- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 814054, 4 pages
Oral Glutamine Supplement Inhibits Ascites Formation in Peritoneal Carcinomatosis Mouse Model
1Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taiwan
2Mackay Junior College of Medicine, Nursing and Management, Taipei, Taiwan
3Mackay Medical College, New Taipei, Taiwan
4Department of Radiation Oncology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
5Graduate Institute of Pharmacology, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Received 12 July 2013; Accepted 12 September 2013
Academic Editor: Antoni Castells
Copyright © 2013 Ming-Jen Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Santarpia, L. Alfonsi, F. Pasanisi, C. de Caprio, L. Scalfi, and F. Contaldo, “Predictive factors of survival in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis on home parenteral nutrition,” Nutrition, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 355–360, 2006.
- J. M. Davies and B. O'Neil, “Peritoneal carcinomatosis of gastrointestinal origin: natural history and treatment options,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 913–919, 2009.
- P. Good, J. Cavenagh, M. Mather, and P. Ravenscroft, “Medically assisted nutrition for palliative care in adult patients,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD006274, 2008.
- M. H. Torosian, “Stimulation of tumor growth by nutrition support,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 16, supplement 6, pp. 72S–75S, 1992.
- M. H. Torosian and R. B. Donoway, “Total parenteral nutrition and tumor metastasis,” Surgery, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 597–601, 1991.
- J. K. Min, Y. M. Kim, S. W. Kim et al., “TNF-related activation-induced cytokine enhances leukocyte adhesiveness: Induction of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 via TNF receptor-associated factor and protein kinase C-dependent NF-κB activation in endothelial cells,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 531–540, 2005.
- S. Ghosh, S. Roy, M. Banerjee, and P. Maity, “Modulation of tumor induced angiogenesis in Ehrlich ascites tumor,” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 681–690, 2004.
- C. L. Yeh, C. S. Hsu, S. C. Chen, M. H. Pai, and S. L. Yeh, “Effect of glutamine on cellular adhesion molecule expression and leukocyte transmigration in endothelial cells stimulated by plasma or peritoneal drain fluid from a surgical patient,” Shock, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 236–240, 2006.
- J. M. Péron, C. Bureau, P. Gourdy et al., “Treatment of experimental murine pancreatic peritoneal carcinomatosis with fibroblasts genetically modified to express IL12: a role for peritoneal innate immunity,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 107–114, 2007.
- O. Stoeltzing, S. A. Ahmad, W. Liu et al., “Angiopoietin-1 inhibits tumour growth and ascites formaticn in a murine model of peritoneal carcinomatosis,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 1182–1187, 2002.
- M. Coëffier, O. Miralles-Barrachina, F. le Pessot et al., “Influence of glutamine on cytokine production by human gut in vitro,” Cytokine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 148–154, 2001.
- Y. C. Hou, C. S. Hsu, C. L. Yeh, W. C. Chiu, M. H. Pai, and S. L. Yeh, “Effects of glutamine on adhesion molecule expression and leukocyte transmigration in endothelial cells exposed to arsenic,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 700–704, 2005.
- K. S. Kuhn, M. Muscaritoli, P. Wischmeyer, and P. Stehle, “Glutamine as indispensable nutrient in oncology: experimental and clinical evidence,” European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 197–210, 2010.
- V. K. Todorova, S. A. Harms, Y. Kaufmann et al., “Effect of dietary glutamine on tumor glutathione levels and apoptosis-related proteins in DMBA-induced breast cancer of rats,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 247–256, 2004.
- V. K. Todorova, S. A. Harms, S. Luo, Y. Kaufmann, K. B. Babb, and V. S. Klimberg, “Oral glutamine (AES-14) supplementation inhibits PI-3K/Akt signaling in experimental breast cancer,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 404–410, 2003.
- M. M. Rogero, M. C. Borges, I. A. de Castro, I. S. Pires, P. Borelli, and J. Tirapegui, “Effects of dietary glutamine supplementation on the body composition and protein status of early-weaned mice inoculated with Mycobacterium bovis Bacillus Calmette-Guerin,” Nutrients, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 792–804, 2011.