- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 502153, 7 pages
A Pilot Study to Investigate the Role of Thymidylate Synthase as a Marker of Prognosis for Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Gastric and Gastro-Oesophageal Junction Adenocarcinoma
1Departments of Gastrointestinal Surgery and Histopathology, University Hospital of South Manchester, Manchester M23 9LT, UK
2Translational Radiobiology Group, School of Cancer and Enabling Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, UK
3Departments of Surgery and Histopathology, The University Hospital of South Manchester, Southmoor Road, Manchester M23 9LT, UK
Received 12 October 2012; Accepted 25 January 2013
Academic Editor: D. Fan
Copyright © 2013 A. Mirza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. van Cutsem, M. Dicato, R. Geva et al., “The diagnosis and management of gastric cancer: expert discussion and recommendations from the 12th ESMO/World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer, Barcelona, 2010,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 22, supplement 5, pp. v1–v9, 2011.
- T. D. Reid, L. N. Sanyaolu, D. Chan, et al., “Relative prognostic value of TNM7 vs TNM6 in staging oesophageal cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 842–846, 2011.
- B. Kayani, E. Zacharakis, K. Ahmed, et al., “Lymph node metastases and prognosis in oesophageal carcinoma—a systematic review,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 747–753, 2011.
- T. Sano, “Adjuvant and neoadjuvant therapy of gastric cancer: a comparison of three pivotal studies,” Current Oncology Reports, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 191–198, 2008.
- M. Motoori, M. Yano, T. Yasuda, et al., “Chemotherapy-induced toxicities and treatment efficacy in advanced esophageal cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by surgery,” Esophagus, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 81–87, 2010.
- K. R. Fareed, P. Kaye, I. N. Soomro et al., “Biomarkers of response to therapy in oesophago-gastric cancer,” Gut, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 127–143, 2009.
- D. Cunningham, W. H. Allum, S. P. Stenning et al., “Perioperative chemotherapy versus surgery alone for resectable gastroesophageal cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 1, pp. 11–20, 2006.
- Medical Research Council Oesophageal Cancer Working Party, “Surgical resection with or without preoperative chemotherapy in oesophageal cancer: a randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 359, no. 9319, pp. 1727–1733, 2002.
- D. B. Longley, D. P. Harkin, and P. G. Johnston, “5-fluorouracil: mechanisms of action and clinical strategies,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 330–338, 2003.
- H. R. Mellor and R. Callaghan, “Resistance to chemotherapy in cancer: a complex and integrated cellular response,” Pharmacology, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 275–300, 2008.
- J. X. Huang, F. Y. Li, W. Xiao et al., “Expression of thymidylate synthase and glutathione-s-transferase pi in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 34, pp. 4316–4321, 2009.
- R. Langer, K. Specht, K. Becker et al., “Comparison of pretherapeutic and posttherapeutic expression levels of chemotherapy-associated genes in adenocarcinomas of the esophagus treated by 5-fluorouracil- and cisplatin-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 191–197, 2007.
- D. H. Harpole Jr., M. B. Moore, J. E. Herndon et al., “The prognostic value of molecular marker analysis in patients treated with trimodality therapy for esophageal cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 562–569, 2001.
- S. Kamoshida, M. Suzuki, R. Shimomura et al., “Immunostaining of thymidylate synthase and p53 for predicting chemoresistance to S-1/cisplatin in gastric cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 277–283, 2007.
- Y. H. Cui, T. S. Liu, R. Y. Zhuang, H. J. Gao, and H. Li, “Polymorphism of thymidylate synthase gene and chemosensitivity of 5-fluorouracil regimen in metastatic gastrointestinal cancer,” Journal of Digestive Diseases, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 118–123, 2009.
- C. N. Yeh, S. M. Jung, T. W. Chen, T. L. Hwang, Y. Y. Jan, and M. F. Chen, “Expression of thymidylate synthase determines the response of gastric cancer patients undergoing gastrectomy to 5-fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 395, no. 3, pp. 217–225, 2010.
- D. Hua, Z. H. Huang, Y. Mao, and J. Z. Deng, “Thymidylate synthase and thymidine phosphorylase gene expression as predictive parameters for the efficacy of 5-fluorouraci-based adjuvant chemotherapy for gastric cancer,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 37, pp. 5030–5034, 2007.
