- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 730829, 6 pages
Negative Pressure Wound Therapy for the Treatment of the Open Abdomen and Incidence of Enteral Fistulas: A Retrospective Bicentre Analysis
1Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, Fürst-Stirum-Klinik, 76646 Bruchsal, Germany
2Department of General, Visceral, Vascular and Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital of Saarland, 66421 Homburg, Germany
3Department of General and Visceral Surgery, Barmherzige Brüder Hospital, 80639 Munich, Germany
Received 5 June 2013; Accepted 6 September 2013
Academic Editor: Rao R. Ivatury
Copyright © 2013 Sven Richter et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Boele van Hensbroek, J. Wind, M. G. W. Dijkgraaf, O. R. C. Busch, and J. Carel Goslings, “Temporary closure of the open abdomen: a systematic review on delayed primary fascial closure in patients with an open abdomen,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 199–207, 2009.
- A. Campbell, M. Chang, T. Fabian et al., “Management of the open abdomen: from initial operation to definitive closure,” The American Surgeon, vol. 75, no. 11, supplement, pp. S1–S22, 2009.
- M. Kaplan, P. Banwell, D. P. Orgill et al., “Guidelines for the management of the open abdomen,” Wounds, vol. 17, supplement 1, pp. 1–24, 2005.
- M. Falconi and P. Pederzoli, “The relevance of gastrointestinal fistulae in clinical practice: a review,” Gut, vol. 49, supplement 4, pp. iv2–iv10, 2001.
- B. Hahler, D. Schassberger, R. Novakovic, and S. Lang, “Managing complex, high-output, enterocutaneous fistulas: a case study,” Ostomy Wound Management, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 30–42, 2009.
- S. Sriussadaporn, R. Pak-Art, and S. Bunjongsat, “Immediate closure of the open abdomen with bilateral bipedicle anterior abdominal skin flaps and subsequent retrorectus prosthetic mesh repair of the late giant ventral hernias,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1083–1089, 2003.
- N. Goussous, B. D. Kim, D. H. Jenkins, and M. D. Zielinski, “Factors affecting primary fascial closure of the open abdomen in the nontrauma patient,” Surgery, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 777–784, 2012.
- M. Kaplan, “Managing the open abdomen,” Ostomy Wound Management, vol. 50, no. 1A, supplement, pp. C2–C8, 2004.
- M. B. Shapiro, D. H. Jenkins, C. W. Schwab, and M. F. Rotondo, “Damage control: collective review,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 969–978, 2000.
- R. R. Martin and M. Byrne, “Postoperative care and complications of damage control surgery,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 929–942, 1997.
- J. M. Llop, S. Cobo, A. Padulles, L. Farran, R. Jódar, and M. B. Badia, “Nutritional support and risk factors of appearance of enterocutaneous fistulas,” Nutrición Hospitalaria, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 213–218, 2012.
- A. C. Lynch, C. P. Delaney, A. J. Senagore, J. T. Connor, F. H. Remzi, and V. W. Fazio, “Clinical outcome and factors predictive of recurrence after enterocutaneous fistula surgery,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 240, no. 5, pp. 825–831, 2004.
- D. Demetriades, “Total management of the open abdomen,” International Wound Journal, vol. 9, supplement 1, pp. 17–24, 2012.
- M. Schmelzle, I. Alldinger, H. Matthaei et al., “Long-term vacuum-assisted closure in open abdomen due to secondary peritonitis: a retrospective evaluation of a selected group of patients,” Digestive Surgery, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 272–278, 2010.
- R. R. Ivatury, “Update on open abdomen management: achievements and challenges,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1150–1153, 2009.
- R. J. Hannon, J. M. Hood, and R. C. Curry, “Temporary abdominal closure: a new product,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 79, no. 8, pp. 820–821, 1992.
- T. W. Jernigan, T. C. Fabian, M. A. Croce et al., “Staged management of giant abdominal wall defects: acute and long-term results,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 238, no. 3, pp. 349–357, 2003.
- L. Fernandez, S. Norwood, R. Roettger, and H. E. Wilkins III, “Temporary intravenous bag silo closure in severe abdominal trauma,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 258–260, 1996.
- M. E. Franklin, A. Alvarez, and K. Russek, “Negative pressure therapy: a viable option for general surgical management of the open abdomen,” Surgical Innovation, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 353–363, 2012.
- C. C. Cothren, E. E. Moore, J. L. Johnson, J. B. Moore, and J. M. Burch, “One hundred percent fascial approximation with sequential abdominal closure of the open abdomen,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 238–242, 2006.
- G. B. Garner, D. N. Ware, C. S. Cocanour et al., “Vacuum-assisted wound closure provides early fascial reapproximation in trauma patients with open abdomens,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 630–638, 2001.
