- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 691026, 9 pages
Dietary Intake and Risk for Reflux Esophagitis: A Case-Control Study
1Department of Clinical Nutrition, Tongji Hospital of Tongji University, Shanghai 200065, China
2Department of Radiology, Tongji Hospital of Tongji University, Shanghai 200065, China
3Department of Preventive Medicine, Tongji University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200092, China
4Department of Gastroenterology, Tongji Hospital of Tongji University, Shanghai 200065, China
Received 17 October 2012; Revised 25 March 2013; Accepted 25 March 2013
Academic Editor: P. Marco Fisichella
Copyright © 2013 Ping Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. S. Sandler, J. E. Everhart, M. Donowitz et al., “The burden of selected digestive diseases in the United States,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 1500–1511, 2002.
- P. Wu, S. C. Xu, Y. Chen, F. F. Zheng, C. Wang, and L. W. Yao, “Evaluation of symptoms and quality of life of None-erosive reflux disease patients,” Chinese Journal of Digestive, vol. 28, pp. 706–709, 2008.
- R. Fass, “Erosive esophagitis and nonerosive reflux disease (NERD): comparison of epidemiologic, physiologic, and therapeutic characteristics,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 131–137, 2007.
- O. T. Nebel, M. F. Fornes, and D. O. Castell, “Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux: incidence and precipitating factors,” American Journal of Digestive Diseases, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 953–956, 1976.
- J. Dent, H. B. El-Serag, M. A. Wallander, and S. Johansson, “Epidemiology of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 710–717, 2005.
- K. L. Goh, C. S. Chang, K. M. Fock, M. Ke, H. J. Park, and S. K. Lam, “Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in Asia,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 230–238, 2000.
- H. J. Song, K. N. Shim, S. J. Yoon et al., “The Prevalence and clinical characteristics of reflux esophagitis in Koreans and its possible relation to metabolic syndrome,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 197–202, 2009.
- N. Furukawa, R. Iwakiri, T. Koyama et al., “Proportion of reflux esophagitis in 6010 Japanese adults: prospective evaluation by endoscopy,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 441–444, 1999.
- C. Yeh, C. T. Hsu, A. S. Ho, R. E. Sampliner, and R. Fass, “Erosive esophagitis and Barrett's esophagus in Taiwan. A higher frequency than expected,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 702–706, 1997.
- G. Pan, G. Xu, H. Guo, et al., “An epidemiologic study on symptomatic GER in Beijing and Shanghai,” Chinese Journal of Digestive, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 223–226, 1999.
- S. R. Lin, G. M. Xu, P. J. Hu, et al., “China consensus on gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Chinese Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, pp. 233–237, 2007.
- D. Sifrim and X. Zhang, “Pathophysiology of GERD in China: the same factors at a lower scale,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 2094–2097, 2004.
- C. Y. Niu, Y. L. Zhou, R. Yan, et al., “Incidence of gastroesophageal reflux disease in Uygur and Han Chinese adults in Urumqi,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, pp. 7333–7340, 2012.
- H. B. El-Serag, J. A. Satia, and L. Rabeneck, “Dietary intake and the risk of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a cross sectional study in volunteers,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 11–17, 2005.
- C. Pehl, A. Pfeiffer, A. Waizenhoefer, B. Wendl, and W. Schepp, “Effect of caloric density of a meal on lower oesophageal sphincter motility and gastro-oesophageal reflux in healthy subjects,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 233–239, 2001.
- M. Mangano, P. Colombo, P. A. Bianchi, and R. Penagini, “Fat and esophageal sensitivity to acid,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 657–660, 2002.
- G. R. Locke, N. J. Talley, S. L. Fett, A. R. Zinsmeister, and L. J. Melton, “Risk factors associated with symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 642–649, 1999.
- M. E. Moller, R. Dahl, and O. C. Bockman, “A possible role of the dietary fibre product, wheat bran, as a nitrite scavenger,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 841–845, 1988.
- M. Bouin, G. Savoye, S. Herve, M. F. Hellot, P. Denis, and P. Ducrotte, “Does the supplementation of the formula with fibre increase the risk of gastro-oesophageal reflux during enteral nutrition? A human study,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 307–312, 2001.
- I. Mohammed, P. Nightingale, and N. J. Trudgill, “Risk factors for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease symptoms: a community study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 821–827, 2005.
- M. Nilsson, R. Johnsen, W. Ye, K. Hveem, and J. Lagergren, “Prevalence of gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms and the influence of age and sex,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1040–1045, 2004.
- M. Nilsson, R. Johnsen, W. Ye, K. Hveem, and J. Lagergren, “Lifestyle related risk factors in the aetiology of gastrooesophageal reflux,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 1730–1735, 2004.
- L. R. Lundell, J. Dent, J. R. Bennett et al., “Endoscopic assessment of oesophagitis: clinical and functional correlates and further validation of the Los Angeles classification,” Gut, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 172–180, 1999.
