- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 863527, 8 pages
Surgical Management of Pediatric Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
1Department of Surgery, The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences, Washington, DC, USA
2Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation, Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
3Surgical Residency Training Program, Children's National Medical Center, Division of Pediatric Surgery, 111 Michigan Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20010-2970, USA
Received 21 December 2012; Revised 11 March 2013; Accepted 27 March 2013
Academic Editor: Deng-Chyang Wu
Copyright © 2013 Hope T. Jackson and Timothy D. Kane. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Hegar, N. R. Dewanti, M. Kadim, S. Alatas, A. Firmansyah, and Y. Vandenplas, “Natural evolution of regurgitation in healthy infants,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 1189–1193, 2009.
- D. J. Ostlie, “Gastroesophageal Reflux,” in Ashcraft's Pediatric Surgery, G. W. Holcomb, Ed., pp. 379–390, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2010.
- J. E. Dranove, “Focus on diagnosis: new technologies for the diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Pediatrics in Review, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 317–320, 2008.
- D. A. Gremse, “Gastroesophageal reflux disease in children: an overview of pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 35, supplement 4, pp. S297–S299, 2002.
- S. P. Nelson, E. H. Chen, G. M. Syniar, and K. K. Christoffel, “Prevalence of symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux during infancy: a pediatric practice-based survey,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 151, no. 6, pp. 569–572, 1997.
- J. J. Barron, H. Tan, J. Spalding, A. W. Bakst, and J. Singer, “Proton pump inhibitor utilization patterns in infants,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 421–427, 2007.
- F. C. Blanco, K. P. Davenport, and T. D. Kane, “Pediatric gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 92, pp. 541–558, 2012.
- E. A. Frankel, T. M. Shalaby, and S. R. Orenstein, “Sandifer syndrome posturing: relation to abdominal wall contractions, gastroesophageal reflux, and fundoplication,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 635–640, 2006.
- A. Reymunde and N. Santiago, “Long-term results of radiofrequency energy delivery for the treatment of GERD: sustained improvements in symptoms, quality of life, and drug use at 4-year follow-up,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 361–366, 2007.
- R. M. Sydorak and C. T. Albanese, “Laparoscopic antireflux procedures in children: evaluating the evidence,” Seminars in Laparoscopic Surgery, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 133–138, 2002.
- G. Mattioli, C. Esposito, M. Lima et al., “Italian multicenter survey on laparoscopic treatment of gastro-esophageal reflux disease in children,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1666–1668, 2002.
- D. H. Chung and K. E. Georgeson, “Fundoplication and gastrostomy,” Seminars in Pediatric Surgery, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 213–219, 1998.
- H. Steyaert, M. Al Mohaidly, M. A. Lembo, L. Carfagna, S. Tursini, and J. S. Valla, “Long-term outcome of laparoscopic Nissen and Toupet fundoplication in normal and neurologically impaired children,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 543–546, 2003.
- R. Subramaniam and A. P. Dickson, “Long-term outcome of Boix-Ochoa and Nissen fundoplication in normal and neurologically impaired children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1214–1216, 2000.
- R. Kubiak, J. Andrews, and H. W. Grant, “Long-term outcome of laparoscopic nissen fundoplication compared with laparoscopic thal fundoplication in children: a prospective, randomized study,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 253, no. 1, pp. 44–49, 2011.
- J. G. Hunter, C. D. Smith, G. D. Branum et al., “Laparoscopic fundoplication failures: patterns of failure and response to fundoplication revision,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 230, no. 4, pp. 595–606, 1999.
- “IPEG guidelines for the surgical treatment of pediatric gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD),” Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques A, vol. 19, supplement 1, 2009.
- H. Kawahara, H. Okuyama, A. Kubota et al., “Can laparoscopic antireflux surgery improve the quality of life in children with neurologic and neuromuscular handicaps?” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 1761–1764, 2004.
- G. Mattioli, O. Sacco, V. Gentilino et al., “Outcome of laparoscopic Nissen-Rossetti fundoplication in children with gastroesophageal reflux disease and supraesophageal symptoms,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 463–465, 2004.
- D. M. Diaz, T. E. Gibbons, K. Heiss, M. L. Wulkan, R. R. Ricketts, and B. D. Gold, “Antireflux surgery outcomes in pediatric gastroesophageal reflux disease,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 8, pp. 1844–1852, 2005.
- E. W. Fonkalsrud, K. W. Ashcraft, A. G. Coran et al., “Surgical treatment of gastroesophageal reflux in children: a combined hospital study of 7467 patients,” Pediatrics, vol. 101, no. 3 I, pp. 419–422, 1998.
- B. A. Jobe and J. H. Peters, “Esophagus and diaphragmatic hernia,” in Schwartz's Principles of Surgery, F. C. Brunicardi, T. R. Billiar, D. L. Dunn, J. G. Hunter, J. B. Matthews, and R. E. Pollock, Eds., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 9th edition, 2010.