- P. R. Miller, J. W. Meredith, J. C. Johnson, and M. C. Chang, “Prospective evaluation of vacuum-assisted fascial closure after open abdomen: planned ventral hernia rate is substantially reduced,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 239, no. 5, pp. 608–614, 2004.
- P. R. Miller, J. T. Thompson, B. J. Faler, J. W. Meredith, and M. C. Chang, “Late fascial closure in lieu of ventral hernia: the next step in open abdomen management,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 843–849, 2002.
- D. Perez, S. Wildi, N. Demartines, M. Bramkamp, C. Koehler, and P.-A. Clavien, “Prospective evaluation of vacuum-assisted closure in abdominal compartment syndrome and severe abdominal sepsis,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 205, no. 4, pp. 586–592, 2007.
- C. E. Stonerock, R. P. Bynoe, M. J. Yost, and J. M. Nottingham, “Use of a vacuum-assisted device to facilitate abdominal closure,” American Surgeon, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 1030–1034, 2003.
- D. E. Barker, J. M. Green, R. A. Maxwell et al., “Experience with vacuum-pack temporary abdominal wound closure in 258 trauma and general and vascular surgical patients,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 204, no. 5, pp. 784–792, 2007.
- D. E. Barker, H. J. Kaufman, L. A. Smith, D. L. Ciraulo, C. L. Richart, and R. P. Burns, “Vacuum pack technique of temporary abdominal closure: a 7-year experience with 112 patients,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 201–207, 2000.
- T. K. Bee, M. A. Croce, L. J. Magnotti et al., “Temporary abdominal closure techniques: a prospective randomized trial comparing polyglactin 910 mesh and vacuum-assisted closure,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 337–342, 2008.
- L. N. Tremblay, D. V. Feliciano, J. Schmidt et al., “Skin only or silo closure in the critically ill patient with an open abdomen,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 670–675, 2001.
- F. Herrle, T. Hasenberg, B. Fini et al., “Open abdomen 2009: a national survey of open abdomen treatment in Germany,” Chirurg, vol. 82, no. 8, pp. 684–690, 2011.
- A. J. Quyn, C. Johnston, D. Hall, et al., “The open abdomen and temporary abdominal closure systems—historical evolution and systematic review,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. e429–e438, 2011.
- S. Acosta, T. Bjarnason, U. Petersson et al., “Multicentre prospective study of fascial closure rate after open abdomen with vacuum and mesh-mediated fascial traction,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 735–743, 2011.
- M. Rao, D. Burke, P. J. Finan, and P. M. Sagar, “The use of vacuum-assisted closure of abdominal wounds: a word of caution,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 266–268, 2007.
- Excellence NIfHaC: Clinical guideline IPG322, “Negative pressure wound therapy for the open abdomen,” 2009, http://guidance.nice.org.uk/IPG322/Guidance/pdf/English.
- G. E. Glass and J. Nanchahal, “The methodology of negative pressure wound therapy: separating fact from fiction,” Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 989–1001, 2012.
- J. E. Fitzgerald, S. Gupta, S. Masterson, and H. H. Sigurdsson, “Laparostomy management using the ABThera open abdomen negative pressure therapy system in a grade IV open abdomen secondary to acute pancreatitis,” International Wound Journal, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 138–144, 2013.
- P. H. Navsaria, M. Bunting, J. Omoshoro-Jones, A. J. Nicol, and D. Kahn, “Temporary closure of open abdominal wounds by the modified sandwich-vacuum pack technique,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 718–722, 2003.
- A. L. Adkins, J. Robbins, M. Villalba, P. Bendick, and C. J. Shanley, “Open abdomen management of intra-abdominal sepsis,” American Surgeon, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 137–140, 2004.
- A. J. Fieger, F. Schwatlo, D. F.-X. Mündel et al., “Abdominal vacuum therapy for the open abdomen—a retrospective analysis of 82 consecutive patients,” Zentralblatt für Chirurgie, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 56–60, 2011.
- W. Kneist, V. Juhre, and H. Lang, “Intestinale Fisteln bei Therapieverfahren am offenen Abdomen—Ergebnisse einer retrospektiven Analyse von 50 konsekutiven Patienten,” Zeitschrift für Gastroenterologie, vol. 50, no. 8, p. K335, 2012.
- M. R. Moussavian, S. Richter, O. Kollmar, J. Schuld, and M. K. Schilling, “Staged lavage versus single high-volume lavage in the treatment of feculent/purulent peritonitis: a matched pair analysis,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 394, no. 2, pp. 215–220, 2009.
- T. Bjarnason, A. Montgomery, J. Hlebowicz, S. Lindstedt, and U. Petersson, “Pressure at the bowel surface during topical negative pressure therapy of the open abdomen: an experimental study in a porcine model,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 917–923, 2011.