- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 478349, 10 pages
Whipple’s Disease: Our Own Experience and Review of the Literature
2nd Department of Medicine-Gastroenterology, Charles University in Praha, Faculty of Medicine at Hradec Králové, University Teaching Hospital, 50005 Hradec Králové, Czech Republic
Received 3 March 2013; Accepted 22 May 2013
Academic Editor: Chris J. J. Mulder
Copyright © 2013 Jan Bureš et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. la Scola, F. Fenollar, P.-E. Fournier, M. Altwegg, M.-N. Mallet, and D. Raoult, “Description of Tropheryma whipplei gen. nov., sp. nov., the Whipple's disease bacillus,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1471–1479, 2001.
- G. H. Whipple, “A hitherto undescribed disease characterized anatomically by deposits of fat and fatty acids in the intestinal and mesenteric lymphatic tissues,” Bulletin of the Johns Hopkins Hospital, vol. 18, pp. 382–393, 1907.
- M. D. Apstein and T. Schneider, “Whipple’s disease,” Wellesley, 2013, http://www.uptodate.com/.
- J. W. Paulley, “A case of Whipple's disease (intestinal lipodystrophy),” Gastroenterology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 128–133, 1952.
- J. H. Yardley and T. R. Hendrix, “Combined electron and light microscopy in Whipple’s disease. Demonstration of “ bacillary bodies” in the intestine,” Bulletin of the Johns Hopkins Hospital, vol. 109, pp. 80–98, 1961.
- D. Raoult, M. L. Birg, B. la Scola et al., “Cultivation of the bacillus of Whipple's disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 9, pp. 620–625, 2000.
- J. S. Dumler, B. L. Baisden, J. H. Yardley, and D. Raoult, “Immunodetection of Tropheryma whipplei in intestinal tissues from Dr. Whipple's 1907 patient,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 14, pp. 1411–1412, 2003.
- C. A. Arnold, R. K. Moreira, D. Lam-Himlin, G. de Petris, and E. Montgomery, “Whipple disease a century after the initial description: increased recognition of unusual presentations, autoimmune comorbidities, and therapy effects,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1066–1073, 2012.
- G. T. Fantry, L. E. Fantry, and S. P. James, “Chronic infections of the small intestine,” in Textbook of Gastroenterology, T. Yamada, Ed., pp. 1225–1244, Willey-Blackwell, Chichester, UK, 5th edition, 2009.
- L. Amsler, P. Bauerfeind, C. Nigg, R. C. Maibach, R. Steffen, and M. Altwegg, “Prevalence of Tropheryma whipplei DNA in patients with various gastrointestinal diseases and in healthy controls,” Infection, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 81–85, 2003.
- F. Fenollar, X. Puéchal, and D. Raoult, “Whipple’s disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 1, pp. 55–66, 2007.
- R. C. Maibach, F. Dutly, and M. Altwegg, “Detection of Tropheryma whipplei DNA in feces by PCR using a target capture method,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 2466–2471, 2002.
- M. Maiwald, F. Schuhmacher, H.-J. Ditton, and A. von Herbay, “Environmental occurrence of the Whipple's disease bacterium (Tropheryma whippelii),” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 760–762, 1998.
- M. Schöniger-Hekele, D. Petermann, B. Weber, and C. Müller, “Tropheryma whipplei in the environment: survey of sewage plant influxes and sewage plant workers,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 2033–2035, 2007.
- F. Fenollar, M. Trani, B. Davoust et al., “Prevalence of asymptomatic Tropheryma whipplei carriage among humans and nonhuman primates,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 197, no. 6, pp. 880–887, 2008.
- F. Fenollar, A. K. Keita, S. Buffet, and D. Raoult, “Intrafamilial circulation of Tropheryma whipplei, France,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 949–955, 2012.
- T. Marth, M. Roux, A. von Herbay, S. C. Meuer, and G. E. Feurle, “Persistent reduction of complement receptor 3 α-chain expressing mononuclear blood cells and transient inhibitory serum factors in Whipple's disease,” Clinical Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 217–226, 1994.
- T. Marth, M. Neurath, B. A. Cuccherini, and W. Strober, “Defects of monocyte interleukin 12 production and humoral immunity in Whipple's disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 442–448, 1997.
