- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 462891, 4 pages
Hyponatremia Is a Specific Marker of Perforation in Sigmoid Diverticulitis or Appendicitis in Patients Older Than 50 Years
1Department of General, Visceral, Vascular, and Thoracic Surgery, Hospital of Liestal of The University of Basel, Rheinstrasse 26, 4410 Liestal, Switzerland
2Department of General, Visceral and Trauma Surgery, Hospital Center of Oberwallis (SZO), Pflanzettastrasse 6, 3930 Visp, Switzerland
3Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Center of Oberwallis (SZO), Pflanzettastrasse 6, 3930 Visp, Switzerland
Received 2 December 2012; Revised 11 January 2013; Accepted 12 January 2013
Academic Editor: Paolo Gionchetti
Copyright © 2013 S. A. Käser et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. D. Podnos, J. C. Jimenez, and S. E. Wilson, “Intra-abdominal sepsis in elderly persons,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 62–68, 2002.
- G. J. McLaughlan, I. D. Anderson, I. S. Grant, and K. C. H. Fearon, “Outcome of patients with abdominal sepsis treated in an intensive care unit,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 524–529, 1995.
- S. A. Käser, G. Fankhauser, N. Willi, and C. A. Maurer, “C-reactive protein is superior to bilirubin for anticipation of perforation in acute appendicitis,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 45, no. 7-8, pp. 885–892, 2010.
- S. A. Käser, G. Fankhauser, P. M. Glauser, D. Toia, and C. A. Maurer, “Diagnostic value of inflammation markers in predicting perforation in acute sigmoid diverticulitis,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 2717–2722, 2010.
- C. Thompson and E. J. Hoorn, “Hyponatraemia: an overview of frequency, clinical presentation and complications,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 26, supplement 1, pp. S1–S6, 2012.
- A. A. Leung, F. A. McAlister, S. O. Rogers Jr., V. Pazo, A. Wright, and D. W. Bates, “Preoperative hyponatremia and perioperative complications,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 172, no. 19, pp. 1474–1481, 2012.
- R. M. Swart, E. J. Hoorn, M. G. Betjes, and R. Zietse, “Hyponatremia and inflammation: the emerging role of interleukin-6 in osmoregulation,” Nephron, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. p45–p51, 2011.
- T. Sharshar, A. Blanchard, M. Paillard, J. C. Raphael, P. Gajdos, and D. Annane, “Circulating vasopressin levels in septic shock,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1752–1758, 2003.
- V. Nair, M. S. Niederman, N. Masani, and S. Fishbane, “Hyponatremia in community-acquired pneumonia,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 184–190, 2007.
- S. H. Sigal, “Hyponatremia in cirrhosis,” Journal of Hospital Medicine, vol. 7, supplement 4, pp. S14–S17, 2012.
- K. D. Fairchild and T. M. O'Shea, “Heart rate characteristics: physiomarkers for detection of late-onset neonatal sepsis,” Clinics in Perinatology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 581–598, 2010.
- W. I. Liao, S. H. Tsai, S. J. Chu, C. W. Hsu, and Y. Y. Lin, “Acute ruptured appendicitis and peritonitis with pseudomyocardial infarction,” American Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 627.e5–627.e8, 2009.