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 205–214, 2007.
- T. Shimizu, T. Akamatsu, H. Ota, and T. Katsuyama, “Immunohistochemical detection of Helicobacter pylori in the surface mucous gel layer and its clinicopathological significance,” Helicobacter, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 197–206, 1996.
- F. Carneiro, E. Fonseca, and M. Sobrinho-Simoes, “Epithelial degeneration induced by Helicobacter pylori,” Human Pathology, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1314–1315, 1992.
- K. M. Leung, P. K. Hui, W. Y. Chan, and T. M. M. Thomas, “Helicobacter pylori-related gastritis and gastric ulcer: a continuum of progressive epithelial degeneration,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 569–574, 1992.
- R. M. Genta, G. M. Lew, and D. Y. Graham, “Changes in the gastric mucosa following eradication of Helicobacter pylori,” Modern Pathology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 281–289, 1993.
- M. F. Dixon, R. M. Genta, J. H. Yardley, and P. Correa, “Classification and grading of gastritis. The updated Sydney system. International Workshop on the Histopathology of Gastritis, Houston 1994,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1161–1181, 1996.
- P. Correa, “Chronic gastritis: a clinico-pathological classification,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 504–509, 1988.
- P. Correa, C. Cuello, E. Duque, et al., “Gastric cancer in Colombia. III. Natural history of precursor lesions,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1027–1035, 1976.
- C. Cuello, P. Correa, W. Haenszel, et al., “Gastric cancer in Colombia. I. Cancer risk and suspect environmental agents,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1015–1020, 1976.
- W. Haenszel, P. Correa, C. Cuello, et al., “Gastric cancer in Colombia. II. Case control epidemiologic study of precursor lesions,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1021–1026, 1976.
- P. Correa, W. Haenszel, C. Cuello et al., “Gastric precancerous process in a high risk population: cohort follow-up,” Cancer Research, vol. 50, no. 15, pp. 4737–4740, 1990.
- H. Ohata, S. Kitauchi, N. Yoshimura et al., “Progression of chronic atrophic gastritis associated with Helicobacter pylori infection increases risk of gastric cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 138–143, 2004.
- V. Conteduca, D. Sansonno, G. Lauletta, S. Russi, G. Ingravallo, and F. Dammacco, “H. pylori infection and gastric cancer: state of the art (Review),” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 5–18, 2013.
- C. A. Gonzalez and A. Agudo, “Carcinogenesis, prevention and early detection of gastric cancer: where we are and where we should go,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 745–753, 2012.
- P. Correa and M. B. Piazuelo, “The gastric precancerous cascade,” Journal of Digestive Diseases, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 2–9, 2012.
- R. M. Delahay and M. Rugge, “Pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Helicobacter, vol. 17, supplement 1, pp. 9–15, 2012.
- C. A. González, C. Figueiredo, C. B. Lic et al., “Helicobacter pylori cagA and vacA genotypes as predictors of progression of gastric preneoplastic lesions: a long-term follow-up in a high-risk area in Spain,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 867–874, 2011.
- E. P. Saraga, D. Gardiol, and J. Costa, “Gastric dysplasia. A histological follow-up study,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 788–796, 1987.
- M. J. Coma del Corral, F. J. Pardo-Mindan, S. Razquin, and C. Ojeda, “Risk of cancer in patients with gastric dysplasia: follow-up study of 67 patients,” Cancer, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 2078–2085, 1990.
- H. K. Koch, M. Oehlert, and W. Oehlert, “An evaluation of gastric dysplasia in the years 1986 and 1987,” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 186, no. 1, pp. 80–84, 1990.
- J. L. Whiting, A. Sigurdsson, D. C. Rowlands, M. T. Hallissey, and J. W. L. Fielding, “The long term results of endoscopic surveillance of premalignant gastric lesions,” Gut, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 378–381, 2002.
- M. Rugge, M. Cassaro, F. Di Mario et al., “The long term outcome of gastric non-invasive neoplasia,” Gut, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1111–1116, 2003.
- K. C. R. B. Ramesar, D. S. A. Sanders, and D. Hopwood, “Limited value of type III intestinal metaplasia in predicting risk of gastric carcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 1287–1290, 1987.
- S. Silva, M. I. Filipe, and A. Pinho, “Variants of intestinal metaplasia in the evolution of chronic atrophic gastritis and gastric ulcer. A follow up study,” Gut, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1097–1104, 1990.
- T. Rokkas, M. I. Filipe, and G. E. Sladen, “Detection of an increased incidence of early gastric cancer in patients with intestinal metaplasia type III who are closely followed up,” Gut, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1110–1113, 1991.
