- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 856256, 4 pages
Gastric Intestinal Metaplasia in an Underserved Population in the USA: Prevalence, Epidemiologic and Clinical Features
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County, 1901 W. Harrison Street Admin. bldg #1439, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Received 21 July 2013; Accepted 8 September 2013
Academic Editor: Vikram Kate
Copyright © 2013 Tarek Almouradi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer, http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheets/cancers/stomach.asp.
- National Cancer Institute Report, http://www.cancer.gov/.
- Surveillance epidemiology and results of the National Cancer Institute, http://seer.cancer.gov/faststats/selections.php?#Output.
- P. Correa, “Human gastric carcinogenesis: a multistep and multifactorial process—first American Cancer Society Award Lecture on Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention,” Cancer Research, vol. 52, no. 24, pp. 6735–6740, 1992.
- M. B. Fennerty, J. C. Emerson, R. E. Sampliner, D. L. McGee, J. L. Hixson, and H. S. Garewal, “Gastric intestinal metaplasia in ethnic groups in the southwestern United States,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 293–296, 1992.
- M. E. Craanen, W. Dekker, P. Blok, J. Ferweda, and G. N. J. Tytgat, “Intestinal metaplasia and Helicobacter pylori: an endoscopic bioptic study of the gastric antrum,” Gut, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 16–20, 1992.
- S. Eidt and M. Stolte, “Prevalence of intestinal metaplasia in Helicobacter pylori gastritis,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 607–610, 1994.
- Z. Tulassay, M. Stolte, L. Engstrand et al., “Twelve-month endoscopic and histological analysis following proton-pump inhibitor-based triple therapy in Helicobacter pylori-positive patients with gastric ulcers,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1048–1058, 2010.
- F. Petersson, K. Borch, and L. E. Franzén, “Prevalence of subtypes of intestinal metaplasia in the general population and in patients with autoimmune chronic atrophic gastritis,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 262–266, 2002.
- D. Vaira, A. Zullo, N. Vakil et al., “Sequential therapy versus standard triple-drug therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a randomized trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 8, pp. 556–563, 2007.
- M. Romano, A. Cuomo, A. G. Gravina et al., “Empirical levofloxacin-containing versus clarithromycin-containing sequential therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a randomised trial,” Gut, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1465–1470, 2010.
- G. Scaccianoce, C. Hassan, A. Panarese, D. Piglionica, S. Morini, and A. Zullo, “Helicobacter pylori eradication with either seven-day or 10-day triple therapies, and with a 10-day sequential regimen,” Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 113–117, 2006.
- A. Zullo, L. Gatta, V. de Francesco et al., “High rate of Helicobacter pylori eradication with sequential therapy in elderly patients with peptic ulcer: a prospective controlled study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 1419–1424, 2005.
- Y. K. Yee, K. W. Wong, C. K. Hui et al., “Prevalence and time trend of intestinal metaplasia in Hong Kong,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 896–899, 2009.
- B. C.-Y. Wong, S. K. Lam, W. M. Wong et al., “Helicobacter pylori eradication to prevent gastric cancer in a high-risk region of China: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 2, pp. 187–194, 2004.
- L. Y. Yeh, M. Raj, S. Hassan et al., “Chronic atrophic antral gastritis and risk of metaplasia and dysplasia in an area with low prevalence of Helicobacter pylori,” Indian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 49–52, 2009.
- N. Uemura, S. Okamoto, S. Yamamoto et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection and the development of gastric cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 11, pp. 784–789, 2001.