- C. Esposito, P. Montupet, and O. Reinberg, “Laparoscopic surgery for gastroesophageal reflux disease during the first year of life,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 715–717, 2001.
- C. Esposito, P. Montupet, D. van Der Zee et al., “Long-term outcome of laparoscopic Nissen, Toupet, and Thal antireflux procedures for neurologically normal children with gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 855–858, 2006.
- D. I. Watson, R. J. Baigrie, and G. G. Jamieson, “A learning curve for laparoscopic fundoplication: definable, avoidable, or a waste of time?” Annals of Surgery, vol. 224, no. 2, pp. 198–203, 1996.
- J. J. Meehan and K. E. Georgeson, “The learning curve associated with laparoscopic antireflux surgery in infants and children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 426–429, 1997.
- S. S. Rothenberg, “Experience with 220 consecutive laparoscopic nissen fundoplications in infants and children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 274–278, 1998.
- J. Gill, M. I. Booth, J. Stratford, and T. C. B. Dehn, “The extended learning curve for laparoscopic fundoplication: a cohort analysis of 400 consecutive cases,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 487–492, 2007.
- R. T. Maxson, S. Harp, R. J. Jackson, S. D. Smith, and C. W. Wagner, “Delayed gastric emptying in neurologically impaired children with gastroesophageal reflux: the role of pyloroplasty,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 726–729, 1994.
- M. Pacilli, A. Pierro, K. J. Lindley, J. I. Curry, and S. Eaton, “Gastric emptying is accelerated following laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication,” European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 395–397, 2008.
- J. E. Bais, M. Samsom, E. A. J. Boudesteijn, P. P. van Rijk, L. M. A. Akkermans, and H. G. Gooszen, “Impact of delayed gastric emptying on the outcome of antireflux surgery,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 234, no. 2, pp. 139–146, 2001.
- G. J. P. Wilson, D. C. van der Zee, and N. M. A. Bax, “Endoscopic gastrostomy placement in the child with gastroesophageal reflux: is concomitant antireflux surgery indicated?” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1441–1445, 2006.
- R. H. Pearl, D. K. Robie, S. H. Ein et al., “Complications of gastroesophageal antireflux surgery in neurologically impaired versus neurologically normal children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1169–1173, 1990.
- R. Srivastava, J. G. Berry, M. Hall et al., “Reflux related hospital admissions after fundoplication in children with neurological impairment: retrospective cohort study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, Article ID b4411, 2009.
- P. W. Wales, I. R. Diamond, S. Dutta et al., “Fundoplication and gastrostomy versus image-guided gastrojejunal tube for enteral feeding in neurologically impaired children with gastroesophageal reflux,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 407–412, 2002.
- A. Bianchi, “Total esophagogastric dissociation: an alternative approach,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1291–1294, 1997.
- J. Boubnova, G. Hery, F. Ughetto, A. Charpentier, J. M. Guys, and P. de Lagausie, “Laparoscopic total esophagogastric dissociation,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. e1–e3, 2009.
- M. Thomson, A. Fritscher-Ravens, S. Hall, N. Afzal, P. Ashwood, and C. P. Swain, “Endoluminal gastroplication in children with significant gastro-oesophageal reflux disease,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 1745–1750, 2004.
- M. Thomson, B. Antao, S. Hall et al., “Medium-term outcome of endoluminal gastroplication with the EndoCinch device in children,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 172–177, 2008.
- W. C. E. Tam, M. N. Schoeman, Q. Zhang et al., “Delivery of radiofrequency energy to the lower oesophageal sphincter and gastric cardia inhibits transient lower oesophageal sphincter relaxations and gastro-oesophageal reflux in patients with reflux disease,” Gut, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 479–485, 2003.
- M. D. Noar and S. Lotfi-Emran, “Sustained improvement in symptoms of GERD and antisecretory drug use: 4-year follow-up of the Stretta procedure,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 367–372, 2007.
- S. S. Rothenberg, “The first decade's experience with laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication in infants and children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 142–147, 2005.
- T. D. Kane, M. F. Brown, and M. K. Chen, “Position paper on laparoscopic antireflux operations in infants and children for gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1034–1040, 2009.
- T. E. Lobe, “The current role of laparoscopic surgery for gastroesophageal reflux disease in infants and children,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 167–174, 2007.
- C. Capito, M. D. Leclair, H. Piloquet, V. Plattner, Y. Heloury, and G. Podevin, “Long-term outcome of laparoscopic Nissen-Rossetti fundoplication for neurologically impaired and normal children,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 875–880, 2008.
- S. S. Rothenberg, “Laparoscopic redo Nissen fundoplication in infants and children,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1518–1520, 2006.