- J. M. Conchillo, G. Houben, A. de Brune, and R. Stockbrügger, “Is type III intestinal metaplasia an obligatory precancerous lesion in intestinal-type gastric carcinoma?” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 307–312, 2001.
- L. Vannella, E. Lahner, and B. Annibale, “Risk for gastric neoplasias in patients with chronic atrophic gastritis: a critical reappraisal,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1279–1285, 2012.
- M. Rugge, A. Meggio, G. Pennelli et al., “Gastritis staging in clinical practice: the OLGA staging system,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 631–636, 2007.
- L. G. Capelle, A. C. de Vries, J. Haringsma, et al., “The staging of gastritis with the OLGA system by using intestinal metaplasia as an accurate alternative for atrophic gastritis,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 1150–1158, 2010.
- M. Rugge, M. de Boni, G. Pennelli et al., “Gastritis OLGA-staging and gastric cancer risk: a twelve-year clinico-pathological follow-up study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1104–1111, 2010.
- M. Rugge, J. G. Kim, V. Mahachai et al., “OLGA gastritis staging in young adults and country-specific gastric cancer risk,” International Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 150–154, 2008.
- G. N. Stemmermann, “Intestinal metaplasia of the stomach. A status report,” Cancer, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 556–564, 1994.
- M. Rugge, M. Fassan, M. Pizzi, G. Pennelli, D. Nitti, and F. Farinati, “Operative Link for Gastritis Assessment gastritis staging incorporates intestinal metaplasia subtyping,” Human Pathology, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1539–1544, 2011.
- M. Rugge, P. Correa, M. F. Dixon et al., “Gastric mucosal atrophy: interobserver consistency using new criteria for classification and grading,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 1249–1259, 2002.
- W. Yasui, K. Sentani, N. Sakamoto, K. Anami, Y. Naito, and N. Oue, “Molecular pathology of gastric cancer: research and practice,” Pathology, Research and Practice, vol. 207, no. 10, pp. 608–612, 2011.
- C. O. Gigek, E. S. Chen, D. Q. Calcagno, F. Wisnieski, R. R. Burbano, and M. A. Smith, “Epigenetic mechanisms in gastric cancer,” Epigenomics, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 279–294, 2012.
- A. H. Corvalan and M. J. Maturana, “Recent patents of DNA methylation biomarkers in gastrointestinal oncology,” Recent Patents on DNA and Gene Sequences, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 202–209, 2010.
- C. Zhao and X. Bu, “Promoter methylation of tumor-related genes in gastric carcinogenesis,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1271–1282, 2012.
- A. O. O. Chan, S. K. Lam, B. C. Y. Wong et al., “Promoter methylation of E-cadherin gene in gastric mucosa associated with Helicobacter pylori infection and in gastric cancer,” Gut, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 502–506, 2003.
- A. O. O. Chan and A. Rashid, “CpG island methylation in precursors of gastrointestinal malignancies,” Current Molecular Medicine, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 401–408, 2006.
- T. Maekita, K. Nakazawa, M. Mihara et al., “High levels of aberrant DNA methylation in Helicobacter pylori-infected gastric mucosae and its possible association with gastric cancer risk,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 3, part 1, pp. 989–995, 2006.
- R. Ohki, J. Nemoto, H. Murasawa et al., “Reprimo, a new candidate mediator of the p53-mediated cell cycle arrest at the G2 phase,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 30, pp. 22627–22630, 2000.
- B. G. Schneider, D. F. Peng, M. C. Camargo, et al., “Promoter DNA hypermethylation in gastric biopsies from subjects at high and low risk for gastric cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 127, no. 11, pp. 2588–2597, 2010.
- C. Bernal, F. Aguayo, C. Villarroel et al., “Reprimo as a potential biomarker for early detection in gastric cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 19, pp. 6264–6269, 2008.
- N. S. Sapari, M. Loh, A. Vaithilingam, and R. Soong, “Clinical potential of DNA methylation in gastric cancer: a meta-analysis,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 4, Article ID e36275, 2012.
- G. Carrasco, J. Diaz, J. R. Valbuena et al., “Overexpression of p73 as a tissue marker for high-risk gastritis,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 3253–3259, 2010.
- D. Faratian, “Systems pathology,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 12, supplement 4, article S4, 2010.
- A. I. Saeed, N. K. Bhagabati, J. C. Braisted et al., “TM4 microarray software suite,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 411, pp. 134–193, 2006.