- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 739029, 11 pages
Efficacy and Tolerability of Peginterferon α-2a and Peginterferon α-2b, Both plus Ribavirin, for Chronic Hepatitis C: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials
1Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center Affiliated to Fudan University, Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, No. 2901 Caolang Road, Jinshan District, Shanghai 201508, China
2Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Department of Oncology, Shanghai 200032, China
3Shanghai Cancer Center, Department of Integrative Medicine, Shanghai 200032, China
4The Central Hospital of China Aerospace Corporation, Beijing 100049, China
Received 29 December 2012; Revised 26 February 2013; Accepted 17 March 2013
Academic Editor: Fabio Marra
Copyright © 2013 Zongguo Yang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Omata, T. Kanda, M. L. Yu, et al., “APASL consensus statements and management algorithms for hepatitis C virus infection,” Hepatology International, vol. 6, pp. 409–435, 2012.
- European Association for the Study of the Liver, “EASL clinical practice guidelines:management of hepatitis C virus infection,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 245–264, 2011.
- L. B. Seeff, “The history of the “natural history” of hepatitis C (1968-2009),” Liver International, vol. 29, supplement 1, pp. 89–99, 2009.
- E. A. K. Schaefer and R. T. Chung, “Anti-hepatitis C virus drugs in development,” Gastroenterology, vol. 142, pp. 1340–1350, 2012.
- N. Yenice, O. Mehtap, M. Gümrah, and N. Arican, “The efficacy of pegylated interferon alpha 2a or 2b plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C patients,” Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 94–98, 2006.
- A. M. Di Bisceglie, R. H. Ghalib, F. M. Hamzeh, and V. K. Rustgi, “Early virologic response after peginterferon alpha-2a plus ribavirin or peginterferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin treatment in patients with chronic hepatitis C,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 721–729, 2007.
- G. Scotto, V. Fazio, C. Fornabaio et al., “Peg-Interferon alpha-2a versus Peg-Interferon alpha-2b in nonresponders with HCV active chronic hepatitis: a pilot study,” Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 623–630, 2008.
- J. G. McHutchison, E. J. Lawitz, M. L. Shiffman et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2b or alfa-2a with ribavirin for treatment of hepatitis C infection,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 6, pp. 580–593, 2009.
- M. G. Rumi, A. Aghemo, G. M. Prati et al., “Randomized study of peginterferon-α2a plus ribavirin vs peginterferon-α2b plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 108–115, 2010.
- A. Ascione, M. De Luca, M. T. Tartaglione et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin is more effective than peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin for treating chronic hepatitis C virus infection,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 116–122, 2010.
- T. H. Mach, A. Cieśla, W. Warunek, et al., “Efficacy of pegylated interferon alfa-2a or alfa-2b in combination with ribavirin in the treatment of chronic hepatitis caused by hepatitis C virus genotype 1b,” Polskie Archiwum Medycyny Wewnetrznej, vol. 121, no. 12, pp. 434–439, 2011.
- S. H. Zhao, E. Q. Liu, P. Chen, et al., “A comparison of peginterferon α-2a and α-2b for treatment-naïve patients with chronic hepatitis C virus: a meta-analysis of randomized trials,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 32, pp. 1565–1577, 2010.
- T. Awad, K. Thorlund, G. Hauser, D. Stimac, M. Mabrouk, and C. Gluud, “Peginterferon alpha-2a is associated with higher sustained virological response than peginterferon alfa-2B in chronic hepatitis C: systematic review of randomized trials,” Hepatology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1176–1184, 2010.
- A. K. Singal, S. C. Jampana, and B. S. Anand, “Peginterferon alfa-2a is superior to peginterferon alfa-2b in the treatment of naïve patients with hepatitis C virus infection: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 2221–2226, 2011.
- S. M. Alavian, B. Behnava, and S. V. Tabatabaei, “The comparative efficacy and safety of peginterferon Alpha-2a vs. 2b for the treatment of chronic HCV infection: a meta-analysis,” Hepatitis Monthly, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 121–131, 2010.
- J. P. T. Higgins and S. Green, Eds., Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011, http://handbook.cochrane.org/.
- J. P. T. Higgins and S. G. Thompson, “Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1539–1558, 2002.
- H. Berak, A. Horban, M. Wasilewski, et al., “Randomized, open label trial comparing efficacy and safety of pegylated interferon alfa 2a vs alfa 2b treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis C infected with non 2/3 genotypes—12 Week virological response analysis,” Hepatology, vol. 42, p. 684A, 2005.
- A. Kolakowska-Rzadzko, H. Berok, M. Wasilewski, and A. Horbon, “Relevance between fibrosis and response to treatment with peginterferon alfa 2a vs alfa 2b with ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C genotype 3 patients. Randomized open label study,” Hepatology, vol. 48, p. A878, 2008.
