- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 736486, 5 pages
Extraesophageal Reflux: What Is the Best Parameter for pH-Monitoring Data Analysis from the Perspective of Patient Response to Proton Pump Inhibitors?
1Department of Otolaryngology, University Hospital Ostrava, 17 Listopadu 1790, 708 52 Ostrava, Czech Republic
2Faculty of Medicine, University of Ostrava, Syllabova 19, 703 00 Ostrava, Czech Republic
3ENT University Department, Medical School, Comenius University, Bratislava, Antolska 11, 85107 Bratislava, Slovakia
4University Hospital of Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry CV2 2DX, UK
Received 18 November 2012; Revised 15 December 2012; Accepted 19 December 2012
Academic Editor: Fernando A. M. Herbella
Copyright © 2013 Karol Zelenik et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. N. Postma, “Ambulatory pH monitoring methodology,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 184, pp. 10–14, 2000.
- P. Jecker, R. Schuon, C. Morales, M. Wohlfeil, S. Rassouli, and W. J. Mann, “Normalwertbestimmung des extraösophagealen Reflux (EER) in der 24 h-2-Kanal-pH-Metrie,” HNO, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 1040–1045, 2008.
- O. Reichel and W. J. Issing, “Impact of different pH thresholds for 24-hour dual probe pH monitoring in patients with suspected laryngopharyngeal reflux,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 485–489, 2008.
- D. A. Vincent Jr, J. D. Garrett, S. L. Radionoff, L. A. Reussner, and C. R. Stasney, “The proximal probe in esophageal pH monitoring: development of a normative database,” Journal of Voice, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 247–254, 2000.
- M. Bove, M. Ruth, L. Cange, and I. Månsson, “24 H pharyngeal pH monitoring in healthy volunteers: a normative study,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 234–241, 2000.
- B. E. Richardson, B. M. Heywood, H. S. Sims, J. Stoner, and D. A. Leopold, “Laryngopharyngeal reflux: trends in diagnostic interpretation criteria,” Dysphagia, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 248–255, 2004.
- S. Tauber, M. Gross, and W. J. Issing, “Association of laryngopharyngeal symptoms with gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Laryngoscope, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 879–886, 2002.
- G. J. Wiener, J. A. Koufman, W. C. Wu, J. B. Cooper, J. E. Richter, and D. O. Castell, “Chronic hoarseness secondary to gastroesophageal reflux disease: documentation with 24 h ambulatory pH monitoring,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 1503–1508, 1989.
- M. F. Vaezi, “CON: treatment with PPIs should not be preceded by pH monitoring in patients suspected of laryngeal reflux,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 8–10, 2006.
- K. W. Altman and J. A. Radosevich, “Unexpected consequences of proton pump inhibitor use,” Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 141, no. 5, pp. 564–566, 2009.
- P. C. Belafsky, “PRO: empiric treatment with PPIs is not appropriate without testing,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 6–8, 2006.
- A. L. Merati, S. O. Ulualp, H. J. Lim, and R. J. Toohill, “Meta-analysis of upper probe measurements in normal subjects and patients with laryngopharyngeal reflux,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 177–182, 2005.
- J. Hartman, “Adult laryngopharyngeal reflux,” in Evidence-Based Otolaryngology, J. Shin, C. Hartnick, and G. Randolph, Eds., pp. 517–524, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- J. P. Noordzij, A. Khidr, B. A. Evans et al., “Evaluation of omeprazole in the treatment of reflux laryngitis: a prospective, placebo-controlled, randomized, double-blind study,” Laryngoscope, vol. 111, no. 12, pp. 2147–2151, 2001.
- H. B. El-Serag, P. Lee, A. Buchner, J. M. Inadomi, M. Gavin, and D. M. McCarthy, “Lansoprazole treatment of patients with chronic idiopathic laryngitis: a placebo-controlled trial,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 979–983, 2001.
- A. J. Eherer, W. Habermann, H. F. Hammer, K. Kiesler, G. Friedrich, and G. J. Krejs, “Effect of pantoprazole on the course of reflux-associated laryngitis: a placebo-controlled double-blind crossover study,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 462–467, 2003.
- T. Havas, “Posterior pharyngolaryngitis. Double-blind randomised placebo-controlled trial of proton pump inhibitor therapy,” Australian Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 243–246, 1999.
- D. L. Steward, K. M. Wilson, D. H. Kelly et al., “Proton pump inhibitor therapy for chronic laryngo-pharyngitis: a randomized placebo-control trial,” Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 131, no. 4, pp. 342–350, 2004.
- K. Zeleník, P. Matoušek, O. Urban, P. Schwarz, I. Stárek, and P. Komínek, “Globus pharyngeus and extraesophageal reflux: simultaneous and analysis,” Laryngoscope, vol. 120, no. 11, pp. 2160–2164, 2010.
- P. C. Belafsky, G. N. Postma, and J. A. Koufman, “The validity and reliability of the reflux finding score (RFS),” Laryngoscope, vol. 111, no. 8, pp. 1313–1317, 2001.
- B. K. Oelschlager, T. R. Eubanks, N. Maronian et al., “Laryngoscopy and pharyngeal pH are complementary in the diagnosis of gastroesophageal-laryngeal reflux,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 189–194, 2002.
- T. Hoppo, A. F. Sanz, K. S. Nason et al., “How much pharyngeal exposure is “normal”? Normative data for laryngopharyngeal reflux events using hypopharyngeal multichannel intraluminal impedance (HMII),” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 16–24, 2012.
- S. Ayazi, J. C. Lipham, J. A. Hagen et al., “A new technique for measurement of pharyngeal pH: normal values and discriminating pH threshold,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1422–1429, 2009.
- G. J. Wiener, R. Tsukashima, C. Kelly et al., “Oropharyngeal pH monitoring for the detection of liquid and aerosolised supraesophageal gastric reflux,” Journal of Voice, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 498–504, 2009.
- G. Sun, S. Muddana, J. C. Slaughter et al., “A new pH catheter for laryngopharyngeal reflux: normal values,” Laryngoscope, vol. 119, no. 8, pp. 1639–1643, 2009.
- N. N. Chheda, M. W. Seybt, R. R. Schade, and G. N. Postma, “Normal values for pharyngeal pH monitoring,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 166–171, 2009.