- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 430438, 11 pages
The Relation between Obesity and Survival after Surgical Resection of Hepatitis C Virus-Related Hepatocellular Carcinoma
1Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Osaka Red Cross Hospital, 5-30 Fudegasaki-cho, Tennoji-ku, Osaka 543-0027, Japan
2Department of Surgery, Osaka Red Cross Hospital, 5-30 Fudegasaki-cho, Tennoji-ku, Osaka 543-0027, Japan
3Department of Pathology, Osaka Red Cross Hospital, 5-30 Fudegasaki-cho, Tennoji-ku, Osaka 543-0027, Japan
Received 2 February 2013; Accepted 2 April 2013
Academic Editor: Fabio Farinati
Copyright © 2013 Hiroki Nishikawa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Livraghi, H. Mäkisalo, and P. D. Line, “Treatment options in hepatocellular carcinoma today,” Scandinavian Journal of Surgery, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 22–29, 2011.
- C. R. de Lope, S. Tremosini, A. Forner, M. Reig, and J. Bruix, “Management of HCC,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 56, supplement 1, pp. S75–S87, 2012.
- H. B. El-Serag, “Hepatocellular carcinoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, pp. 118–1127, 2011.
- H. B. El-Serag, “Epidemiology of viral hepatitis and hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastroenterology, vol. 142, no. 6, pp. 1264–1273, 2012.
- T. Umemura, T. Ichijo, K. Yoshizawa, E. Tanaka, and K. Kiyosawa, “Epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinoma in Japan,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 44, no. 19, supplement, pp. 102–107, 2009.
- H. Nishikawa, Y. Osaki, R. Kita, et al., “Transcatheter arterial infusion chemotherapy prior to radiofrequency thermal ablation for single hepatocellular carcinoma reduces the risk of intrahepatic distant recurrence,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 903–909, 2012.
- W. P. Zhou, E. C. H. Lai, A. J. Li et al., “A prospective, randomized, controlled trial of preoperative transarterial chemoembolization for resectable large hepatocellular carcinoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 249, no. 2, pp. 195–202, 2009.
- E. E. Calle, C. Rodriguez, K. Walker-Thurmond, and M. J. Thun, “Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. Adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 17, pp. 1625–1638, 2003.
- E. Bugianesi, N. Leone, E. Vanni et al., “Expanding the natural history of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: from cryptogenic cirrhosis to hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastroenterology, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 134–140, 2002.
- M. P. Sang, K. L. Min, A. S. Soon, and H. Y. Young, “Impact of prediagnosis smoking, alcohol, obesity, and insulin resistance on survival in male cancer patients: National Health Insurance Corporation Study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 31, pp. 5017–5024, 2006.
- T. Utsunomiya, M. Okamoto, T. Kameyama et al., “Impact of obesity on the surgical outcome following repeat hepatic resection in Japanese patients with recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma,” The World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1553–1558, 2008.
- WHO, “Obesity-preventing and managing the global epidemic Report of WHO consultation on obesity,” Tech. Rep., Geneva, Switzerland, 1997.
- J. McCurry, “Japan battles with obesity,” The Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9560, pp. 451–452, 2007.
- Examination Committee of Criteria for “Obesity Disease” in Japan and Japan Society for the Study of Obesity, “New criteria for “obesity disease” in Japan,” Circulation Journal, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 987–992, 2002.
- K. Shiwaku, E. Anuurad, B. Enkhmaa, K. Kitajima, and Y. Yamane, “Appropriate BMI for Asian populations,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9414, pp. 157–163, 2004.
- K. G. Alberti and P. Z. Zimmet, “Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 539–553, 1998.
- J. Bruix and M. Sherman, “Management of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Hepatology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1208–1236, 2005.
- Liver Cancer Study Group of Japan, “The general rules for the clinical and pathological study of primary liver cancer,” The Japanese Journal of Surgery, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 98–129, 1989.
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement, “Management of hepatitis C: 2002,” Hepatology, vol. 36, supplement, pp. S3–S20, 2002.
- H. Marusawa, Y. Osaki, T. Kimura et al., “High prevalence of anti-hepatitis B virus serological markers in patients with hepatitis C virus related chronic liver disease in Japan,” Gut, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 284–288, 1999.
- D. B. Strader, T. Wright, D. L. Thomas, and L. B. Seeff, “Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C,” Hepatology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1147–1171, 2004.
- T. Akiyama, T. Mizuta, S. Kawazoe et al., “Body mass index is associated with age-at-onset of HCV infected hepatocellular carcinoma patients,” The World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 914–921, 2011.
- A. Delgado-Borrego, D. Healey, B. Negre et al., “Influence of body mass index on outcome of pediatric chronic hepatitis C virus infection,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 191–197, 2010.
- A. B. Siegel and A. X. Zhu, “Metabolic syndrome and hepatocellular carcinoma: two growing epidemics with a potential link,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 24, pp. 5651–5661, 2009.
- B. J. Veldt, W. Chen, E. J. Heathcote et al., “Increased risk of hepatocellular carcinoma among patients with hepatitis C cirrhosis and diabetes mellitus,” Hepatology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1856–1862, 2008.
- J. Shindoh, K. Hasegawa, Y. Inoue, et al., “Risk factors of post-operative recurrence and adequate surgical approach to improve long-term outcomes of hepatocellular carcinoma,” HPB, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 31–39, 2013.
- K. C. Lim, P. K. H. Chow, J. C. Allen et al., “Microvascular invasion is a better predictor of tumor recurrence and overall survival following surgical resection for hepatocellular carcinoma compared to the milan criteria,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 254, no. 1, pp. 108–113, 2011.
- S. Roayaie, I. N. Blume, S. N. Thung et al., “A system of classifying microvascular invasion to predict outcome after resection in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastroenterology, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 850–855, 2009.
- I. Ikai, S. Arii, M. Kojiro et al., “Reevaluation of prognostic factors for survival after liver resection in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in a Japanese nationwide survey,” Cancer, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 796–802, 2004.
- H. U. Lautz, O. Selberg, J. Körber, M. Bürger, and M. J. Müller, “Protein-calorie malnutrition in liver cirrhosis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 478–486, 1992.
- N. Nagasue, C. Yu-Chung, T. Fukuda et al., “Long-term oral administration of branched chain amino acids after curative resection of hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective randomized trial,” The British Journal of Surgery, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 1525–1531, 1997.
- A. K. Singal, D. H. Freeman Jr., and B. S. Anand, “Meta-analysis: interferon improves outcomes following ablation or resection of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 851–858, 2010.
- D. Dindo, M. K. Muller, M. Weber, and P. A. Clavien, “Obesity in general elective surgery,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9374, pp. 2032–2035, 2003.