- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 570180, 5 pages
Effect of Physician-Delivered Patient Education on the Quality of Bowel Preparation for Screening Colonoscopy
1Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
2Mackay Junior College of Medicine, Nursing and Management, Taipei, Taiwan
3Mackay Medical College, New Taipei, Taiwan
4Health Evaluation Center, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Received 23 October 2013; Accepted 1 December 2013
Academic Editor: Murtaza Arif
Copyright © 2013 Tze-Yu Shieh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. G. Zauber, S. J. Winawer, M. J. O'Brien et al., “Colonoscopic polypectomy and long-term prevention of colorectal-cancer deaths,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 8, pp. 687–696, 2012.
- R. M. Ness, R. Manam, H. Hoen, and N. Chalasani, “Predictors of inadequate bowel preparation for colonoscopy,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, pp. 1797–1802, 2001.
- R. V. Chokshi, C. E. Hovis, T. Hollander, D. S. Early, and J. S. Wang, “Prevalence of missed adenomas in patients with inadequate bowel preparation on screening colonoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 1197–1203, 2012.
- J. C. van Rijn, J. B. Reitsma, J. Stoker, P. M. Bossuyt, S. J. van Deventer, and E. Dekker, “Polyp miss rate determined by tandem colonoscopy: a systematic review,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 343–350, 2006.
- D. K. Rex, T. F. Imperiale, D. R. Latinovich, and L. L. Bratcher, “Impact of bowel preparation on efficiency and cost of colonoscopy,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 1696–1700, 2002.
- S. M. Madsen, P. Schlichting, B. Davidsen et al., “A patient education program is cost-effective for preventing failure of endoscopic procedures in a gastroenterology department,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 1786–1790, 2001.
- J. S. Park, C. I. Sohn, S. J. Hwang et al., “Quality and effect of single dose versus split dose of polyethylene glycol bowel preparation for early-morning colonoscopy,” Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 616–619, 2007.
- A. A. Siddiqui, K. Yang, S. J. Spechler et al., “Duration of the interval between the completion of bowel preparation and the start of colonoscopy predicts bowel-preparation quality,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 700–706, 2009.
- W.-K. Chan, A. Saravanan, J. Manikam, K.-L. Goh, and S. Mahadeva, “Appointment waiting times and education level influence the quality of bowel preparation in adult patients undergoing colonoscopy,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 11, article 86, 2011.
- F. Froehlich, V. Wietlisbach, J.-J. Gonvers, B. Burnand, and J.-P. Vader, “Impact of colonic cleansing on quality and diagnostic yield of colonoscopy: The European Panel of Appropriateness of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy European multicenter study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 378–384, 2005.
- E. H. Seo, T. O. Kim, M. J. Park et al., “Optimal preparation-to-colonoscopy interval in split-dose PEG bowel preparation determines satisfactory bowel preparation quality: an observational prospective study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 583–590, 2012.
- E. J. Lai, A. H. Calderwood, G. Doros, O. K. Fix, and B. C. Jacobson, “The Boston bowel preparation scale: a valid and reliable instrument for colonoscopy-oriented research,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 620–625, 2009.
- G. C. Hillyer, C. H. Basch, C. E. Basch et al., “Gastroenterologists' perceived barriers to optimal pre-colonoscopy bowel preparation: results of a national survey,” Journal of Cancer Education, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 526–532, 2012.
- S. A. Abbott, “The benefits of patient education,” Gastroenterology Nursing, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 207–209, 1998.
- J. M. Griffin, E. M. Hulbert, S. W. Vernon et al., “Improving endoscopy completion: effectiveness of an interactive voice response system,” American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 199–208, 2011.
- X. Liu, H. Luo, L. Zhang, et al., “Telephone-based re-education on the day before colonoscopy improves the quality of bowel preparation and the polyp detection rate: a prospective, colonoscopist-blinded, randomised, controlled study,” Gut, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 125–130, 2013.
- A. A. Shaikh, S. M. Hussain, S. Rahn, and D. J. Desilets, “Effect of an educational pamphlet on colon cancer screening: a randomized, prospective trial,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 444–449, 2010.
- B. M. R. Spiegel, J. Talley, P. Shekelle et al., “Development and validation of a novel patient educational booklet to enhance colonoscopy preparation,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 875–883, 2011.
- J. W. Tae, J. C. Lee, S. J. Hong, et al., “Impact of patient education with cartoon visual aids on the quality of bowel preparation for colonoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 804–811, 2012.
- A. H. Calderwood, E. J. Lai, O. K. Fix, and B. C. Jacobson, “An endoscopist-blinded, randomized, controlled trial of a simple visual aid to improve bowel preparation for screening colonoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 307–314, 2011.
- C. Modi, J. R. DePasquale, W. S. DiGiacomo et al., “Impact of patient education on quality of bowel preparation in outpatient colonoscopies,” Quality in Primary Care, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 397–404, 2009.
- C. Hassan, M. Bretthauer, M. F. Kaminski et al., “Bowel preparation for colonoscopy: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) guideline,” Endoscopy, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 142–150, 2013.
- A. Adler, K. Wegscheider, D. Lieberman et al., “Factors determining the quality of screening colonoscopy: a prospective study on adenoma detection rates, from 12,134 examinations (Berlin colonoscopy project 3, BECOP-3),” Gut, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 236–241, 2013.
- J. Belsey, C. Crosta, O. Epstein et al., “Meta-analysis: the relative efficacy of oral bowel preparations for colonoscopy 1985–2010,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 222–237, 2012.