- S. Sinha, P. Gulur, V. Patel, G. Hage-Nassar, and S. Tenner, “A randomized prospective clinical trial comparing pegylated interferon alpha 2a/ribavirin versus pegylated interferon alpha 2b/ribavirin in the treatment of chronic hepatitis C,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, supplement, pp. S77–S78, 2004.
- A. Q. Khan, A. Awan, S. Shahbuddin, and Q. Igbal, “Peginterferon alfa 2a/ribavirin versus peginterferon alfa 2b/ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C genotype 3,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, p. A200, 2007.
- S. Kamal, D. Ghoraba, L. Nabegh, et al., “Pegylated interferon alfa-2A vs. pegylated interferon alfa-2B, plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C genotype 4 patients: a randomized controlled trial,” Hepatology, vol. 50, pp. A1025–A1026, 2009.
- C. Magni, F. Niero, B. Argenteri, et al., “Antiviral activity and tolerability between pegylated interferon alpha 2a and alpha 2b in naive patients with chronic hepatitis C: results of a prospective monocentric randomized trial,” Hepatology, vol. 50, p. A720, 2009.
- M. Silva, J. Poo, F. Wagner et al., “A randomised trial to compare the pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, and antiviral effects of peginterferon alfa-2b and peginterferon alfa-2a in patients with chronic hepatitis C (COMPARE),” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 204–213, 2006.
- S. Lee, I. H. Kim, S. H. Kim et al., “Efficacy and tolerability of pegylated interferon-α2a plus ribavirin versus pegylated interferon-α2b plus ribavirin in treatment-naive chronic hepatitis C patients,” Intervirology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 146–153, 2010.
- R. Bruno, P. Sacchi, V. Ciappina et al., “Viral dynamics and pharmacokinetics of peginterferon alpha-2a and peginterferon alpha-2b in naive patients with chronic hepatitis C: a randomized, controlled study,” Antiviral Therapy, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 491–497, 2004.
- M. Laguno, C. Cifuentes, J. Murillas et al., “Randomized trial comparing pegylated interferon -2b versus pegylated interferon -2a, both plus ribavirin, to treat chronic hepatitis C in human immunodeficiency virus patients,” Hepatology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 22–31, 2009.
- G. Scotto, V. Fazio, C. Fornabaio et al., “Early and sustained virological response in non-responders with chronic hepatitis C: a randomized open-label study of pegylated interferon-α-2a versus pegylated interferon-α-2b,” Drugs, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 791–801, 2008.
- N. Coppola, M. Pisaturo, C. Sagnelli, et al., “Efficacy and tolerability peginterferon a-2a and a-2b in patients with chronic hepatitis C by genotype 1: a meta-analysis,” Digestive and Liver Diseases, vol. 43, supplement, p. S94, 2011.
- A. Kau, J. Vermehren, and C. Sarrazin, “Treatment predictors of a sustained virologic response in hepatitis B and C,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 634–651, 2008.
- M. G. Ghany, D. B. Strader, D. L. Thomas, and L. B. Seeff, “Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C: an update,” Hepatology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1335–1374, 2009.
- M. W. Fried, M. L. Shiffman, K. R. Reddy et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 13, pp. 975–982, 2002.
- S. J. Hadziyannis, H. Sette Jr., T. R. Morgan et al., “Peginterferon-alpha 2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized study of treatment duration and ribavirin dose,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 346–I67, 2004.
- M. Rumi, A. Aghemo, and G. M. Prati, “Comparative trials of peginterferon α-2a and peginterferon α-2b for chronic hepatitis C,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 19, supplement 1, pp. 37–41, 2012.
- N. Hiramatsu, T. Oze, T. Yakushijin et al., “Ribavirin dose reduction raises relapse rate dose-dependently in genotype 1 patients with hepatitis C responding to pegylated interferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 586–594, 2009.
- N. Furusyo, M. Murata, E. Ogawa et al., “Ribavirin concentration in the later stages of 48 week pegylated interferon-α2b plus ribavirin therapy for chronic hepatitis C is useful for predicting virological response,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 1127–1139, 2011.
- S. Zeuzem, C. Welsch, and E. Herrmann, “Pharmacokinetics of peginterferons,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 23–28, 2003.
- R. Bruno, P. Sacchi, C. Scagnolari et al., “Pharmacodynamics of peginterferon alfa-2a and peginterferon alfa-2b in interferon-naïve patients with chronic hepatitis C: a randomized, controlled study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 369–376, 2007.
- G. R. Foster, “Pegylated interferons for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C: pharmacological and clinical differences between peginterferon-α-2a and peginterferon-α-2b,” Drugs, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 147–165, 2010.
- C. François, V. Descamps, E. Brochot et al., “Relationship between the hepatitis C viral load and the serum interferon concentration during the first week of peginterferon-alpha-2b-ribavirin combination therapy,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 1640–1646, 2010.
- G. R. Foster, “Review article: pegylated interferons: chemical and clinical differences,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 825–830, 2004.