- K. Becker, J. D. Mueller, C. Schulmacher et al., “Histomorphology and grading of regression in gastric carcinoma treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy,” Cancer, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 1521–1530, 2003.
- C. Y. Chen, Y.-L. Chang, J.-Y. Shih, et al., “Thymidylate synthase and dihydrofolate reductase expression in non-small cell lung carcinoma: the association with treatment efficacy of pemetrexed,” Lung Cancer, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 132–138, 2011.
- R. Langer, K. Ott, M. Feith et al., “High pretherapeutic thymidylate synthetase and MRP-1 protein levels are associated with nonresponse to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in oesophageal adenocarcinoma patients,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 503–508, 2010.
- S. Miyamoto, N. Boku, A. Ohtsu et al., “Clinical implications of immunoreactivity of thymidylate synthase and dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase in gastric cancer treated with oral fluoropyrimidine (S-1). Study Group of S-1 for Gastric Cancer,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 653–658, 2000.
- D. Edler, B. Glimelius, M. Hallström et al., “Thymidylate synthase expression in colorectal cancer: a prognostic and predictive marker of benefit from adjuvant fluorouracil-based chemotherapy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1721–1728, 2002.
- C. Aschele, D. Debernardis, G. Tunesi, F. Maley, and A. Sobrero, “Thymidylate synthase protein expression in primary colorectal cancer compared with the corresponding distant metastases and relationship with the clinical response to 5-fluorouracil,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 4797–4802, 2000.
- Y. C. Hu, R. A. Komorowski, S. Graewin et al., “Thymidylate synthase expression predicts the response to 5-fluorouracil-based adjuvant therapy in pancreatic cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 4165–4171, 2003.
- S. Popat, A. Matakidou, and R. S. Houlston, “Thymidylate-synthase expression and prognosis in colorectal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 529–536, 2004.
- D. Edler, M. Hallström, P. G. Johnston, I. Magnusson, P. Ragnhammar, and H. Blomgren, “Thymidylate synthase expression: an independent prognostic factor for local recurrence, distant metastasis, disease-free and overall survival in rectal cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1378–1384, 2000.
- L. X. Qiu, Q. Y. Tang, J. L. Bai et al., “Predictive value of thymidylate synthase expression in advanced colorectal cancer patients receiving fluoropyrimidine-based chemotherapy: evidence from 24 studies,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 123, no. 10, pp. 2384–2389, 2008.
- H. Kuramochi, K. Tanaka, D. Oh et al., “Thymidylate synthase polymorphisms and mRNA expression are independent chemotherapy predictive markers in esophageal adenocarcinoma patients,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 201–208, 2008.
- H. Takiuchi, S. Kawabe, M. Gotoh, et al., “Thymidylate synthase gene expression in primary tumors predicts activity of s-1-based chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer,” Gastrointestinal Cancer Research, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 171–176, 2007.
- Q. Zhang, Y. P. Zhao, Q. Liao et al., “Associations between gene polymorphisms of thymidylate synthase with its protein expression and chemosensitivity to 5-fluorouracil in pancreatic carcinoma cells,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 262–267, 2011.
- E. Goekkurt, S. Hoehn, C. Wolschke et al., “Polymorphisms of glutathione S-transferases (GST) and thymidylate synthase (TS)—novel predictors for response and survival in gastric cancer patients,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 281–286, 2006.
- B. R. Tan, F. Thomas, R. J. Myerson et al., “Thymidylate synthase genotype-directed neoadjuvant chemoradiation for patients with rectal adenocarcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 875–883, 2011.
- M. Vignoli, S. Nobili, C. Napoli et al., “Thymidylate synthase expression and genotype have no major impact on the clinical outcome of colorectal cancer patients treated with 5-fluorouracil,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 242–248, 2011.
- D. J. Yim, O. J. Kim, H. J. An et al., “Polymorphisms of thymidylate synthase gene - and -untranslated region and risk of gastric cancer in Koreans,” Anticancer Research, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 2325–2330, 2010.