- V. Moos, D. Kunkel, T. Marth et al., “Reduced peripheral and mucosal Tropheryma whipplei-specific Th1 response in patients with Whipple's disease,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 177, no. 3, pp. 2015–2022, 2006.
- T. Marth, N. Kleen, A. Stallmach et al., “Dysregulated peripheral and mucosal Th1/Th2 response in Whipple's disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 123, no. 5, pp. 1468–1477, 2002.
- G. Schoedon, D. Goldenberger, R. Forrer et al., “Deactivation of macrophages with interleukin-4 is the key to the isolation of Tropheryma whippelii,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 176, no. 3, pp. 672–677, 1997.
- N. L. Ectors, K. J. Geboes, R. M. de Vos et al., “Whipple's disease: a histological, immunocytochemical, and electron microscopic study of the small intestinal epithelium,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 73–79, 1994.
- M. Buňatová, O. Daum, J. Němcová, and Z. Chudáček, “Whipple’s disease,” Ceska a Slovenska Gastroenterologie a Hepatologie, vol. 60, pp. 169–172, 2006 (Czech).
- D. V. Durand, C. Lecomte, P. Cathébras, H. Rousset, and P. Godeau, “Whipple disease. Clinical review of 52 cases. The SNFMI Research Group on Whipple Disease. Société Nationale Française de Médecine Interne,” Medicine, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 170–184, 1997.
- I. Fernandez-Urien, C. Carretero, J. J. Sola et al., “Refractory Whipple's disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 521–522, 2007.
- H. J. Freeman, “Tropheryma whipplei infection,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 17, pp. 2078–2080, 2009.
- T. Marth and D. Raoult, “Whipple's disease,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9353, pp. 239–246, 2003.
- M. Kolek, B. Žaloudíková, T. Freiberger, and R. Brát, “Aortic and mitral valve infective endocarditis caused by Tropheryma whipplei and with no gastrointestinal manifestations of Whipple’s disease,” Klinická Mikrobiologie a Infekční lékařství, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 213–216, 2007 (Czech).
- E. D. Louis, T. Lynch, P. Kaufmann, S. Fahn, and J. Odel, “Diagnostic guidelines in central nervous system Whipple's disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 561–568, 1996.
- S. M. Love, L. Morrison, C. Appleby, and P. Modi, “Tropheryma whipplei endocarditis without gastrointestinal involvement,” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 161–163, 2012.
- T. Marth, “New insights into Whipple's disease—a rare intestinal inflammatory disorder,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 494–501, 2009.
- H. Riemer, R. Hainz, C. Stain et al., “Severe pulmonary hypertension reversed by antibiotics in a patient with Whipple's disease,” Thorax, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1014–1015, 1997.
- R. Rusina, O. Keller, R. Šíma, and J. Zámečník, “Peripheral neuropathy in Whipple’s disease: a case report,” Ceskoslovenska Patologie, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 97–99, 2012.
- G. Urbanski, P. Rivereau, L. Artru, F. Fenollar, D. Raoult, and X. Puéchal, “Whipple disease revealed by lung involvement: a case report and literature review,” Chest, vol. 141, no. 6, pp. 1595–1598, 2012.
- E. Ojeda, A. Cosme, J. Lapaza, J. Torrado, I. Arruabarrena, and L. Alzate, “Whipple's disease in Spain: a clinical review of 91 patients diagnosed between 1947 and 2001,” Revista Espanola de Enfermedades Digestivas, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 108–123, 2010.
- A. S. Alzahrani and M. Al Sheef, “Severe primary hyperparathyroidism masked by asymptomatic celiac disease,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 347–350, 2008.
- D. V. Durand, A. Gérard, and H. Rousset, “Neurological manifestations of Whipple disease,” Revue Neurologique, vol. 158, no. 10, pp. 988–992, 2002.
- K. Mori, I. Ando, and A. Kukita, “Generalized hyperpigmentation of the skin due to vitamin B12 deficiency,” Journal of Dermatology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 282–285, 2001.
- M. A. Marcial and M. Villafaña, “Whipple’s disease with esophageal and colonic involvement: endoscopic and histopathologic findings,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 263–266, 1997.
