- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 532013, 7 pages
Current Status of the Open Abdomen Treatment for Intra-Abdominal Infection
1Department of Gastrointestinal and Pancreatic Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-Sen University, 58 2nd Zhongshan Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510080, China
2Department of Surgery, Jinling Hospital, Medical School of Nanjing University, 305 East Zhongshan Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210002, China
Received 4 May 2013; Revised 31 August 2013; Accepted 15 September 2013
Academic Editor: Ioannis Pliakos
Copyright © 2013 Yujie Yuan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Campbell, M. Chang, T. Fabian et al., “Management of the open abdomen: from initial operation to definitive closure,” The American surgeon, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. S1–S22, 2009.
- M. F. Rotondo, C. W. Schwab, M. D. McGonigal et al., “'Damage control': an approach for improved survival in exsanguinating penetrating abdominal injury,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 375–382, 1993.
- J. Pujol, These Pour Le Doctorat En Medecine, U.E.R.X. Bichat, Paris, France, 1975.
- J. L. Regner, L. Kobayashi, and R. Coimbra, “Surgical strategies for management of the open abdomen,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 497–510, 2012.
- R. R. Ivatury, “Update on open abdomen management: achievements and challenges,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1150–1153, 2009.
- S. J. Bradley, G. J. Jurkovich, N. W. Pearlman, and G. V. Stiegmann, “Controlled open drainage of severe intra-abdominal sepsis,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 629–631, 1985.
- J. H. Duff and J. Moffat, “Abdominal sepsis managed by leaving abdomen open,” Surgery, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 774–778, 1981.
- A. I. Amin and I. A. Shaikh, “Topical negative pressure in managing severe peritonitis: a positive contribution?” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 27, pp. 3394–3397, 2009.
- M. Schmelzle, I. Alldinger, H. Matthaei et al., “Long-term vacuum-assisted closure in open abdomen due to secondary peritonitis: a retrospective evaluation of a selected group of patients,” Digestive Surgery, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 272–278, 2010.
- J. Horwood, F. Akbar, and A. Maw, “Initial experience of laparostomy with immediate vacuum therapy in patients with severe peritonitis,” Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 681–687, 2009.
- J. L. Garcia-Sabrido, J. M. Tallado, N. V. Christou, J. R. Polo, and E. Valdecantos, “Treatment of severe intra-abdominal sepsis and/or necrotic foci by an “open-abdomen” approach. Zipper and zipper-mesh techniques,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 152–156, 1988.
- R. R. Ivatury, K. A. Kolkman, and K. Johansson, “Management of open abdomen,” Acta clinica Belgica, no. 1, pp. 206–209, 2007.
- M. Schietroma, F. Piccione, F. Carlei, et al., “Peritonitis from perforated appendicitis: stress response after laparoscopic or open treatment,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 78, pp. 582–590, 2012.
- I. E. de Laet, M. Ravyts, W. Vidts, J. Valk, J. J. de Waele, and M. L. N. Malbrain, “Current insights in intra-abdominal hypertension and abdominal compartment syndrome: open the abdomen and keep it open!,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 393, no. 6, pp. 833–847, 2008.
- S. K. Shah, F. Jimenez, P. A. Letourneau et al., “Strategies for modulating the inflammatory response after decompression from abdominal compartment syndrome,” Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, vol. 20, article 25, 2012.
- A. de Costa, “Making a virtue of necessity: managing the open abdomen,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 356–363, 2006.
- S. Acosta, T. Bjarnason, U. Petersson et al., “Multicentre prospective study of fascial closure rate after open abdomen with vacuum and mesh-mediated fascial traction,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 735–743, 2011.
- G. S. diZerega, “Biochemical events in peritoneal tissue repair,” The European Journal of Surgery, no. 577, pp. 10–16, 1997.
- L. López-Quintero, G. Evaristo-Méndez, F. Fuentes-Flores, F. Ventura-González, and R. Sepúlveda-Castro, “Treatment of open abdomen in patients with abdominal sepsis using the vacuum pack system,” Cirugia y Cirujanos, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 322–326, 2010.
- Y. Yuan, J. Ren, W. Zhang, J. Chen, and J. Li, “The effect of different temporary abdominal closure materials on the growth of granulation tissue after the open abdomen,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 961–965, 2011.
- W. P. Schecter, R. R. Ivatury, M. F. Rotondo, and A. Hirshberg, “Open abdomen after trauma and abdominal sepsis: a strategy for management,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 203, no. 3, pp. 390–396, 2006.
- Y. Takizawa, H. Kishimoto, T. Kitazato, M. Tomita, and M. Hayashi, “Effects of nitric oxide on mucosal barrier dysfunction during early phase of intestinal ischemia/reperfusion,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 246–252, 2011.
- J. R. Turner, “Intestinal mucosal barrier function in health and disease,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 799–809, 2009.
- J. A. Morris Jr., V. A. Eddy, T. A. Blinman et al., “The staged celiotomy for trauma. Issues in unpacking and reconstruction,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 217, no. 5, pp. 576–584, 1993.
- A. Vertrees, D. Kellicut, S. Ottman, G. Peoples, and C. Shriver, “Early definitive abdominal closure using serial closure technique on injured soldiers returning from Afghanistan and Iraq,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 202, no. 5, pp. 762–772, 2006.
- F. J. Verdam, D. E. J. G. J. Dolmans, M. J. Loos et al., “Delayed primary closure of the septic open abdomen with a dynamic closure system,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 2348–2355, 2011.
- B. J. Tsuei, J. C. Skinner, A. C. Bernard, P. A. Kearney, and B. R. Boulanger, “The open peritoneal cavity: etiology correlates with the likelihood of fascial closure,” The American Surgeon, vol. 70, no. 7, pp. 652–656, 2004.