- Chinese Nutrition Society, Chinese Dietary Guidelines, Tibet People's Publishing Company Press, Tibet, China, 2008.
- Y. X. Yang, G. Y. Wang, and X. C. Pan, Chinese Food Composition Table, Medical Department of Beijing University Press, Beijing, China, 2002.
- C. S. Chang, S. K. Poon, H. C. Lien, and G. H. Chen, “The incidence of reflux esophagitis among the Chinese,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 668–671, 1997.
- H. Hampel, N. S. Abraham, and H. B. El-Serag, “Meta-analysis: obesity and the risk for gastroesophageal reflux disease and its complications,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 199–211, 2005.
- B. C. Jacobson, S. C. Somers, C. S. Fuchs, C. P. Kelly, and C. A. Camargo, “Body-mass index and symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux in women,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 22, pp. 2340–2348, 2006.
- Y. Fujiwara, K. Higuchi, M. Shiba et al., “Differences in clinical characteristics between patients with endoscopy-negative reflux disease and erosive esophagitis in Japan,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 754–758, 2005.
- D. A. Corley, A. Kubo, and W. Zhao, “Abdominal obesity, ethnicity and gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 756–762, 2007.
- L. Piretta, F. Alghisi, F. Anzini, and E. Corazziari, “Prevalence of overweightedness in patients with gastro-esophageal reflux,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 34, pp. 4602–4605, 2007.
- H. B. El-Serag, D. Y. Graham, J. A. Satia, and L. Rabeneck, “Obesity is an independent risk factor for GERD symptoms and erosive esophagitis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1243–1250, 2005.
- M. Shapiro, C. Green, J. M. Bautista et al., “Assessment of dietary nutrients that influence perception of intra-oesophageal acid reflux events in patients with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 93–101, 2007.
- M. Fox, C. Barr, S. Nolan, M. Lomer, A. Anggiansah, and T. Wong, “The effects of dietary fat and calorie density on esophageal acid exposure and reflux symptoms,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 439.e1–444.e1, 2007.
- A. Kubo, T. R. Levin, G. Block et al., “Dietary antioxidants, fruits, and vegetables and the risk of barrett's esophagus,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 1614–1623, 2008.
- P. J. Veugelers, G. A. Porter, D. L. Guernsey, and A. G. Casson, “Obesity and lifestyle risk factors for gastroesophageal reflux disease, Barrett esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma,” Diseases of the Esophagus, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 321–328, 2006.
- J. V. Schonfeld and D. F. Evans, “Fat, spices and gastro-oesophageal reflux,” Zeitschrift fur Gastroenterologie, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 2007.
- R. Penagini, “Fat and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1343–1345, 2000.
- D. O. Castell, J. A. Murray, R. Tutuian, R. C. Orlando, and R. Arnold, “Review article: the pathophysiology of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease—oesophageal manifestations,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Supplement, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 14–25, 2004.
- R. Vemulapalli, “Diet and lifestyle modifications in the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 293–298, 2008.
- M. S. Rosaida and K. L. Goh, “Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, reflux oesophagitis and non-erosive reflux disease in a multiracial Asian population: a prospective, endoscopy based study,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 495–501, 2004.
- C. O'Leary, J. McCarthy, M. Humphries, F. Shanahan, and E. Quigley, “The prophylactic use of a proton pump inhibitor before food and alcohol,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 683–686, 2003.
- J. H. Wang, J. Y. Lou, L. Dong, J. Gong, and M. Tong, “Epidemiology of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a general population-based study in Xi'an of Northwest China,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1647–1651, 2004.
- C. Pehl, B. Wendl, and A. Pfeiffer, “White wine and beer induce gastro-oesophageal reflux in patients with reflux disease,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1581–1586, 2006.
- I. Mohammed, “Are diet and physical activity risk factors for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease symptoms: a study of discordant twins?” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 1128, p. M1760, 2005.
- T. Tanaka, A. Mizumoto, S. Muramatsu et al., “Postprandial normal saline intake delays gastric emptying of solids in conscious dogs: partial involvement of CCK in its mechanism,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1516–1524, 1999.
- M. C. Aanen, A. J. Bredenoord, and A. J. P. M. Smout, “Effect of dietary sodium chloride on gastro-oesophageal reflux: a randomized controlled trial,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1141–1146, 2006.
- A Mizuta, K. Adachi, K. Furuta, et al., “Different sex-related influences of eating habits on the prevalence of reflux esophagitis in Japanese,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1060–1064, 2011.
- J. A. Levant, J. H. Walsh, and J. I. Isenberg, “Stimulation of gastric secretion and gastrin release by single oral doses of calcium carbonate in man,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 289, no. 11, pp. 555–558, 1973.
- M. K. Floor, S. Jahangeer, C. D'Ambrosio, and O. Alabaster, “Serum gastrin increases with increasing dietary calcium but not with increasing dietary fat or fiber in Fischer-344 rats,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 863–868, 1991.