- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 587574, 7 pages
Optimisation of Radiation Exposure to Gastroenterologists and Patients during Therapeutic ERCP
1Radiological Sciences Department, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University, P.O. Box 10219, Riyadh 11433, Saudi Arabia
2Radiology and Medical Imaging Department, College of Applied Medical Sciences, Salman bin Abdulaziz University, P.O. Box 422, Al-kharj 11942, Saudi Arabia
3Public Gastroenterology Department, University Hospital of Larissa, P.O. Box 1425, 41110 Larissa, Greece
4University Gastroenterology Department, University Hospital of Larissa, P.O. Box 1425, 41110 Larissa, Greece
5Radiology Department, University Hospital of Larissa, P.O. Box 1425, 41110 Larissa, Greece
6Medical Physics Department, University Hospital of Larissa, P.O. Box 1425, 41110 Larissa, Greece
Received 12 November 2012; Revised 18 January 2013; Accepted 4 February 2013
Academic Editor: Stuart Sherman
Copyright © 2013 Khalid Alzimami et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Varghese, R. P. Liddell, M. A. Farrell, F. E. Murray, D. H. Osborne, and M. J. Lee, “Diagnostic accuracy of magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography and ultrasound compared with direct cholangiography in the detection of choledocholithiasis,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2000.
- B. Jaume and V. Lorenzo-Zúñiga, “Radiation dose to patients during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography,” World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 140–144, 2011.
- A. Sulieman, G. Paroutoglou, A. Kapsoritakis et al., “Reduction of radiation doses to patients and staff during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography,” Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 2011.
- International Commission of Radiological Protection, “The 2007 Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection. ICRP publication 103,” Annals of the ICRP, vol. 37, no. 2–4, pp. 1–332, 2007.
- A. Sulieman, M. Elzaki, and M. Khalil, “Occupational exposure to staff during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in Sudan,” Radiation Protection Dosimetry, vol. 144, no. 1–4, pp. 530–533, 2011.
- L. T. Uradomo, E. M. Goldberg, and P. E. Darwin, “Time-limited fluoroscopy to reduce radiation exposure during ERCP: a prospective randomized trial,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 84–89, 2007.
- J. M. Dumonceau, F. J. Garcia-Fernandez, F. R. Verdun et al., “Radiation protection in digestive endoscopy: European Society of Digestive Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline,” Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 408–424, 2012.
- N. Campbell, K. Sparrow, M. Fortier, and T. Ponich, “Practical radiation safety and protection for the endoscopist during ERCP,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 552–557, 2002.
- C. J. Larkin, A. Workman, R. E. R. Wright, and T. C. Tham, “Radiation doses to patients during ERCP,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 161–164, 2001.
- E. Oztas, E. Parlak, F. Kucukay et al., “The impact of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography education on radiation exposure to experienced endoscopist: ‘trainee effect’,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1134–1143, 2012.
- V. Tsapaki, K. D. Paraskeva, N. Mathou et al., “Patient and endoscopist radiation doses during ERCP procedures,” Radiation Protection Dosimetry, vol. 147, no. 1-2, pp. 111–113, 2011.
- I. A. Tsalafoutas, K. D. Paraskeva, E. N. Yakoumakis et al., “Radiation doses to patients from endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography examinations and image quality considerations,” Radiation Protection Dosimetry, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 241–246, 2003.
- L. S. Naidu, S. Singhal, D. E. Preece, A. Vohrah, and D. E. Loft, “Radiation exposure to personnel performing endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 81, no. 960, pp. 660–662, 2005.
- N. Buls, J. Pages, F. Mana, and M. Osteaux, “Patient and staff exposure during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 75, no. 893, pp. 435–443, 2002.
- R. V. Cohen, M. A. Aldred, W. S. Paes, et al., “How safe is ERCP to the endoscopist?” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 615–617, 1997.
- F. C. Johlin, R. E. Pelsang, and M. Greenleaf, “Phantom study to determine radiation exposure to medical personnel involved in ERCP fluoroscopy and its reduction through equipment and behavior modifications,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 893–897, 2002.
- S. W. Mckeever, M. Miscovitch, and P. D. Townsend, Thermoluminescence Dosimetry Materials: Properties and Uses, Nuclear Technology Publishing, Ashford, UK, 1995.
- A. Sulieman, K. Theodorou, M. Vlychou et al., “Radiation dose measurement and risk estimation for paediatric patients undergoing micturating cystourethrography,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 80, no. 957, pp. 731–737, 2007.
- D. Hart, D. G. Jones, and B. F. Wall, “Normalised organ doses for medical X-ray examinations calculated using monte carlo techniques,” Tech. Rep. NRPB-SR262, NRPB, Chilton, Wis, USA, 1998.
- R. M. Mitchell and I. S. Grimm, “ERCP radiology basics,” Techniques in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 2003.
- N. W. Marshall, C. L. Chapple, and C. J. Kotre, “Diagnostic reference levels in interventional radiology,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 3833–3846, 2000.