- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 431231, 9 pages
Mucosal Barrier in Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease
National Medical University, Donetsk 83003, Ukraine
Received 4 February 2013; Accepted 9 April 2013
Academic Editor: Devendra Amre
Copyright © 2013 A. E. Dorofeyev et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. McGuckin, R. Eri, L. A. Simms, T. H. J. Florin, and G. Radford-Smith, “Intestinal barrier dysfunction in inflammatory bowel diseases,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 100–113, 2009.
- P. Dharmani, V. Srivastava, V. Kissoon-Singh, and K. Chadee, “Role of intestinal mucins in innate host defense mechanisms against pathogens,” Journal of Innate Immunity, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 123–135, 2009.
- S. K. Lindén, T. H. J. Florin, and M. A. McGuckin, “Mucin dynamics in intestinal bacterial infection,” PLoS ONE, vol. 3, no. 12, Article ID e3952, pp. 3952–3966, 2008.
- Y. S. Kim and S. B. Ho, “Intestinal goblet cells and mucins in health and disease: recent insights and progress,” Current Gastroenterology Reports, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 319–330, 2010.
- J. Perez-Vilar and R. L. Hill, “Mucin family of Glycoproteins,” in Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry, Lennarz and Lane, Eds., vol. 2, pp. 758–764, Academic Press, Oxford, UK, 2004.
- T. Shirazi, R. J. Longman, A. P. Corfield, and C. S. J. Probert, “Mucins and inflammatory bowel disease,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 76, no. 898, pp. 473–478, 2000.
- A. Handra-Luca, G. Lamas, J. C. Bertrand, and P. Fouret, “MUC1, MUC2, MUC4, and MUC5AC expression in salivary gland mucoepidermoid carcinoma: diagnostic and prognostic implications,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 881–889, 2005.
- R. J. Longman, R. Poulsom, A. P. Corfield, B. F. Warren, N. A. Wright, and M. G. Thomas, “Alterations in the composition of the supramucosal defense barrier in relation to disease severity of ulcerative colitis,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 1335–1348, 2006.
- C. K. Heazlewood, M. C. Cook, R. Eri et al., “Aberrant mucin assembly in mice causes endoplasmic reticulum stress and spontaneous inflammation resembling ulcerative colitis,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, article e54, pp. 0440–0460, 2008.
- Y. Hinoda, H. Akashi, T. Suwa, F. Itoh, M. Adachi, et al., “Immunohistochemical detection of MUC2 mucin core protein in ulcerative colitis,” Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, vol. 12, pp. 150–153, 1998.
- M. P. Buisine, P. Desreumaux, E. Leteurtre et al., “Mucin gene expression in intestinal epithelial cells in Crohn's disease,” Gut, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 544–551, 2001.
- M. Silverberg, J. Satsangi, T. Ahmad, I. Arnott, C. Bernstein, et al., “Toward an integrated clinical, molecular and serological classification of inflammatory bowel disease: report of a Working Party of the 2005 Montreal World Congress of Gastroenterology,” Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 19, Supplement, pp. 5–36, 2005.
- C. Abraham and J. H. Cho, “Inflammatory bowel disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, pp. 2066–2078, 2009.
- J. Satsangi, M. S. Silverberg, S. Vermeire, and J. F. Colombel, “The Montreal classification of inflammatory bowel disease: controversies, consensus, and implications,” Gut, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 749–753, 2006.
- R. B. Sartor and W. J. Sandborn, Kirsner’s Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Saundrs, London, UK, 6th edition, 2004.
- A. Dignass, A. G. Van, J. O. Lindsay, et al., “The second European evidence-based Consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn’s disease,” Journal of Crohn's and Colitis, vol. 4, pp. 28–62, 2010.
- J. Perez-Vilar, “Mucin granule intraluminal organization,” The American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 183–190, 2008.
- K. Kyo, T. Muto, H. Nagawa, G. M. Lathrop, and Y. Nakamura, “Associations of distinct variants of the intestinal mucin gene MUC3A with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease,” Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 5–20, 2001.
- B. Deplancke and H. R. Gaskins, “Microbial modulation of innate defense: goblet cells and the intestinal mucus layer,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1131S–1141S, 2001.
- E. Gaudier, A. Jarry, H. M. Blottière et al., “Butyrate specifically modulates MUC gene expression in intestinal epithelial goblet cells deprived of glucose,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 6, pp. G1168–G1174, 2004.
- J. H. Cho, “The genetics and immunopathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 458–466, 2008.
- M. Pera, J. Heppell, R. Poulsom, F. V. Teixeira, and J. Williams, “Ulcer associated cell lineage glands expressing trefoil peptide genes are induced by chronic ulceration in ileal pouch mucosa,” Gut, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 792–796, 2001.