- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 671576, 7 pages
Magnifying Endoscopic Findings Can Predict Clinical Outcome during Long-Term Follow-Up of More Than 12 Months in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis
1Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Nagasaki University Hospital, 1-7-1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852-8102, Japan
2Department of Pathology, Nagasaki University Hospital, Nagasaki 852-8102, Japan
Received 14 April 2013; Revised 4 September 2013; Accepted 4 September 2013
Academic Editor: Paolo Gionchetti
Copyright © 2013 Hajime Isomoto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. P. L. Travis, P. D. R. Higgins, T. Orchard et al., “Review article: defining remission in ulcerative colitis,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 113–124, 2011.
- F. Carbonnel, A. Lavergne, M. Lémann et al., “Colonoscopy of acute colitis. A safe and reliable tool for assessment of severity,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1550–1557, 1994.
- S. Kudo, S. Hirota, T. Nakajima et al., “Colorectal tumours and pit pattern,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 880–885, 1994.
- K. Gono, T. Obi, M. Yamaguchi et al., “Appearance of enhanced tissue features in narrow-band endoscopic imaging,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 568–577, 2004.
- H. Kanao, S. Tanaka, S. Oka, M. Hirata, S. Yoshida, and K. Chayama, “Narrow-band imaging magnification predicts the histology and invasion depth of colorectal tumors,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 631–636, 2009.
- Y. Nishio, T. Ando, O. Maeda et al., “Pit patterns in rectal mucosa assessed by magnifying colonoscope are predictive of relapse in patients with quiescent ulcerative colitis,” Gut, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1768–1773, 2006.
- C. Watanabe, M. Sumioka, T. Hiramoto et al., “Magnifying colonoscopy used to predict disease relapse in patients with quiescent ulcerative colitis,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1663–1669, 2009.
- M. Esaki, N. Kubokura, T. Kudo, and T. Matsumoto, “Endoscopic findings under narrow band imaging colonoscopy in ulcerative colitis,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 23, supplement 1, pp. 140–142, 2011.
- R. Kiesslich, C. A. Duckworth, D. Moussata et al., “Local barrier dysfunction identified by confocal laser endomicroscopy predicts relapse in inflammatory bowel disease,” Gut, vol. 61, pp. 1146–1153, 2012.
- S. A. Riley, V. Mani, M. J. Goodman, S. Dutt, and M. E. Herd, “Microscopic activity in ulcerative colitis: what does it mean?” Gut, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 174–178, 1991.
- H. Neumann, M. Vieth, M. F. Neurath, and R. Atreya, “Endocytoscopy allows accurate in vivo differentiation of mucosal inflammatory cells in IBD: a pilot study,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 19, pp. 356–362, 2013.
- M. Fujiya, Y. Saitoh, M. Nomura et al., “Minute findings by magnifying colonoscopy are useful for the evaluation of ulcerative colitis,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 535–542, 2002.
- M. Kunihiro, S. Tanaka, M. Sumii et al., “Magnifying colonoscopic features of ulcerative colitis reflect histologic inflammation,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 737–744, 2004.
- D. P. Hurlstone, D. S. Sanders, M. E. McAlindon, M. Thomson, and S. S. Cross, “High-magnification chromoscopic colonoscopy in ulcerative colitis: a valid tool for in vivo optical biopsy and assessment of disease extent,” Endoscopy, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1213–1217, 2006.
- M. B. Wallace and R. Keisslich, “Advances in endoscopic imaging of colorectal neoplasia,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 6, pp. 2140–2150, 2010.
- H. Neumann, F. S. Fuchs, M. Vieth et al., “Review article: in vivo imaging by endocytoscopy,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1183–1193, 2011.
- R. Kiesslich and M. F. Neurath, “Chromoendoscopy in inflammatory bowel disease,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 291–302, 2012.