- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 480325, 6 pages
The Frequencies of Gastroesophageal and Extragastroesophageal Symptoms in Patients with Mild Erosive Esophagitis, Severe Erosive Esophagitis, and Barrett’s Esophagus in Taiwan
1Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
2National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
3Division of Hepato-Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung City 833, Taiwan
4Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
5Department of Medical Education and Research, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
6Department of General Medicine, School of Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Received 29 May 2013; Accepted 5 July 2013
Academic Editor: Deng-Chyang Wu
Copyright © 2013 Sung-Shuo Kao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Vakil, S. V. Van Zanten, P. Kahrilas et al., “The Montreal definition and classification of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a global evidence-based consensus,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 1900–1943, 2006.
- J. Dent, “Patterns of lower esophageal sphincter function associated with gastroesophageal reflux,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 103, no. 5 A, pp. 29S–32S, 1997.
- P. Malfertheiner and B. Hallerbäck, “Clinical manifestations and complications of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD),” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 346–355, 2005.
- P. Jacob, P. J. Kahrilas, and A. Vanagunas, “Peristaltic dysfunction associated with nonobstructive dysphagia in reflux disease,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 939–942, 1990.
- R. J. Brzana and K. L. Koch, “Gastroesophageal reflux disease presenting with intractable nausea,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 126, no. 9, pp. 704–707, 1997.
- D. Jaspersen, M. Kulig, J. Labenz et al., “Prevalence of extra-oesophageal manifestations in gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: an analysis based on the ProGERD Study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1515–1520, 2003.
- F.-W. Wang, M.-S. Tu, H.-Y. Chuang, H.-C. Yu, L.-C. Cheng, and P.-I. Hsu, “Erosive esophagitis in asymptomatic subjects: risk factors,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1320–1324, 2010.
- D. A. Johnson and M. B. Fennerty, “Heartburn severity underestimates erosive esophagitis severity in elderly patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 660–664, 2004.
- A. J. Bredenoord, G. J. M. Hemmink, and A. J. P. M. Smout, “Relationship between gastro-oesophageal reflux pattern and severity of mucosal damage,” Neurogastroenterology and Motility, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 807–812, 2009.
- D. Levine, B. Hamelin, D. Magner, P. Rogers, R. Barret, and B. Joelsson, “Correlation between patient demographics and heartburn severity with Los Angeles (LA) classification of erosive esophagitis,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 94, p. 2591, 1999.
- A. J. P. M. Smout, “Endoscopy-negative acid reflux disease,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Supplement, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 81–85, 1997.
- R. Carlsson, J. Dent, R. Watts et al., “Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in primary care: an international study of different treatment strategies with omeprazole,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 119–124, 1998.
- T. K. Cheung, W. M. Wong, N. Y. H. Wong et al., “Symptom resolution does not predict healing of erosive oesophagitis in Chinese,” Digestion, vol. 75, no. 2-3, pp. 128–134, 2007.
- G. W. Falk, “Gastroesophageal reflux disease and Barrett's esophagus,” Endoscopy, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 109–118, 2001.
- J. Ronkainen, P. Aro, T. Storskrubb et al., “Prevalence of Barrett's esophagus in the general population: an endoscopic study,” Gastroenterology, vol. 129, no. 6, pp. 1825–1831, 2005.
- D. K. Rex, O. W. Cummings, M. Shaw et al., “Screening of Barrett's esophagus in colonoscopy patients with and without heartburn,” Gastroenterology, vol. 129, pp. 1825–1831, 2005.
- D. Armstrong, J. R. Bennett, A. L. Blum et al., “The endoscopic assessment of esophagitis: a progress report on observer agreement,” Gastroenterology, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 85–92, 1996.
- L. R. Lundell, J. Dent, J. R. Bennett et al., “Endoscopic assessment of oesophagitis: clinical and functional correlates and further validation of the Los Angeles classification,” Gut, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 172–180, 1999.
- R. E. Sampliner, “Updated guidelines for the diagnosis, surveillance, and therapy of Barrett's esophagus,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 8, pp. 1888–1895, 2002.
- A. J. Cameron, A. R. Zinsmeister, D. J. Ballard, and J. A. Carney, “Prevalence of columnar-lined (Barrett's) esophagus: comparison of population-based clinical and autopsy findings,” Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 918–922, 1990.
- B. Wallner, A. Sylvan, R. Stenling, and K.-G. Janunger, “The esophageal Z-line appearance correlates to the prevalence of intestinal metaplasia,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2000.
- A. Paull, J. S. Trier, and M. D. Dalton, “The histologic spectrum of Barrett's esophagus,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 295, no. 9, pp. 476–480, 1976.
- S. J. Spechler, “The columnar-lined esophagus: history, terminology, and clinical issues,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 455–466, 1997.
- M. G. Brandt, G. E. Darling, and L. Miller, “Symptoms, acid exposure and motility in patients with Barrett's esophagus,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2004.
- E. Savarino, R. Tutuian, P. Zentilin et al., “Characteristics of reflux episodes and symptom association in patients with erosive esophagitis and nonerosive reflux disease: study using combined impedance-pH off therapy,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 1053–1061, 2010.
- E. J. Ormseth and R. K. H. Wong, “Reflux laryngitis: pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 2812–2817, 1999.