- D. Wondberg, H. J. Larusson, U. Metzger, A. Platz, and U. Zingg, “Treatment of the open abdomen with the commercially available vacuum-assisted closure system in patients with abdominal sepsis: low primary closure rate,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2724–2729, 2008.
- J. M. Nicholas, E. P. Rix, K. A. Easley et al., “Changing patterns in the management of penetrating abdominal trauma: the more things change, the more they stay the same,” The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1095–1110, 2003.
- D. E. Barker, H. J. Kaufman, L. A. Smith, D. L. Ciraulo, C. L. Richart, and R. P. Burns, “Vacuum pack technique of temporary abdominal closure: a 7-year experience with 112 patients,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 201–207, 2000.
- P. G. R. Teixeira, A. Salim, K. Inaba et al., “A prospective look at the current state of open abdomens,” The American Surgeon, vol. 74, no. 10, pp. 891–897, 2008.
- M. B. Shapiro, D. H. Jenkins, C. W. Schwab, and M. F. Rotondo, “Damage control: collective review,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 969–978, 2000.
- M. L. Cheatham, K. Safcsak, S. J. Brzezinski, and M. W. Lube, “Nitrogen balance, protein loss, and the open abdomen,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 127–131, 2007.
- A. J. Quyn, C. Johnston, D. Hall, et al., “The open abdomen and temporary abdominal closure systems: historical evolution and systematic review,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 14, pp. e429–e438, 2012.
- A. E. Salman, F. Yetisir, M. Aksoy, et al., Use of Dynamic Wound Closure System in Conjunction with Vacuum-Assisted Closure Therapy in Delayed Closure of Open Abdomen, Hernia, 2012.
- P. Padalino, G. Dionigi, G. Minoja et al., “Fascia-to-fascia closure with abdominal topical negative pressure for severe abdominal infections: preliminary results in a department of general surgery and intensive care unit,” Surgical Infections, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 523–528, 2010.
- I. Pliakos, T. S. Papavramidis, N. Mihalopoulos et al., “Vacuum-assisted closure in severe abdominal sepsis with or without retention sutured sequential fascial closure: a clinical trial,” Surgery, vol. 148, no. 5, pp. 947–953, 2010.
- G. M. Riha, L. N. Kiraly, B. S. Diggs, et al., “Management of the open abdomen during the global war on terror,” JAMA Surgery, vol. 148, pp. 59–64, 2013.
- M. Bjorck, “Vacuum and mesh-mediated fascial traction for primary closure of open abdomen in critically ill surgical patients,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 1732–1733, 2012.
- N. Goussous, B. D. Kim, D. H. Jenkins, et al., “Factors affecting primary fascial closure of the open abdomen in the nontrauma patient,” Surgery, vol. 152, pp. 777–783, 2012.
- M. Björck, A. Bruhin, M. Cheatham et al., “Classification-important step to improve management of patients with an open abdomen,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1154–1157, 2009.
- P. Boele van Hensbroek, J. Wind, M. G. W. Dijkgraaf, O. R. C. Busch, and J. Carel Goslings, “Temporary closure of the open abdomen: A systematic review on delayed primary fascial closure in patients with an open abdomen,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 199–207, 2009.
- G. L. Carlson, H. Patrick, A. I. Amin, et al., “Management of the open abdomen: a national study of clinical outcome and safety of negative pressure wound therapy,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 257, pp. 1154–1159, 2013.
- M. Scholtes, A. Kurmann, C. A. Seiler, D. Candinas, and G. Beldi, “Intraperitoneal mesh implantation for fascial dehiscence and open abdomen,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1557–1561, 2012.
- Y. Yuan, J. Ren, K. Yuan, et al., “The modified sandwich-vacuum package for fascial closure of the open abdomen in septic patients with gastrointestinal fistula,” The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, vol. 75, pp. 266–272, 2013.
- M. D'Hondt, D. Devriendt, F. van Rooy et al., “Treatment of small-bowel fistulae in the open abdomen with topical negative-pressure therapy,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 202, no. 2, pp. e20–e24, 2011.
- D. J. Worhunsky, G. Magee, and D. A. Spain, “Challenges in the management of the open abdomen,” ICU Director 4, 2013.
- A. Caro, C. Olona, A. Jiménez, J. Vadillo, F. Feliu, and V. Vicente, “Treatment of the open abdomen with topical negative pressure therapy: a retrospective study of 46 cases,” International Wound Journal, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 274–279, 2011.
- I. Pliakos, T. S. Papavramidis, N. Michalopoulos, et al., “The value of vacuum-assisted closure in septic patients treated with laparostomy,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 78, pp. 957–961, 2012.
- D. Demetriades, “Total management of the open abdomen,” International Wound Journal, vol. 1, supplement 9, pp. 17–24, 2012.
- W. P. Schecter, “Management of enterocutaneous fistulas,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 481–491, 2011.
- G. Wang, J. Ren, S. Liu, et al., ““Fistula patch”: making the treatment of enteroatmospheric fistulae in the open abdomen easier,” The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, vol. 74, pp. 1175–1177, 2013.
- C. C. Burlew, E. E. Moore, J. Cuschieri, et al., “Who should we feed? Western trauma association multi-institutional study of enteral nutrition in the open abdomen after injury,” The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, vol. 73, pp. 1380–1388, 2012.
- Y. Yuan, J. Ren, G. Gu, J. Chen, and J. Li, “Early enteral nutrition improves outcomes of open abdomen in gastrointestinal fistula patients complicated with severe sepsis,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 688–694, 2011.
- N. J. Powell and B. Collier, “Nutrition and the open abdomen,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 27, pp. 499–506, 2012.