- C. Lozupone, A. Cota-Gomez, B. E. Palmer et al., “Widespread colonization of the lung by tropheryma whipplei in HIV infection,” The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 187, no. 10, pp. 1110–1117, 2013.
- V. Moos and T. Schneider, “Changing paradigms in Whipple's disease and infection with Tropheryma whipplei,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1151–1158, 2011.
- J. Bureš and S. Rejchrt, Eds., Small Bowel Investigation & Atlas of Enteroscopy, Grada Publishing, Praha, Czech Republic, 2001.
- K. Geboes, N. Ectors, H. Heidbuchel, P. Rutgeerts, V. Desmet, and G. Vantrappen, “Whipple's disease: endoscopic aspects before and after therapy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 247–252, 1990.
- S. Crane and W. Schlippert, “Duodenoscopic findings in Whipple's disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 248–249, 1978.
- R. D'Incà, A. Pagnan, M. G. Vettorato, G. Ingravallo, M. Rugge, and G. C. Sturniolo, “Whipple's disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 800–801, 2004.
- L. C. Fry, W. H. Curioso, A. J. Lazenby, and K. E. Mönkemüller, “Whipple’s disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 59, pp. 538–539, 2004.
- G. Gay and M. Delvaux, “Double balloon enteroscopy in Crohn's disease and related disorders: our experience,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 3, supplement, pp. S82–S90, 2007.
- H. Neumann, C. Neufert, M. Vieth, J. Siebler, K. Mönkemüller, and M. F. Neurath, “High-definition endoscopy with i-scan enables diagnosis of characteristic mucosal lesions in Whipple’s disease,” Endoscopy, vol. 44, supplement 2, pp. E217–E218, 2012.
- G. Gay, M. Delvaux, and M. Frederic, “Capsule endoscopy in non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs-enteropathy and miscellaneous, rare intestinal diseases,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 34, pp. 5237–5244, 2008.
- A. Zambelli, V. Villanacci, E. Buscarini et al., “Confocal endomicroscopic aspects in Whipple's disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 373–374, 2008.
- J. B. Gornals, N. Baixeras, M. J. Pales, R. Mast, and R. Pujol, “Diagnosis of Whipple's disease by EUS-guided-FNA and endoscopic biopsy at the same procedure,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 895–896, 2012.
- X. Sagaert, T. Tousseyn, G. de Hertogh, and K. Geboes, “Macrophage-related diseases of the gut: a pathologist’s perspective,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 460, no. 6, pp. 555–567, 2012.
- M. S. Cappell, M. Batke, and M. Amin, “Intestinal Mycobacterium avium complex infection initially misdiagnosed and mistreated as Whipple disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1090–1093, 2010.
- J. C. Poorman and R. M. Katon, “Small bowel involvement by Mycobacterium avium complex in a patient with AIDS: endoscopic, histologic, and radiographic similarities to Whipple's disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 753–759, 1994.
- A. Boulos, J.-M. Rolain, and D. Raoult, “Antibiotic susceptibility of Tropheryma whipplei in MRC5 cells,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 747–752, 2004.
- G. E. Feurle, N. S. Junga, and T. Marth, “Efficacy of ceftriaxone or meropenem as initial therapies in Whipple's disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 478–486, 2010.
- G. E. Feurle, V. Moos, H. Bläker et al., “Intravenous ceftriaxone, followed by 12 or three months of oral treatment with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole in Whipple’s disease,” Journal of Infection, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 263–270, 2013.
- T. Schneider, A. Stallmach, A. von Herbay, T. Marth, W. Strober, and M. Zeitz, “Treatment of refractory whipple disease with interferon-γ,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 129, no. 11, pp. 875–877, 1998.
- T. Schneider, V. Moos, C. Loddenkemper, T. Marth, F. Fenollar, and D. Raoult, “Whipple's disease: new aspects of pathogenesis and treatment,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 179–190, 2008.
- K. H. Wilson, R. Blitchington, R. Frothingham, and J. A. P. Wilson, “Phylogeny of the Whipple's-disease-associated bacterium,” The Lancet, vol. 338, no. 8765, pp. 474–475, 1991.
- A. Boulos, J. M. Rolain, M. N. Mallet, and D. Raoult, “Molecular evaluation of antibiotic susceptibility of Tropheryma whipplei in axenic medium,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 178–181, 2005.