- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 620707, 4 pages
Calprotectin Is a Useful Tool in Distinguishing Coexisting Irritable Bowel-Like Symptoms from That of Occult Inflammation among Inflammatory Bowel Disease Patients in Remission
1Department of Gastroenterology, Østfold Hospital Trust, 1603 Fredrikstad, Norway
2Department of Health Sciences, Østfold University College, K.G. Meldahlsvei 9, 1671 Kråkerøy, Norway
3Department of Research, Telemark Hospital Trust, 3710 Skien, Norway
4Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Oslo-Oslo University Hospital, 0450 Oslo, Norway
Received 19 November 2012; Accepted 17 January 2013
Academic Editor: Peter James Whorwell
Copyright © 2013 Lars-Petter Jelsness-Jørgensen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. V. Loftus, “Clinical epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease: incidence, prevalence, and environmental influences,” Gastroenterology, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 1504–1517, 2004.
- A. M. Schoepfer, M. Trummler, P. Seeholzer, B. Seibold-Schmid, and F. Seibold, “Discriminating IBD from IBS: comparison of the test performance of fecal markers, blood leukocytes, CRP, and IBD antibodies,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 32–39, 2008.
- J. Keohane, C. O'Mahony, L. O'Mahony, S. O'Mahony, E. M. Quigley, and F. Shanahan, “Irritable bowel syndrome-type symptoms in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a real association or reflection of occult inflammation,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 8, pp. 1789–1794, 2010.
- M. Simrén, J. Axelsson, R. Gillberg, H. Abrahamsson, J. Svedlund, and E. S. Björnsson, “Quality of life in inflammatory bowel disease in remission: the impact of IBS-like symptoms and associated psychological factors,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 389–396, 2002.
- A. G. Roseth, M. K. Fagerhol, E. Aadland, and H. Schjonsby, “Assessment of the neutrophil dominating protein calprotectin in feces. A methodologic study,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 793–798, 1992.
- R. S. Walmsley, R. C. S. Ayres, R. E. Pounder, and R. N. Allan, “A simple clinical colitis activity index,” Gut, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 29–32, 1998.
- R. F. Harvey and J. M. Bradshaw, “A simple index of Crohn's-disease activity,” The Lancet, vol. 315, no. 8167, pp. 514–515, 1980.
- W. G. Thompson, F. H. Creed, D. A. Drossman, K. W. Heaton, and G. Mazzacca, “Functional bowel disease and functional abdominal pain,” Gastroenterology International, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 75–91, 1992.
- M. K. Fagerhol, “Calprotectin, a faecal marker of organic gastrointestinal abnormality,” The Lancet, vol. 356, no. 9244, pp. 1783–1784, 2000.
- C. G. af Björkesten, U. Nieminen, U. Turunen, P. Arkkila, T. Sipponen, and M. Färkillä, “Surrogate markers and clinical indices, alone or combined, as indicators for endoscopic remission in anti-TNF-treated luminal Crohn’s disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 47, pp. 528–537, 2012.
- I. M. Minderhoud, B. Oldenburg, J. A. Wismeijer, G. P. Van Berge Henegouwen, and A. J. P. M. Smout, “IBS-like symptoms in patients with inflammatory bowel disease in remission; relationships with quality of life and coping behavior,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 469–474, 2004.
- S. Vermeire, G. Van Assche, and P. Rutgeerts, “Laboratory markers in IBD: useful, magic, or unnecessary toys?” Gut, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 426–431, 2006.
- J. Tibble, K. Teahon, B. Thjodleifsson et al., “A simple method for assessing intestinal inflammation in Crohn's disease,” Gut, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 506–513, 2000.
- R. D'Incà, E. Dal Pont, V. Di Leo et al., “Can calprotectin predict relapse risk in inflammatory bowel disease?” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 2007–2014, 2008.
- T. Sipponen, E. Savilahti, K. L. Kolho, H. Nuutinen, U. Turunen, and M. Färkkilä, “Crohn's disease activity assessed by fecal calprotectin and lactoferrin: correlation with Crohn's disease activity index and endoscopic findings,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2008.